Cryptic Messages in Songs or on Album Covers

We have long heard about some songs containing hidden messages or having some kind of cryptic meaning. Play the record backwards, perhaps, and hear a Satanic message. I've never heard such a message, then again, I don't play music backwards.

In this thread , I'd like to hear about songs with possible hidden meanings or album covers with some sort of cryptic message or image. I'll focus mostly on album covers that may be revealing more than what first meets the eye.

I'll start with an album that I bought back in 1982. It was Fleetwood Mac's "Mirage." Playing off the title of the album, the Mac is trying to create an optical illusion on the cover. Many of you are familiar with the old-school " old hag/ beautiful woman" optical illusion, I'm sure. Many people think the illusion comes from the way Stevie is posed, with her head way back but it's actually just in the way Nick's and Buckingham's hands are clasped. You may have to look at this one awhile until you see it.

Her knuckles appear to form an old woman's squinting eye, her thumb is the mouth and chin, and the nose is outlined by Buckingham's thumb and part of his palm. Stare at it long enough and I think you will see it.

Mirage.jpg

A close-up of the hands:

MirageClose.jpg

McCartney's second solo album, "Ram," had a song that I loved as a kid ("Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey"). I still love it. Anyway, on the cover of this album, if you look really, really close, you'll see a little cryptic love message from Paul to his wife and band mate in "Wings," Linda. Just to the right and below of the ram's horn in the zigzag artwork, you should be able to make out "L.I.L.Y." This stands for "Linda, I love You." See if you can spot it?

ram-mccartney-1506904371.jpg

This one seems eerie and oddly foreboding in retrospect. I really "dug" (to borrow a term from my BFF , BBF) a little group called Supertramp back in the seventies and eighties. In 1980, the year I graduated high school , they had a very successful album entitled "Breakfast in America." You may remember "Take the Long Way Home" and "The Logical Song." Anyway, the album cover features a waitress holding up a glass of orange juice in the same pose as Lady Liberty. The NYC skyline of buildings consists of cups, saucers, salt and pepper shakers, etc...

Look closely at the buildings(particularly the TT), and the letters above them. What would it look like if it was reflected in a mirror?

Leaves me to wonder, was Nostradamus a spiritual advisor to Supertramp???

Too damned weird...

Supertramp.png

The mirror image:

SupertrampBIA.jpg

Edited by Science Friction

When is a spaceship more than a spaceship...??? I'd say, when it belongs to Boston.

Boston has long been one of my favorite bands. Their self-titled debut album featured a spaceship(as do other Boston albums). However, this one is more than a spaceship. Look closely. This spaceship is a guitar turned upside down. Below the band's logo is the bridge and sound hole of an acoustic guitar, its body curving and stretching back to the neck and tuning pegs. Apparently, the boys from Boston had more than a feeling that this visual trick would pay dividends because they replicated it on their second album Don't Look Back.

bostonband.jpg

Oh, that Lennon guy. The former Beatle produced Harry Nilsson's 1974 album entitled "PussyCats." Lennon and Nilsson was known for engaging in all kinds of drunken debauchery around LA back then. See if you can spot their little hidden, but not-so-subtle message on the album cover. Along with the Lennon and Nilsson dolls , you see two toy blocks "D" and "S" with a rug between them.

53-44082-nilsson-1506904381.jpg

"D rug S under the table " Cute , John.

This one seems eerie and oddly foreboding in retrospect. I really "dug" (to borrow a term from my BFF , BBF) a little group called Supertramp back in the seventies and eighties. In 1980, the year I graduated high school , they had a very successful album entitled "Breakfast in America." You may remember "Take the Long Way Home" and "The Logical Song." Anyway, the album cover features a waitress holding up a glass of orange juice in the same pose as Lady Liberty. The NYC skyline of buildings consists of cups, saucers, salt and pepper shakers, etc...

Look closely at the buildings(particularly the TT), and the letters above them. What would it look like if it was reflected in a mirror?

Too damned weird...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64898[/ATTACH]

The mirror image:

[ATTACH]64899[/ATTACH]

One of the greatest albums ever recorded...

I figured I was the only one on here that liked Supertramp. :)

When that album came out I hated it. I was so young and dumb.lol. I didn't like Roger Hodgson's vocals. I have to admit I loved this album but it was a guilty pleasure. As I got older and I assassinated my guilty pleasures.This is not only one my favorite albums but one of my favorite bands...

We have long heard about some songs containing hidden messages or having some kind of cryptic meaning. Play the record backwards, perhaps, and hear a Satanic message. I've never heard such a message, then again, I don't play music backwards.

In this thread , I'd like to hear about songs with possible hidden meanings or album covers with some sort of cryptic message or image. I'll focus mostly on album covers that may be revealing more than what first meets the eye.

I'll start with an album that I bought back in 1982. It was Fleetwood Mac's "Mirage." Playing off the title of the album, the Mac is trying to create an optical illusion on the cover. Many of you are familiar with the old-school " old hag/ beautiful woman" optical illusion, I'm sure. Many people think the illusion comes from the way Stevie is posed, with her head way back but it's actually just in the way Nick's and Buckingham's hands are clasped. You may have to look at this one awhile until you see it.

Her knuckles appear to form an old woman's squinting eye, her thumb is the mouth and chin, and the nose is outlined by Buckingham's thumb and part of his palm. Stare at it long enough and I think you will see it.

[ATTACH]64895[/ATTACH]

A close-up of the hands:

[ATTACH]64896[/ATTACH]

Trippy...took me a minute, but now I see it.

When is a spaceship more than a spaceship...??? I'd say, when it belongs to Boston.

Boston has long been one of my favorite bands. Their self-titled debut album featured a spaceship(as do other Boston albums). However, this one is more than a spaceship. Look closely. This spaceship is a guitar turned upside down. Below the band's logo is the bridge and sound hole of an acoustic guitar, its body curving and stretching back to the neck and tuning pegs. Apparently, the boys from Boston had more than a feeling that this visual trick would pay dividends because they replicated it on their second album Don't Look Back.

[ATTACH]64900[/ATTACH]

This album was given to me on my 13th birthday by my sister's boyfriend. Initially I didn't recognize the guitar, but loved the cover so much I used colored markers to recreate it on the front of my school folder, and by doing so it's when I had that Ah Ha moment of realizing that it was also a guitar.

Too damned weird...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64898[/ATTACH]

The mirror image:

[ATTACH]64899[/ATTACH]

I'm still twisted on this one. Obviously it's the twin towers, and I see the letters backward, and I'm assuming some 911 reference but....Oh yeah...see it now.. too weird. :lol2: