Western Kentucky Power Rankings & Playoff Preview - October 28, 2019

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2018 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 11 & Playoff Preview Edition

Concerning the top story line for this week: The third season has arrived: Playoff Time! The time most of us cherish most, as teams prepare for the win or go home drama ahead! Looking back, we have had some terrific football this season! These playoffs seem pretty open (At least initially) with many teams in the West capable of making deep playoff runs! Get your honey-do’s out of the way Sports Fans and get out and watch some playoff High School Football! Nothing Like it!

Popcorn N Coke Top 10 Version – Week 11:

Man 3 soggy Fridays in a row!!! My weather man said we have had rain on Fridays 60% of the time this year! That seems like a lot to me! But it’s not quite as cold as it has been in years past, so ya give up something and you get something at the same time. Sort of the way life is really! Such it is on Football Friday Nights!

1. South Warren 5A (10-0): Win 42-12 at 2A Owensboro Catholic

2. Mayfield 2A (10-0): Win 31-14 vs 3A Caldwell County

3. Bowling Green 5A (8-2): Win 52-0 vs 5A Bullitt Central

4. Franklin Simpson 4A (9-1): Win 53-6 vs 1A Russellville

5. Owensboro 5A (8-2): Win 35-21 at 6A Henderson County

6. Owensboro Catholic 2A (7-3): Loss 42-12 at 5A South Warren

7. Caldwell County 3A (7-3): Loss 31-14 at 2A Mayfield

8. Madisonville – North Hopkins 4A (8-2): Win 43-29 at 3A Fort Campbell

9. Glasgow 2A (9-1): Win 35-34 at 3A Elizabethtown

10. Paducah Tilghman 3A (8-2): Win 12-8 at 5A Christian County

Week 11 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: (10-0) 2A Mayfield 31 vs (7-3) 3A Caldwell County 14. Well it was much closer than last season! But the total yards for this game was roughly 400 for Mayfield and 125 for Caldwell County! Not really close! Add that to roughly 200 yards in penalties largely helps keep it close! Still Mayfield didn’t play well early on and committed 5 turnovers in the game! Caldwell played pretty well especially early on BUT still couldn’t get closer than 17 points to the Cardinals! Just shows you how good Mayfield is!

Meat & Potato’s Version Week 11 Top 10:

10) Paducah Tilghman (3A) – Preseason Rank (PR): 18; Last Week (LW): 10 - 2018 Record 7-2 [District Record 3-1]: Week 11: Win 12-8 vs 5A Christian County (4-6). Defensive struggle with very limited scoring. Both teams have good defenses! Both teams had 1 offensive TD, but Tilghman also ran the opening kickoff back for a key TD early in the game!

Playoff Snapshot: Where did this team come from? Recently, it seems we all know Tilghman has athletes, but they haven’t been able to seriously put together a truly competitive season in a while, which is a BIG testament to this team and this new coaching staff! This team has been fun to keep up with and had it not been for injuries may have moved farther up this list! Still GREAT Job Blue Tornados!!!

Floor: Elizabethtown is a good football team! They won’t be an easy out! You will face them in the second round and it will be in Etown! You are capable, but this is your floor!

Ceiling: Show up at Caldwell County Week 3 and take the lead late with a big special teams play and pull off the HUGE win! Travel to Louisville Central the day after Thanksgiving and give them all they want, but just not meant to be and come up just short!

Purple88 Pick: The Blue Tornados tomahawk Poor Ole’ Hart County, who needed an extra tank of fuel just to get over to the Purchase! Play Etown in a nip and tuck game and find a way to win! Travel the following week back over to Caldwell County and put up a good fight, but just not enough balance on offense to get the job done! Still something to build on for next season and a terrific 2018 campaign!!!

9) Glasgow (2A) – PR: 12; LW: 9 - 2018 Record (9-1) [District Record 3-0]: Week 11: Win 35-34 at 3A Rival Elizabethtown (6-4). Best game of the week right there! The Scotties battled Etown back and forth with RB Nick Mitchell playing very well for Glasgow! Big win for momentum purposes going into the playoffs!

Playoff Snapshot: This is one of the best Scotties teams I can remember! They are deep, athletic and very physical on the lines! They will be a tough out! With 2 of the 3 2A Beasts on the other side of the bracket and no Beast in sight until after Thanksgiving, you have to love your chances Scotties Fans for a long journey this year!

Floor: I suppose Walton-Verona is good enough to win the game; I just don’t think they are near as good as this Glasgow team. So I’m sayin it’s a disappointment to not make the State Semi-Final game!

Ceiling: 2A Region 2 is looking REALLY good for the Scotties being matched up with District 5 (Walton Verona District) instead of usual District 4 (CAL or Desales!)! I love the Scotties to win Region 2! Even year (2018), so they would likely host the Mayfield Cardinals (but OCATH will have something to say about that)! While I think you can win that game, especially in Glasgow (and long trip over for Mayfield), I just don’t think you will. No shame there; ask just about every team in Western Kentucky!

Purple 88 Pick: Scottie Nation will roll this early competition in my book! They will roll all the way to the State Semi-Final and meet a determined Mayfield Cardinal squad where it is commonplace to be playing at Thanksgiving! And while I firmly feel Glasgow will play well; they ultimately fall just short in a WHALE of a game! Go Scotties!

8) Madisonville – North Hopkins (4A) – PR: 9; LW: 8 - 2018 Record 8-2; [District Record 4-0] Week 11: Win 43-29 at Poor Ole 3A Fort Campbell (1-9). Even though I picked the Maroons 9th in the pre-season there was still some hesitation in my mind of “is this team just going to do the same ole – same ole” this year? I mean they have been a decent team for a long while, but have never been able to put it together for a consistent run at the Big Dance! I feel this District Championship is firmly a step in the positive direction! While I’m not and wasn’t expecting the Maroons to win the State Championship, I was expecting them to compete with the teams in their district and be a solid out come playoff time! Mission Accomplished for Coach Burgett & Crew!

