Carroll County 88 Grant County 79

To their credit, CC shot 63% from the field, 44% from the arc.

But the bigger story is that Carrol had one player attempt 21 free throws while Grants whole team attempted 20. This was a rough game for sure. Grant had all 5 starters and the 6th man with 2 fouls each in the first half. Grant better learn pretty quick that high school refs in the state of KY have been dreadful for many many years. This is nothing new.

In the end, Grant was out hustled, outplayed, out coached and fouled out of this game.

Congratulations to CC.

In the end, Grant was out hustled, outplayed, out coached and fouled out of this game.

Congratulations to CC.

I hate it when people say that. I don't even understand what it means and I doubt anyone can give me an actual definition.

I beat Summit View last night, I guess I out-coached the opposing coach. I lost to St. Mary's last week, I guess I was out-coached.

I hate it when people say that. I don't even understand what it means and I doubt anyone can give me an actual definition.

I beat Summit View last night, I guess I out-coached the opposing coach. I lost to St. Mary's last week, I guess I was out-coached.

That drives me nuts as well...

At the HS level, wouldn't it simply mean that one coach had a better game plan, and made the right moves to put his team in position to win? Could also be in the training, teaching, and scouting department.

I know that great players make great coaches, but I also believe that coaches have a huge impact on the game at the HS level, and there are certainly better coaches than others. Just like players.

Certainly doesn't play a role in every win/loss, but i believe it matters.

At the HS level, wouldn't it simply mean that one coach had a better game plan, and made the right moves to put his team in position to win? Could also be in the training, teaching, and scouting department.

I know that great players make great coaches, but I also believe that coaches have a huge impact on the game at the HS level, and there are certainly better coaches than others. Just like players.

Certainly doesn't play a role in every win/loss, but i believe it matters.

I agree with you, but I would like to see more definitive proof when the comment was made. It is easy to just say "outcoached". Why was the coach outcoached? Isn't this the same coach who was getting so much praise for having his team ready to play early in the season?

I agree with you, but I would like to see more definitive proof when the comment was made. It is easy to just say "outcoached". Why was the coach outcoached? Isn't this the same coach who was getting so much praise for having his team ready to play early in the season?

I definitely agree with you here. If you're going to say it, provide some proof or evidence. Often times, people who are jaded with the coach say things like that. That may or may not be true in this case, I'm unsure. But, that is often the context of which I hear it. That said, I do believe you can be "out-coached."

First of all let me say that Grants coach is a very good coach but on this particular night, IMO, he was out coached. Not necessarily by the other coach but by the circumstance.

Here's why: Grants players seemed to grow increasingly frustrated by the lopsided officiating. As a result, poor shot selection, forced passes into tight windows and other mistakes were made. It's in those moments that coaches usually do 1 of 2 things.

1) Give the officials an ear full to purposely draw a technical (to back up the players).

2) Call a timeout and approach the players with a sense of calm to settle them down and regroup.

Grant has a very good team from coaches all the way down. But on this particular night, the circumstances dictated the outcome. This is HS basketball, and everyone learns from adversity. Grant will be fine.

First of all let me say that Grants coach is a very good coach but on this particular night, IMO, he was out coached. Not necessarily by the other coach but by the circumstance.

Here's why: Grants players seemed to grow increasingly frustrated by the lopsided officiating. As a result, poor shot selection, forced passes into tight windows and other mistakes were made. It's in those moments that coaches usually do 1 of 2 things.

1) Give the officials an ear full to purposely draw a technical (to back up the players).

2) Call a timeout and approach the players with a sense of calm to settle them down and regroup.

Grant has a very good team from coaches all the way down. But on this particular night, the circumstances dictated the outcome. This is HS basketball, and everyone learns from adversity. Grant will be fine.

And no, this is not a knock on the coach at all.

The team with more talent on the High School boys level wins 90% of the time. Billy Hicks does a great job, but he's never not had talent. If he did not have bundles of talented players every year at Corbin and Scott County would he still be as successful as he has been without the talent?

Of course not. When teams are of relatively equal talent/potential, coaching matters. The better the players over time, the better the coach over time.