Only at St E.....

NamecipS

This stuff only happens at St E hospital. We came in for a 10 minute put tubes in ear procedure and now they’re saying it’s going to take 4 hours.

This is ridiculous. Total money grab by the hospital on this one. Who do I complain to about this? Insurance company getting ripped off

This stuff only happens at St E hospital. We came in for a 10 minute put tubes in ear procedure and now they’re saying it’s going to take 4 hours.

This is ridiculous. Total money grab by the hospital on this one. Who do I complain to about this? Insurance company getting ripped off

Is this a "Put tubes in ears" procedure for a child? If it's a child, the child will likely be completely sedated for the procedure. That in itself will make this much longer than 10 minutes. Prep for sedation and observation time after they wake up. Tubes in the ears is a surgical procedure, not a 10 minute drive through. I had 3 kids get ear tubes and it was never a quick in and out.

Little man is getting his tubes a week from today. His appointment is at 3:30 and we've been told to arrive by 2:00, that the procedure itself takes 10-15 minutes and then anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half in recovery. So at a minimum, we're looking at 3 hours, possibly longer. 4 hours doesn't seem that abnormal. I think the bigger issue is the person who told you it would 15 minutes total.

Little man is getting his tubes a week from today. His appointment is at 3:30 and we've been told to arrive by 2:00, that the procedure itself takes 10-15 minutes and then anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half in recovery. So at a minimum, we're looking at 3 hours, possibly longer. 4 hours doesn't seem that abnormal. I think the bigger issue is the person who told you it would 15 minutes total.

Good luck to Little Man! Hopefully the procedure will help him.

This is what I was talking about. Procedure itself is pretty quick. But the prep and recovery is what adds the time. And likely, the anesthesiologist fees will be a large portion of the total bill.

My kids had tubes on multiple occasions, always at their ENT and never at the hospital.

My experiences with St. E's have always been great, nary a complaint from me. On the rare and unfortunate instances we had to go to Children's, once you get through the ER waiting room debacle, it is as good as it gets!

Agree! We are lucky to live near some awesome medical facilities!

Procedure was for my oldest daughter. The doctor recommended she try this to see if it fixes an issue she is having. (Don’t know what).

I’m going to guess that there was probably something lost between what he told her and what she told me.

Turns out it didn’t matter. They missed her vein three times trying to put in an IV and she said enough and decided she wasn’t having the procedure today.

Unfortunately St. E has become one of the worst medical facilities in terms of operations over the last decade. In their attempt to "Get Big" to bring in more $$$ they have failed to remember how to provide proper and adequate services both on the front end, and the back end (after procedure care, and operations.) Them having a monopoly on the NKY area medical care doesnt help the situation, St. E. has no reason to improve, (where you going to go.)

Procedure was for my oldest daughter. The doctor recommended she try this to see if it fixes an issue she is having. (Don’t know what).

I’m going to guess that there was probably something lost between what he told her and what she told me.

Turns out it didn’t matter. They missed her vein three times trying to put in an IV and she said enough and decided she wasn’t having the procedure today.

See post 11, operation inefficient.

Unfortunately St. E has become one of the worst medical facilities in terms of operations over the last decade.

Do you have a link to an article / study / report stating this, or is this actually an opinion?

No competition? Mercy Anderson, Christ, and Good Samaritan do a TON of business from NKY, not to mention all NKY trauma gets sent to University. Heck, Christ now has a facility in NKY in Park Hills / Fort Wright.

Do you have a link to an article / study / report stating this, or is this actually an opinion?

No competition? Mercy Anderson, Christ, and Good Samaritan do a TON of business from NKY, not to mention all NKY trauma gets sent to University. Heck, Christ now has a facility in NKY in Park Hills / Fort Wright.

I, as you, have had no problems with St E., but they do seem to have the majority of business for NKY residents because most doctors/physicians are linked to them. Christ is trying to make inroads, but I think they are being fought every step of the way from ST E.

My problem besides the possible monopolizing services in NKY, is that they won't do some procedures due to the religious beliefs they support.

However, most can go to Ohio, if their insurance allows. I am not sure medicare/medicaid or some network plans allow it

Again, I use ST E for everything and have had no issues.