Atlantic Hurricane Season is ramping up

nWo

The Gordon is now just about done as a tropical system but we are just getting started. Hurricane Florence at the present time is heading towards the east coast of the United States. It is presently forecast to be a major hurricane by early next week.

204622_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

Behind Florence are two more systems that have a greater than 60% chance of forming into a tropical system just off the western coast of Africa. I will be monitoring this as we get closer. We are still about a week away from Florence getting close to the east coast of the United States so it is too early to tell what effect it will have on the United States.

two_atl_5d0.png

I will be starting a separate thread for Tropical Storm Florence later today. As of now, the modeling data is showing those with interests in the Carolinas should be paying attention to this system. It is forecast to become a major hurricane by the middle of next week.

Looks like Helene is heading straight for the coast of Ireland.

And now there is a 4th storm out there in the Atlantic. Joyce, thought it seems like it will be not threat to the US coast.

Obviously, I am watching Tropical Storm Issac, which is expected to be downgraded to a tropical depression, Monday AM. Nothing preventing that one from reforming and reeking havoc in the Gulf, though.

@nWo, why is Joyce a Subtropical Storm and Issac a Tropical Storm?

Their sustained wind speed and central pressure are identical.

The main difference is the winds extend out further from the center of a subtropical system that a tropic system. Also a subtropical system won't be classified as a full tropical system until the winds reach hurricane force.