Playoff Snapshot: An easy first round game, where winless Warren Central comes calling will wet the whistle of Maroon fans wanting more! That will certainly come Week 2… But at Home! Play loose Maroons; you have nothing to lose!

Floor: Come in “unfocused” in Week 2 and let the survivor of Hopkinsville at Warren East gain early momentum; sprinkle on a few turnovers and its Good Night Irene!

Ceiling: I think the Maroons are capable of blowing out their first 2 opponents; both in Madisonville! Show up Week 3 in Franklin and play a WHALE of a game! But just not in the cards this year. Franklin is just too good a team this year for a 1 dimensional (good 1-dimensional, but still 1-dimentional) team!

Purple88 Pick: Running clock poor ole Warren Central; beat a solid Warren East squad in Round 2 in a nip & tuck game; travel to Shadetree Stadium and battle the #2 4A Team in the State tooth and nail for a good quarter. But this Franklin squad simply has too much experience, talent and coaching to lose in this spot IMO. But great season Maroons!!! Keep building!

7) Caldwell County (3A) – PR: 10; LW: 6 - 2018 Record (7-3) [District Record 4-0]: WESTERN KENTUCKY GAME OF THE WEEK Week 11 Results: Loss 31-14 at 2A Mayfield (10-0). The Tigers came out strong early and had a lead a time or two. But Mayfield is simply too strong! No shame there!

Playoff Snapshot: The Tigers affirmed their relevancy in Western Kentucky football with a strong regular season in 2018 only losing to 5A Christian County, 4A Hopkinsville and Mayfield! Even with the loss to Mayfield, this team has the potential to go a long way in the playoffs this season!

Floor: IMO Larue County would have a punchers chance against you in Week 2, but that game is in Princeton, so I would never pick it. But that is your floor!

Ceiling: Beat Tilghman or Etown for the Region! Go to Louisville Central and play really well in a very tough environment (be sure to pick up the Fish Sandwich at the concession stand! Lights Out Good!), but you’re talkin about a team that has only lost to very tough 6A Ballard and 6A St Xavier, both on the road, by a combined 8 points! I just don’t see it!

Purple88 Pick: Running clock Edmonson County; Beat tough and physical Larue County in a closer than predicted game. Stay home for the regional final thanks to Tilghman! And beat them by a TD late in the 4th Quarter! Travel the day after Thanksgiving to a really good Louisville Central team and just come up short! No shame there!

6) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – PR: 13; LW: 5; 2018 Record 7-3 [District Record 4-0]: Week 11 Results: Loss 42-12 vs 5A South Warren (10-0)! Aces played very well in this game! They threw the first punch and let 6-0 in the first quarter. South came back and answered and they led 14-6 at the half! The Spartans then ran off 28 consecutive points thanks to the help of their stout defense! About what I expected. No shame in this loss Aces!

Playoff Snapshot: The Aces have competed really well this season (even all the way back at the Central Hardin 7v7 tournament!)! They have played difficult out-of-district opponents who have made them better for the games they are nearing now!

Floor: Murray is an old foe you have battled on many occasions back in the day in this spot and they have won some of those battles! While their offense isn’t as refined as yours, they are still capable of competing with you even in Owensboro, but especially if it is a nasty weather night! As the Tigers will smash-mouth you from the time you get off the bus! They are under the radar and you need to put them away early! They are your floor in Round 2!

Ceiling: While my Murray For President speech above is nice an all, this Aces team “should” be way yonder too much for the Tigers, especially if it is a decent weather night where Hartz and company can let the pigskin fly!!! That would set up another Regional Final battle with the Mayfield Cardinals. I’m not tellin ya anything you didn’t already know here am I Aces Fans!!! You knew this game was on the horizon from the time the season started. And in this “ceiling” scenario, I could see OCATH being the beneficiary of key turnovers and untimely Mayfield penalties! And in that scenario, OCATH could win. If they did, they would likely travel to Glasgow to take on the Scotties who have a really good team as well!!! But since I’m rollin, what the heck, Aces win this one too in a terrific game! Travel to the Grocery Bag in Lexington and represent the West!

Purple88 Pick: Running clock vs Webster County in Round 1; Beat a determined Murray squad in Week 2 by 14. Host Mayfield in a great game where it’s tied at half, but the Cardinals make the plays to take the game in the second half! No shame there Aces! Great Season!

5) Owensboro (5A) – PR: 4; LW: 7 - 2018 Record 8-2; [District Record 4-0] Week 11: Win 35-21 at Old Rival 6A Henderson County (6-4). Red Devils get a hard fought road win to prepare them for the playoffs! RB Tre Green plays really well as did the Red Devil defense, who likely had to do more than was expected in this game, but give the Colonels some credit here as well!

Playoff Snapshot: The Red Devils are one of the hottest teams in the state right now. To be fair, they haven’t played a murderer’s row since seeing the Purples in Week 4, but there is something to be said for taking down who is in front of you! Red Devil offense is playing very well! Red Devil defense is playing better than the offense IMO! Makes for a surging playoff bound team! Opponents beware!

Floor: This isn’t your girlfriends Greenwood Team! Red Devils ROLL in Round 1! You floor is CLEARLY Round 2 vs Bowling Green!

