8th Region

• 1 month later...

SK will struggle without the leadership of Ally Niece. I think we became so spoiled with her play over the years that we fail to realize just how special she was. She was the ideal teammate, and made that team fire on all cylinders. Ally made the game easier for her teammates. You could really see what a spark she was when she came back late in the season last year and helped that team to another sweet 16 appearance with only one healthy leg. Not to make this post about the past but I can’t wait to see Ally represent the Pioneer Nation at the D1 level this year at NKU. It will be awesome to see her jersey retired along with the other great Pioneers in SK history.

This SK team still has some solid pieces in Jones and Stamper along with a strong supporting cast. I believe Ally’s work ethic, leadership, and unselfish play has rubbed off on Jones and Stamper and that will be vital for those two to carry the torch and potentially win another regional title.

There’s just as good teams in the 8th as SK. Plenty of great players with college offers from many teams. There’s some hungry teams ready to try to capture the region title!

SK will be hungry as well. I’d say the region is certainly more wide open than it has been with Ally Niece departing after being the regions best player for the last several seasons. But the cupboard is far from bare in Independence. They still return arguably their second and third best players from last years championship squad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A lot of chatter about Neace leaving SK, and them missing her leadership. Well, of course, you're going to miss that as soon as she leaves. But, do you not think that another player (or, players) will take on this role. Good seniors leave all the time. Its time for a new girls to step up. I think SK will have plenty of them chomping at the bit to step into that role. Stowers will find one, if one doesn't emerge naturally.

Walton Verona will be tough as well.

They have some pieces but their style of play is too controlled and relies too much on isolating specific players for them to knock off SK or Anderson, both of which swarm on defense and try to bury you from behind the arc. They will win the All-A and have a nice season and check out in the second round of the region tourney.

My pick is Anderson. They have key people that are back while others graduated many of their key players. Will be fun watching.

Agree. This should be their year. SK lost a lot to graduation so it is time for AC to step up.

Interesting to see the early match up between AC and OC. OC has had many coaching changes over the past 4-5 years but they’ve got solid players. AC has steady coaching and solid players. It’s time someone else steps up in this region other than SK.