Louisville City's Connor closing in on MLS coaching deal

Getslow

Sources: Orlando City closing in on deal to make James O’Connor new head coach – The Athletic

Oof. It’s not the leaving that gets me — I can’t blame him for that — it’s the timing. Right in the middle of another really good season. And still alive in the Open Cup.

This hurts. No way Louisville City can find a good coach like that in July. Unlikely enough to find one that good in a full offseason of searching.

The front office appointed three players — forward Luke Spencer, midfielder Paolo DelPiccolo, and midfielder George David IV — to serve as interim coaches.

God only knows the internal politics at play but three player-coaches? Ugh.

John Harkes, Line 1

Kill me.

Although, one of Lou City’s minority owners got caught using the “AskAlexi” hashtag on Twitter and asking about who Lalas thought were some of the best young coaches in America. LouCity Twitter went ape in response.

There are some decent coaches with pro experience sitting at home right now that I think we might be able to call. My personal pick right now: Jimmy Nielsen. Danish international goalkeeper who had a long Premier League career before finishing up by leading Kansas City to an MLS Cup title. Took OKC Energy to two Western Conference finals as a coach there before stepping down at the end of last season.

I think he’d be my first call.