Ceiling: This is a tough call for me. In the second round, if you don’t see my Purples come calling again, I will be shocked! It will be a great game! BG has won 17 in a row against a very good program. That streak has to end sometime. Owensboro was clearly in the game in September! I can see the Red Devils getting the Purples off their back in this HOME game! If you do, you’d have to travel to South Warren, who is just a little bit hotter than you guys are. I think South Warren’s offense would struggle with the Red Devil defense. But I think the Owensboro offense would have more struggles with the South Warren defense. And I think your ceiling is right here in a hard fought Regional Final game.

Purple88 Pick: Owensboro blows the doors off Greenwood and hosts the Purples in Week 2! While I think Owensboro is clearly capable of beating Bowling Green, I just can’t pick them to do it here. Call me a Homer if you like, but that’s the honest truth! Terrific turnaround after a very tough 2017 campaign! Good luck Red Devils!

4). Franklin Simpson (4A) – PR: 5; LW: 4 - 2018 Record 9-1; [District Record 3-0] Week 11 Results: Win 53-6 vs 1A Old Foe Russellville (4-6). Just 2 teams at completely different levels here. I like the tradition, but perhaps it’s time to consider an exit strategy for this series. Just a thought! Russellville will be better in the future, but likely not good enough to beat Franklin anytime soon.

Playoff Snapshot: Another inspiring year for Wildcat Nation! And with it being an even year (2018), you will host the Region games as long as you’re alive! Can’t beat that Wildcat Fans!!! This team has been steadier than I anticipated. They took a shot from a terrific team (South Warren), but stiffened against the next notch or so down (Meade County and Glasgow). Strong, well-coached team!

Floor – Week 2 when Logan County comes calling will be a game you don’t want to come in unprepared for. Logan County has very talented players and are also well coached. And it’s for these reasons, that Logan County is your floor.

Ceiling – Franklin Simpson is a team that is FULLY capable to return to the Grocery Bag in Lexington and bringing back another trophy to Western Kentucky! Can’t put it any more simply than that!

Purple88 Pick: Running Clock Calloway County in Round 1; play a determined Logan County team in Round 2 and pull away in the fourth quarter. Host the Madisonville Maroons and get near a running clock. I honestly don’t know a ton about the teams in Region 1 (other than John Hardin), but of those teams, this year, I likely would put Louisville Moore on that semi-state line with Franklin. Moore has only 1 loss on the year and that was at your familiar foe Johnson Central up in the Mountains! So this is a dangerous game for Franklin, but semi-stat games are supposed to be! Not backin up on Franklin now, so I like you to go back to Lexington looking to repeat as 4A Champions! Good luck Wildcats! I’ll be pulling for you!

3) Bowling Green (5A) – PR: 1; LW: 3 - 2018 Record 8-2; [District Record 2-1] Week 11 Results: Win 52-0 vs 5A Bullitt Central (6-4). Nothin like a 50 Burger to make our blues go away Purples Fans! BG did just about whatever they wanted against completely overmatched Bullitt Central! The Cougars had 1 first down in the first half and not many more than that in the second half! Nice rebound Purples!

Playoff Snapshot: The Purples have played just above medium this year. Come on Purple88, they are 8 and 2 and have a home game going into the playoffs and ranked #5 in the BGP 5A poll! While that is true, the first game of the season vs Central Hardin, the takeaways were: too many penalties and too many dropped passes! And other than the St X game, I would say that is still the takeaways of this team. Are they a good team? Sure, but at BG I think the goal is more than just good! That bar has been set some time ago (likely unfairly high)! The good thing for this Purples team is that there is still time to put the band together! What do I mean by that? BG hasn’t played a complete game (except against the cupcakes when they didn’t need it) yet! But they are capable! And I am hoping to see it! Will we? You tell me…

Floor – If BG loses in the first round at home to Christian County, it will be a major upset in my book and that’s why I’m moving on from there. But the Second Round in Owensboro at Rash Stadium is where the rubber meets the road, as the Red Devils are clearly capable of winning that game! Owensboro is the Purples floor!

Ceiling – This team is capable, IMO, of making the 4 Game Run to Lexington! It’s that simple! Am I drinkin the Purple Kool-aid? Maybe… You tell me…

Purple88 Pick: I think BG comes out inspired at home and plays well against a proud senior laden Christian County team. I think they travel to Rash Stadium and have to scratch and claw, scrap and poke for 48 minutes to get the win against the Red Devils. They travel over to Nashville Road for a rematch with the Spartans, who have been at the country club compared to BGs road in the playoffs, and play the Spartans as well as anyone and closer than the regular season game, but simply come up short to a well-rested, well-prepared team determined to make a deep run as well! No shame there!

2) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 3; LW: 2 - 2018 Record 10-0; [District Record 3-0] WESTERN KENTUCKY GAME OF THE WEEK Week 11: Win 31-14 vs 3A Western Kentucky Rival Caldwell County (7-3). Not many teams can give up 5 turnovers and over 200 yards in penalties and still win by 17! Pretty impressive if you think of it that way. And while I am impressed in that, you can’t play that way against the good teams on the road and expect to keep winning! Cardinals need to ratchet the turnovers and penalties back down!

Playoff Snapshot: The Cardinals are Team Orogeny! No, it’s not a dirty word! It’s a geologic term meaning “the process of forming a mountain”. I know of no other team in Western Kentucky that over the years typifies being the mountain that you must get over more than the Mayfield Cardinals!!! They are on another run and will be VERY difficult to stop!

Floor: While I really like what McLean County has put together this season, when they come to War Memorial Stadium Week 2, it will not end well (still a great year for McLean County!). So the Mayfield floor will be Week 3 in Owensboro vs the Owensboro Catholic Aces! Plain and simple!

Ceiling: This team is clearly capable of going back to the Grocery Bag in Lexington to play for yet another State Championship!

