KHSAA Transfer Question

Once the player enrolls at new school and has physical and papers on file he / she is good to play JV and practice with the team, just can't check into a varsity contest until cleared by the KHSAA. Rule was passed last fall (2016).

Even if they move to a new house within the new district?

If you move then you will be eligible

Not necessarily. If the hearing officer rules finds that the transfer was "athletically motivated" under bylaw 6, section 3, then the "change of address" exemption under section 2 can be nullified. See the Dakota Euton case, among others. Honestly, the KHSAA has TREMENDOUS discretion under its bylaws to declare kids eligible or not eligible. Frequently, in my opinion, it abuses the discretion, one way or another, and court intervention is required. A massive overhaul and re-thinking of the standards is warranted if you ask me.

Not necessarily. If the hearing officer rules finds that the transfer was "athletically motivated" under bylaw 6, section 3, then the "change of address" exemption under section 2 can be nullified. See the Dakota Euton case, among others. Honestly, the KHSAA has TREMENDOUS discretion under its bylaws to declare kids eligible or not eligible. Frequently, in my opinion, it abuses the discretion, one way or another, and court intervention is required. A massive overhaul and re-thinking of the standards is warranted if you ask me.

I agree. No consistency in how they apply the rule.

I totally agree the They need to throw the rule out. Let the kids go wherever they want. The kid should be allowed to go where it fits them best.

If it is a legitimate change of address the KHSAA will rule in favor of the athlete. The problems with all of these rules are you have people out there trying to circumvent the rules and that leads to issues.

If it is a legitimate change of address the KHSAA will rule in favor of the athlete. The problems with all of these rules are you have people out there trying to circumvent the rules and that leads to issues.

WHat was not "legitimate" about Dakota Euton's change of address?