Oldham County / Nelson County predictions

It's been a tough year in Bardstown, where the Nelson County Cardinals are trying to re-build.

In Buckner, Oldham County is just 3-4 on the year, but of their four losses three have been by one score (6, 7, and 2 points), and the fourth - vs. #5 South Oldham - was just a ten point loss. The Colonels appear to be headed for the playoffs, but have been hit by the injury bug of late.

Oldham lost backup QB Parker Caudill Friday in a 2 point loss to Bullitt Central, apparently due to a possible concussion. No word yet on his status, but normal starter Erix Edwards - who has been out with an injury - has been cleared to play. #3 QB Tyler Barnes - who threw two for two TDs in a dramatic rally that just fell short against Bullitt Central - will also be active.

Nelson County, 0-7 on the season, has been outscored 116-7 over the past two weeks in losses to South Oldham and North Bullitt. The Cardinals came into the year expecting to be re-building, but any chances of the Cardinals making the playoffs require them to win their last two district games vs. Oldham and Bullitt Central - a tall order.

Who wins? A banged-up Oldham squad or the homestanding Cardinals, who must have the win to have a chance at the playoffs?

CM

What's the latest in Bardstown? Rebuilding is never any fun, and we've all experienced it. The losing streak is now 18, dating back to the final game of 2015.

The Nelson County program is a proud program with a rich history....how are they coming along towards getting back to their glory days? What needs to happen? Is it just a matter of youth growing up? I count 22 freshmen and sophomores among the 38 roster players showing on the Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA – Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow site...

CM

As an alum, it pains me to see what is going on there. Their numbers are terrible, and I'm not sure why. Just for clarification, Nelson County is not a very good program historically. They only had a handful of winning seasons before Mark Brown came there. In less than 10 years, he turned them into a state champion at the highest level, knocking off Trinity on the way to the championship in 1996. When he left, the program faded back into its historical place, although this season has been particularly bad. Brown has the magic touch for sure. He had turned Marion County into a power before coming to Nelson County, then did the same thing at John Hardin and is now doing it again at E-town.

As an alum, it pains me to see what is going on there. Their numbers are terrible, and I'm not sure why. Just for clarification, Nelson County is not a very good program historically. They only had a handful of winning seasons before Mark Brown came there. In less than 10 years, he turned them into a state champion at the highest level, knocking off Trinity on the way to the championship in 1996. When he left, the program faded back into its historical place, although this season has been particularly bad. Brown has the magic touch for sure. He had turned Marion County into a power before coming to Nelson County, then did the same thing at John Hardin and is now doing it again at E-town.

I did probably overstate the case with my comment about Nelson "historically", but I was referring to the powerhouse teams Mark Brown had there. They were excellent year-in and year-out at that time, and winning a state title ain't too shabby.