Purple88 Pick: I think Mayfield goes to Lexington is the bottom line. I think the first and second round games are running clocks. I think the OCath game will not be a running clock, but I think Mayfield wins decisively! They would then have to saddle back up and travel about 3.5 hours east to Glasgow to play a Very Good Glasgow team. If this game were in Mayfield, it would be a comfortable win for Mayfield, but with all the logistics against them, I think Mayfield wins a much closer game; maybe by 14 points! They would then come all the way back across the state the next week to meet the CAL/Desales survivor on the other side of the bracket at the Grocery Bag! Tough game there, but I’m going WKY with Mayfield!!! Good luck Cardinals!!!

1) South Warren (5A) – PR: 2; LW: 1 - 2018 Record 10-0; [District Record 3-0] Week 11: Win 42-12 at 2A Owensboro Catholic (7-3). Spartans wear down a solid OCATH team that played very well in the first half. Spartans regroup at halftime and overwhelm the Aces in the 3rd Quarter! Good win preparing for the playoffs!

Playoff Snapshot: “To the Victor goes the spoils”, no truer words were said for this seasons South Warren Spartans! The Spartans have earned an all expensed ride to the 5A Region 1 Finals! No one will stand in their way until a decent game in the Regional Final! Enjoy this Spartans Fans!!!

Floor: I respect @coachhawk over at Apollo a lot! And Graves County has put me in my place before, but neither have anything this season that can stop this Spartan team! Plain and simple. Therefore, the Spartans floor is the survivor of the Bowling Green vs Owensboro game in the Regional Final!

Ceiling: South Warren has the ability to make it to the 5A Finals in Lexington – plain and simple!!!

Purple88 Pick: South Warren puts a running clock on both opponents in the first 2 rounds! Then wait for the road-weary Purples to finally make it back for another try! It is much closer than the first match, but South again prevails in a tough well played football game! The Spartans would then have to travel up to NE Louisville to take on a solid South Oldham squad. But South Oldham has not played anyone with the players South Warren has. Comfortable win for the Spartans! From there, you likely head to the Grocery Bag to take on the Colonels of Covington Catholic! Good luck Spartans!!!

Next 10 - 11 Thru 20 –

11. McCracken County (6A) – PR: 14; LW: 11 - (2018 Record 7-3) Week 11 Results – BYE Week. It would have been worth your while to drive to Etown to watch Ballard beat Central Hardin last week; at least watch the film. But it has been a terrific campaign almost out of thin air Mustang Fans! First, you were really down in the early part of the year and now you’re District Champs and should get an easy first round win!

Playoff Snapshot: The Mustangs have put themselves in position to get a home playoff win! After the beginning of the season, I’d call that a win for the McCracken County Program!

Purple88 Pick: I think the Mustangs lay the wood to Jeffersontown! Likely a running clock game! Week 2 vs Ballard you have a chance in this game, but it’s not a great chance. While I like you to play well, I just don’t see you beating Ballard, even at home! But still a terrific year Mustangs!!! Coach Clark doing a great job!

12. Logan County (4A) – PR: 8; LW: 12 - 2018 Record 9-1; [District Record 3-1] Week 11 Results: Win 28-0 at 2A Todd County Central (5-5). Cougar offense put up over 400 yards without star QB Tyler Ezell! RB Gary Hardy plays awfully well!

Playoff Snapshot: Football can be a difficult game! I say that to describe only 1 loss in 2 seasons after a long losing streak and it just so happens to be a loss to knock you out of the District Championship! Such is life! Still a great season for the Cougars!!!

Purple88 Pick: I think Logan County will be fired up when Allen County-Scottsville comes calling and wins in convincing fashion! The road then turns 30 minutes down State Route 100 to Franklin. The Wildcats have earned the right to host this Region Semifinal game. And they are playing awfully well. While I think Logan County “could” win this game, I simply don’t think they will. Just too much to ask on the road against the defending State Champions! No shame there! Great Season Cougars!!!

13. Crittenden County (1A) – PR: 17; LW: 14 (2018 Record 9-1) Week 11 Results: Win: 61-1 vs 4A Hopkins County Central (3-7). Crittenden blew the doors off poor ole Hopkins County Central! SR Stars QB Hunter Boone and RB Devon Nesbitt made their last regular season home game at Rocket Stadium memorable with great games! You will see them later!

Playoff Snapshot: The Rockets have had an awfully good 2018 campaign up to this point! Yes, curmudgeons would say “yeah, what about the Caldwell County game”! Well the last time I looked, Caldwell County is a heck of a football team with a terrific defense and they are a 3A school! This Rocket senior group has already notched 29 wins during their high school career. I think they have a couple more in their tank!

Purple88 Pick: While round 1 will be an easy running clock win vs Poor Ole Caverna, my heart goes out to those guys, as I know it’s been a very long season for them! From there, I hope Fulton County can make a trip back to Marion, but I can’t pick it here as I think Bethlehem takes care of the Pilots, who have had a terrific 2018 campaign! Bethlehem and Crittenden County aren’t unfamiliar foes. They have played each other in the playoffs the past 2 seasons with the home team winning each time. So that’s great news Rockets fans, as that game would be in Marion and I really like your chances there! From there, all roads point to Campbellsville, who beat the Rockets in Marion last playoff season convincingly when Devonte Cubit ran wild for 5 TDs! Great thing is Rockets Fans that Cubit was a senior last year! Awesome! Problem is this Eagles team has only lost to a tough Casey County squad and scored no less than 34 points in every game this year! And while I want to pick you in this game, I just think the long trip over (about 3.5 hours by bus) will be too much to overcome. But I hope I’m wrong as I’d like to see you get a shot at Beechwood! Good luck Rockets!!!

