Highlands 4 South Oldham 2 (KHSAA State Tournament - 1st Round)

Highlands (26-15):

WP - Rom: CG; 7 IP; 4 H; 2 R; 1 ER; 3 BB; 10 K

Kavanagh: 2-3; 2 RBI; 1 SB

Hennigan: 1-2; 2 RBI

Fitters: 2-3; 1 SB

Hennigan: 2-3

South Oldham (21-13):

LP - LaBarbera

Benson: 1-3; 1 HR: 2 RBI

Sorry I dropped the ball there at the end of the game, but JPA picked me up and closed the door. Drew Rom 'overated' gives up 3 hits in the first inning and one more the rest of the way to get the win. Him going the distance allows the Birds to use everyone else tomorrow night with the hope of advancing to the next weekend. Congrats to Coach B, staff and most importantly the kids.

Sorry I dropped the ball there at the end of the game, but JPA picked me up and closed the door. Drew Rom 'overated' gives up 3 hits in the first inning and one more the rest of the way to get the win. Him going the distance allows the Birds to use everyone else tomorrow night with the hope of advancing to the next weekend. Congrats to Coach B, staff and most importantly the kids.

Thanks for the updates JOAT!

Tell us more about the South Oldham fans chanting overrated and did it have any affect on the game?

Thanks for the updates JOAT!

Tell us more about the South Oldham fans chanting overrated and did it have any affect on the game?

I actually was getting text messages every few minutes from someone who was there and they put that in one of the texts. Believe it occurred in the top of the 7th inning. Hard to believe a fan group would chant something like that when they got 4 hits over seven innings and 3 of them were in the first inning. That is pretty much all I know of the situation except for fact that Highlands fans came back with the "MLB" cheer.

The chant didn’t start until the 7th as the SO fans were trying to get in Rom’s head. Birds fans simply responded with “MLB”. IMHO (and many in the stands as well), umps’s zone got a little tight there on the last few batters. However, he gets to make the calls. Rom simply gave the glove wave to the dugout to say “I got this” and finished it out. Maturity and senior leadership right there to shake it off and finish the game.

Rom had 10Ks, 21 1st pitch strikes against the 29 batters he faced, and retired 15 in a row at one point. I believe he only gave up 1 hit after the 1st inning. Went the distance to allow Coach B. to have the rest of his staff available for tomorrow’s 6pm game. Clearly #notoverrated

Clutch RBI hits from Kavanagh and Hennigan. A couple of strong defensive plays from both Kavanagh and Bridewell.

Edited by theguru
Rule 1

SO parents and adults started the overrated chant and not the kids which was surprisingly to everyone in attendance. After the pop out 3rd out in top of 7 MLB Rom gave the SO fans a nice little wave and said thanks for coming out today.