14. Graves County (5A) – PR: 15; LW: 13 - 2018 Record 5-5: Week 11 Results: Win 53-31 at 4A Calloway County (3-7). Star QB Ryan Mathis almost single handedly blew out the Lakers! You will see his numbers later! Good way to head into the playoffs Eagles!!!

Playoff Snapshot: Not much better “Hot or Cold” team than Graves County! Now injuries have certainly pushed them to that moniker, but just seems they are either in it to win it or its blow out city! And such is that path I see them taking in this year’s playoffs!

Purple88 Pick: QB Ryan Mathis is a terrific player, but too much is on his shoulders IMO. First round opponent Grayson County has played really well this season and stud RB/DB Q Daryius McHenry is an undervalued athlete that was very impressive in my one viewing of him this season. So while Graves County should clearly be the favorite here, in the back of my mind I honestly think Grayson County has a shot in this game! But calling it right now, I say Graves wins that game. They unfortunately then travel to South Warren and that’s all she wrote!!! Keep battling Eagles!!!

15. Daviess County (6A) – PR: 7; LW: 16 - 2018 Record 6-4; [District Record 2-2] Week 11 Results: Win 43-19 vs 5A City Rival Apollo (5-5)! The Panthers held a roughly 500 yard to 300 yard advantage on the Eagles! Star QB Joey Cambron and Star WR Marquel Tinsley had great games. You will see them later.

Playoff Snapshot: The Panthers have been all over the place really. They have not been able to establish any consistency most of this season. A lot has to do with injuries and a porous defense. But getting the Week 11 win, can sometimes heal a lot of ailments and you have to think Daviess County is a dangerous team going into the playoffs!

Purple88 Pick: That being said and due to the Panthers erratic play, they end up in the #3 district slot and have to travel to very tough Ballard (6-4)! The Bruins will definitely be the favorites in this game. I think Daviess County will have to play their best game of the year to have a chance in this game. Good luck Panthers!!!

16. Henderson County (6A) – PR: 20; LW: 15 - (2018 Record 6-4) [District Record 3-1) Week 11 Results: Loss 35-21 vs 5A Owensboro! The Colonels battle well in this game, only down 21-7 at the half. Then scrap back and forth with a good Owensboro team! This should help the Colonels prepare for the post season; although I heard of a couple injured during this game. Certainly hope they can bounce back!

Playoff Snapshot: I said WAY back in the Pre-Season that Henderson would have a good season if they could compete for the district championship and host a first round playoff game! Well Mission Accomplished Colonel Fans!!! No shame losing to a good Owensboro team either! Now focus on beating an undervalued Eastern Eagles (3-7) squad!

Purple88 Pick: My gut tells me Eastern won’t be fired up to drive 2.5 hours west of Louisville to play Hendo! Even if they are, I still like Henderson’s chances in this opening round game and say the Colonels get to celebrate a home round 1 win!!! But Round 2 will draw the vaunted Trinity Shamrocks in Louisville and that unfortunately spells the end of the line. But you have to feel pretty good about your program Colonel Fans!!! Good luck!!!

17. Hopkinsville (4A) – PR: 6; LW: 18 - 2018 Record 4-6; [District Record 2-2] Week 11 Result: Win 43-0 at struggling 5A Greenwood (2-8). No team in Western Kentucky seems to have faced the degree of debilitating adversity that Hopkinsville has faced this season! When star JR QB Jay Bland went down to injury in the second half of the rivalry battle with Christian County, it placed a big hit on this team! And ultimately took their best outside weapon away to place him under center. A move I certainly understand was required, but further crippled the offense. BUT, the Tigers have never quit and that is admirable with all the issues they have faced this year.

Playoff Snapshot: Don’t look now, but the Tigers are on a 3 game win streak and it is hard earned and very much needed! That momentum now turn east toward Bowling Green where Hoptown will visit for a Round 1 showdown with a scrappy Warren East (6-4) squad! The Raiders typically beat who they are supposed to and lose to who they are supposed to. No real shame there! This should be one of the best first round games out there! Both teams are capable in this one!

Purple88 Pick: While I definitely think you can win this game Tigers, I would not pick you to. Mostly because you are playing on the road and all three of the teams you just beat couldn’t beat Warren East. It’s that plain and simple!!! But good luck nonetheless Tiger Nation!!!

18. Christian County (5A) – PR: 11; LW: 16 - 2018 Record 4-6; [District Record 2-2] Week 11 Results: Loss 12-8 vs Stout 3A Paducah Tilghman (8-2). The Colonel D played very well in this game and only gave up a few scores to a pretty good offense. But the County offense could only take advantage of a short (8 yard) field given by a shank punt on the entire night! Not good!

Playoff Snapshot: Well sports fans, the Colonels are on a 3 game losing streak. Not the way you draw it up on the blackboard! The Colonels have faced many issues this season (tremendous graduating class, player transfers, coaching changes, and etc.), but I don’t think they have quit. But they seem to still be a bit of a work in progress, especially on offense. So while I know they have some good athletes and have good coaches, I don’t have the sense that they are primed for a deep playoff run!

Purple88 Pick: County travels east along Route 68/80 to face the Purples of Bowling Green one more time! While these 2 have played some really good games in the past, it appears BG has shaken off the funk of their recent 2 game losing streak, I don’t like the Colonels chances on the road at El Donaldson Stadium! Plain and simple!

19. Apollo (5A) – PR: 16; LW: 20 - (2018 Record 5-5) Week 11 Results: Loss 43-19 at 6A County Rival Daviess County (6-4). I don’t have any information here, but hopefully Apollo didn’t sustain any injuries!

Playoff Snapshot: The Eagles have played well in Coach Philip Hawkins first season off Tamarack Road! They are in a very difficult district and simply couldn’t repeat a fantastic district run from last season. But no shame there as I didn’t think you should have won those games anyway. With that said, it is likely to be a short 2018 post season for the Eagles!

Purple88 Pick: This is going to be a tough spot for any team. The Eagles begin the playoff on the road against stout South Warren. There’s just no way around this one Eagles Fans, as I just see no scenario where you come out of this game with a win! But hey, not many thought you’d go to Evansville Mater Dei and win and that’s exactly what you did, so Best of Luck Eagles!

20. Murray (2A) – PR: NR; LW: 20 - (2018 Record 6-4) [District Record 2-1]: Week 11 Results: Loss 10-8vs 3A Scrappy Union County (7-3). This must have been an excellent game. Murray lost the total yards contest roughly 300 to 200 yards on the night. So this tells me the Murray defense played awfully well.

Playoff Snapshot: If you are lookin for a dark horse on the West side of 2A, you better consider the Murray Tigers! Yes Mayfield beat them again, but it was a competitive game in the first half! And they have played solid, tough football since that time and the Murray offense if formidable! Not a team to overlook; that is for sure!

Purple88 Pick: The Tigers host (Purple88 Little Guy Favorite) Todd County Central in Murray for a first round playoff matchup! I think Murray rolls in this game unfortunately as I like the Rebels, but gotta keep it real!!! The Tigers would then make the 3 hour bus ride up to Owensboro for another round with the Owensboro Catholic Aces! While you are capable in this game, I can’t pick you in this slot. BUT, if the weather were nasty, I may flip my pick, as sloppy conditions would clearly favor Murray! Good luck Tigers!

Others Receiving Votes: Warren East, Union County, McLean County, Allen County Scottsville, Russellville, Grayson County, Hancock County, and Fulton County!!!

WEEK 11 PLAYER OF THE WEEK*:

Joey Cambron – QB – Daviess County – 21 for 30 for 353 yards and 5 TDs vs 1 INT vs Apollo! Congratulations Joey!

Other outstanding performances in the West:

1) Devon Nesbitt – RB – Crittenden County – rushed for 142 yard and 40 yards from receptions earning 6 TDs IN THE FIRST HALF vs Hopkins County Central!!!

2) Hunter Boone – QB – Crittenden County – passed for 217 yards and 3 TDs!

3) Marquel Tinsley – WR – Daviess County – 9 receptions for 205 yards and 1 TD vs Apollo!

4) Ryan Mathis – QB – Graves County – 12 for 19 for 250 yards and 3 TDs vs Calloway County!

5) Gary Hardy – RB – Logan County – 29 carries for 177 yards and 1 TD vs Todd County Central!

* If there are stats I don’t know about, please add them below!

Congratulations to all the young men who have had a spot on this list throughout the season! Great Work!!!

Week 11 – Teams Trending Down

Christian County (5A) – Down – The Colonels offense is really struggling right now. While the County defense is a formidable unit, it seems inevitable that they get worn down heading into a very difficult game! Best of luck Colonels!

Apollo (5A) – Down – While I’m not a fan of hitting someone when they are down. Someone has to go in this slot! I ultimately chose the Eagles as they simply have hit the rough part of their schedule! But I wish them the best against South Warren!

Week 11 – Teams Trending Up

Glasgow (2A) – Up – Congratulations to the Scotties on a Huge win at Elizabethtown! Should be a big shot in the arm heading into the playoffs!

Paducah Tilghman (3A) – Up – Tremendous strides this season for the Blue Tornados! And as our good friend @TilghmanPride reported, there are several significant players who have a good chance to make it back this season! That would be HUGE for Tilghman in the playoffs! Look out!!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Congratulations to both South Warren and Mayfield for their undefeated regular seasons! Historic accomplishments! Good luck to both in the playoffs!!!

The Sullen 6: Last season there were 6 teams that were winless on the year. And before we check out for the year, I thought we’d check in on them to see how they have done this season, as follows:

- Breckinridge County – The Fighting Tigers are actually 4 and 6 on the year! Compare that to 0 and 10 and things are lookin up over in Harned!

- Butler County – While the Bears are still on the losing end of things, potential better fortunes are around the corner with Freshman Jagger Henderson checking in at QB. Jagger was 7 for 21 for 80 yards and a TD vs Todd County Central 2 weeks ago!

- Calloway County – The Lakers have won 3 games this year including 1 at home against Metcalfe County in Week 2! Something to build on!

- Caverna – While the Colonels didn’t pick up a win on the field, they were awarded a Week 2 forfeit win vs Green County for use of an ineligible player! Considering the situation, I think we better count it and count our blessings for it!

- Fulton City – The Bulldogs season is completed. They again finish this season at 0 and 10. They also finish the season with 12 players on the roster, including 1 senior. It is certainly an uphill climb for the Bulldogs, but they are an inspiring group! I wish them the best going forward!

- Warren Central – While the Dragons will end the year at 0 and 11, I would fire their scheduling director. There is no reason to schedule a majority of the teams on their current schedule that total 5 of their 10 regular season games against teams in classifications higher than the Dragons 4A classification. Come on man…

Good luck to these teams next season!

2018 Western Kentucky Regular Season - All West Team

QB – Jaden Stinson, Mayfield

QB – Drew Hartz, Owensboro Catholic

RB – Tre Bass, Franklin Simpson

RB – Jeriah Hightower – Madisonville – North Hopkins

RB – Thomas Maxey – Warren East

WR – Marquel Tinsley, Daviess County

WR – Ethan Dossett, Crittenden County

OL – Tanner Bowles, Glasgow

OL – Jack Randolf, Franklin Simpson

OL – Blake Moody, Madisonville – North Hopkins

DL – Jacob Lacey, South Warren

DL – Logan Weedman, Apollo

DL – Cade McKinnis, Logan County

LB – Pete Cross, South Warren

LB – Andrew Munster, McLean County

DB – Malachi Kirby, Paducah Tilghman

DB – Trel Riley, Caldwell County

S – Clayton Bush, South Warren

Athlete – Imonte Owsley, Owensboro

Athlete – Vito Tisdale, Bowling Green

Athlete – Kent Trey Matthews, Mayfield

Athlete – Ellis Dunn, Hopkinsville

K – Micah Haley, Mayfield

Honorary Member – RB/LB Caleb Kimble, Fulton County

Coach – Johnathon Smith, Paducah Tilghman

Farewell: End of the Road! It’s been a Long Road, but I hope you have found it as fun as I have! Even if you don’t agree with my rankings, I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about our teams out West!

We have A LOT to be thankful for in having good football teams in the West! Now get out there and support your team(s) in person! It’s a great time of year! Good luck to your teams this playoff season and hope to see ya next year!

Great job as always!!!! " BG has won 17 in a row against a very good program. That streak has to end sometime." You are so right. It has to end sometime; let it be 2 Friday's from now. Not to look over Greenwood, I hope that the Devils don't fall into to that trap, but it's hard not to imagine that 2nd round match up. I agree that the defense is ahead of the offense right now, but if the offense doesn't stop the trend of having a bunch of three and outs, they are going to wear that defense out. I am not the coach but OHS needs to sprinkle a bit of a running attack in with all the passing. I have harped on this all year and I'm not going to quit now. The teams that they've played after Bowling Green had no answer for the Owenboro passing attack but in my opinion if they intend to get past the Purples, South Warren and (hopefully) get to that championship game they'd better figure out what constitutes a running game. They also need to clean up the stupid penalties, untimely turn overs (When is a turnover ever a good thing?) and the dropped passes (all correctable). I'm not going to call you a homer but if you are a true fan, as I know you are, you back your team regardless of the odds. Lord knows, I was behind the Devils through the 17 beat downs that Bowling Green has dished out and you couldn't convince me that there wasn't a chance to pull any one of those games out. The Fat Lady had warmed up and all ready started singing, I was still there hoping against all odds (as I hope you will be this time). I believe this is one of the better teams that the Red Devils have had in a good while and if that running game (I know) materializes they will definitely be a tough out. Regardless, it shapes up to be a very competitive game, I just hope you aren't as happy heading back down the Natcher as you were earlier this year.

- Warren Central – While the Dragons will end the year at 0 and 11, I would fire their scheduling director. There is no reason to schedule a majority of the teams on their current schedule that total 5 of their 10 regular season games against teams in classifications higher than the Dragons 4A classification. Come on man…

I wholeheartedly agree that the powers that be at WC aren't doing those kids any favors with their scheduling. Seems like they could do something to help them get the program back on track. The AD, the Head Coach and the Principal should sit down and decide what they want from the program and see what they need to do to get there. They stay on this path, pretty soon they may not have a program and that would be a shame for the kids there wanting to play football.

Don't worry Purple88, the Rockets have been waiting on this bus ride to Campbellsville for about a year now and they don't intend on letting anyone overlook them!

Rocket,

I hope very much I'm wrong on the C'ville game! Rockets have a great team this year!

I'm pulling for you guys!

I saw where the BGP 1A preview picked Crittenden to win the Region so that's good!

I wholeheartedly agree that the powers that be at WC aren't doing those kids any favors with their scheduling. Seems like they could do something to help them get the program back on track. The AD, the Head Coach and the Principal should sit down and decide what they want from the program and see what they need to do to get there. They stay on this path, pretty soon they may not have a program and that would be a shame for the kids there wanting to play football.

They probably need to step back and look at what Barren County did in their scheduling and follow suit.

I think Warren Central taking the Barren County route would be good for them in the near term for sure. 2 straight losing seasons isn't good for anyone.

But this would take leadership at the top; something Warren Central hasn't been known for in the near term.

I would like @DragonFire opinion on this as well.

They probably need to step back and look at what Barren County did in their scheduling and follow suit.

I think Warren Central taking the Barren County route would be good for them in the near term for sure. 2 straight losing seasons isn't good for anyone.

But this would take leadership at the top; something Warren Central hasn't been known for in the near term.

I would like @DragonFire opinion on this as well.

I'll begin with the challenges that face Central on the scheduling front. First, believe me, they don't want to play this type of schedule, and have repeatedly attempted to change it. There are teams in this area that refuse to schedule them. I've been told they have reached out to Barren County repeatedly and they are flatly refused. That is despite having an AD that is from there. The AD at Edmonson County was an assistant at Warren Central for five years in the early-2000s. I'm told they can't get Edmonson County to even call them back. And so on. I don't know if it is still to this extent but when things were still rolling back in 2012, Central had a hole in the schedule for the last week of the season. Green County had an available game that week. The AD at the time contacted them and was told (and I quote) - "We would rather play nine than play Warren Central." That's how they ended up playing Highlands in 2013 & 2014. Now at the time, that was because they were so good - I assume. I think they may still be paying for the cache of the name and/or how good they were earlier in the decade. Or perhaps some others just simply don't like them. But I think we all rightly think that Warren Central should be able to shake the trees and get competitive games, but it isn't that easy it would seem, and if it were, I am certain they would have done it by now.

That being said.....

There are certain realities that I have mentioned before that I don't think some at Central have fully come to grips with. I think they need to recognize that they are in (for lack of a better word) a war for their program's right to exist, with South Warren in particular. They bleed kids to that school like it is nothing. There is no reason to play them - none. They would not play Warren Central when they didn't think they could be competitive, and as far as I'm concerned, the Dragons should respond in kind. Like Green County, I would rather play nine than play that game. I tolerated this year and last since that was in a bowl game for which they get money. I've used the analogy on here before that essentially that was an FCS opponent getting money to go take a beating. Next year they have South Warren on the regular schedule in a home and home. Uh uh. I'd never do that, personally. I don't feel the same about Bowling Green in terms of a total war, though they lose kids there as well. But they also get some back. It is a point of pride for Central to play Bowling Green. I think that's something they really can't afford, but if they want to go that route, I can make an exception for that one. They've played every year since 1974, and I can appreciate that. (As an aside, with the advent of South Warren, it is remarkable how my viewpoints on Bowling Green have evolved. The Purples are a rival. South Warren is an extinction level event. Night and day.)

As for going the Barren County route - there is no reason to do that as I see at this moment. Franklin-Simpson is the only team in the district that Warren Central is laughably behind. But then, so is that entire district at the moment. We're three years removed from the last competitive game in that series, and while there won't be another on the horizon, it's still a far cry from Barren County who hasn't so much as scored double digits on Bowling Green since 1998. The Trojans have a long history of being non-competitive with a team like Bowling Green and South Warren would be exactly the same. They kept Greenwood and Grayson County on the schedule, so they didn't drop all of their former district-mates. Warren Central is likely still going to play Warren East and Allen County-Scottsville, even if they're not in the district. The margins may not look pretty, but they've given AC/S a fight in each of the last three years, and if they could have figured out how to score one of the FOUR times they were inside the Warren East 10, that 28-0 loss this year would look pretty different as well. Russell County comes in next year, and that's a program that has had wild swings up and down in the last several years. They're not a team to drop out of the district to avoid. So should they drop out of district to avoid a single team? I would say that is not the move to make.

Next year, Warren Central drops the Hardin County schools and Meade County. All of those are good moves. They pick up an extra district game in Russell County. They keep Monroe County on the schedule, which is easily the game that has been their most winnable. They pick up Russellville, a team I believe they would've beaten this season and a team that depending on the up and down swing for the Panthers, they can compete with. The Greenwood game moves to the bowl game, and again, that's a team that they can compete with. They pick up Apollo, which..... is not the best. I can't speak to that process. And then of course Bowling Green & South Warren. Perhaps Central needs to be more aggressive in shaking the trees of some far flung options like Clinton County or Ballard Memorial as Barren County has done. I personally see no reason that the Butler County's, Edmonson County's, Barren County's, etc. would not be willing to take a shot. I've said for years that my pitch would be "Did you ever want to beat us? Now is the time to take a shot." I believe Edmonson County and Barren County in particular would have been competitive, down the middle probability games this season.

TL/DR - Warren Central is trying to schedule better. But you'd be surprised how little cooperation they get from programs they seek out.

TL/DR - Warren Central is trying to schedule better. But you'd be surprised how little cooperation they get from programs they seek out.

The entire above entry is what makes this site great!

We fans see things from a distance, but we have fans that know what's going on at their school. And when they chime in, it makes perfect sense.

Thanks @DragonFire

As you mentioned above, it is errie to me how my personal perception of Warren Central has changed over time especially with their recent troubles. I always disliked them. They were my rival. But now, not really. I find myself (as evidenced in some previous posts) rooting for them. I don't want any team to go 0 and 10. Best of luck going forward Dragons!

The entire above entry is what makes this site great!

We fans see things from a distance, but we have fans that know what's going on at their school. And when they chime in, it makes perfect sense.

Thanks @DragonFire

As you mentioned above, it is errie to me how my personal perception of Warren Central has changed over time especially with their recent troubles. I always disliked them. They were my rival. But now, not really. I find myself (as evidenced in some previous posts) rooting for them. I don't want any team to go 0 and 10. Best of luck going forward Dragons!

I remember the last game Owensboro played against Warren Central. The take away from that game was they HAVE some athletes they don't have many players. I was told that many of their kids had ended up going to South Warren. WOW! I just could not imagine seeing that happen to a school. Has to be tough. Warren Central back in the day was a team to be reckoned with and I hope that you figure out a way to get that back. I am sure Bowling Green is just like Owensboro in that when all the teams in the area are competitive it makes for a very exciting season. Hopefully the powers that be will get this worked out and Central will turn the corner and get back to where they are competitive again.

Can Todd County win their first playoff game in no telling how ago vs Murray?

It'd be nice, but I just don't see it. I'm surprised by the amount of buzz they've generated that they have a shot. I honestly see this as about a two TD game at least.

Todd Central's last playoff win was in 1996, when they beat Crittenden County in the second round to advance to the region finals. The team they beat in the first round? Murray, at Murray.

Can Todd County win their first playoff game in no telling how ago vs Murray?

It'd be nice, but I just don't see it. I'm surprised by theong amount of buzz they've generated that they have a shot. I honestly see this as about a two TD game at least.

Todd Central's last playoff win was in 1996, when they beat Crittenden County in the second round to advance to the region finals. The team they beat in the first round? Murray, at Murray.

I'd like to see the Rebels give them a game. My intuition says Murray is too strong at home. But if Todd could get a few early breaks and start believing during the game, the longer they are in it the tougher they will be.

That said, I still like Murray at home by 17. Prove me wrong Rebels!

Saw them play Logan last Thursday on a rainy evening. They played man to man and bought the house on ever snap. Logan only scored 28 and probably had a dozen tackles behind the line of scrimmage. They got some good looking kids. Don’t know if they can score on Murray though.