Former Warren Central player Jared Savage Transferring from Austin Peay

Guest fogdog.com

But will he get to play? Some good players coming to the Hill in the next few years?

Guest fogdog.com

I saw him play at Peay and he was not a game changer. He should be a 7-10 player at WKU. Hope this will make him happy?

Savage was the fourth leading scorer on Austin Peay this last year as a sophomore, and would have been their second leading returning scorer behind Josh Robinson, a junior. Shot almost 36% from three (57/159). Only two WKU players last year made more threes on the season than him, and both were seniors. He's a shooter - shooters usually find their way to the floor. Is he a prolific scorer (which I guess is what I'm inferring from game changer)? Not necessarily, as he's about a 10 PPG player right now. But it's worth noting that he'll sit out a year, so he'll have some more time to grow. And he'll get to play in front of a very partisan crowd at home.

If he's a #7 rotation guy, he's a #7 guy (there's no way the kid is going to be #10 at WKU, unless they totally abandon guard play). I personally would guess he'll be one of the first guys off the bench as I expect Brangers to start, and perhaps will inherit the starting role from Brangers when he graduates and Savage is a senior (in Savage's second year at WKU).

Guest fogdog.com

Again I watched him at Peay and he did not burn it up. He had trouble on the dribble and did not defend very well. He was a good OVC player but will be going to a better league and team. Old Rick has it going on at the hill right now so it you go there you better be ready to play at a very high level. I don't see him being an impact player but hope I am wrong.

Again I watched him at Peay and he did not burn it up. He had trouble on the dribble and did not defend very well. He was a good OVC player but will be going to a better league and team. Old Rick has it going on at the hill right now so it you go there you better be ready to play at a very high level. I don't see him being an impact player but hope I am wrong.

From what I am reading I don't think anyone is saying he will be an impact player. I get the feeling that most think he will be a serviceable player. Nothing wrong with that at all.

He dropped 24 on that team last year. :idunno:

Point of fact, Rick hasn't got anything going yet beyond what we think this class will do. I'm as excited as the next guy about the talent he's bringing in this next year, but frankly some WKU fans need to slow down some with these upward projections. You've no idea what the program will be like if/when Stansbury leaves. If he decided to exit stage left after the next season, we don't really know what the team will even look like by the time Savage is eligible to see the floor. And even if he doesn't, we also have no idea who will be there the next year. Heck, we don't even know truly how good WKU will be this year.

What do you consider an impact player? Do you really believe this kid is going to sit the bench and not see the floor? Are they going to be THAT deep at SG? I really believe this comes down to you believing that WKU already was that much better than Austin Peay before this recruiting class (they haven't been) and that Stansbury will bring in non-stop guys that are better at his exact position (completely impossible to predict with the variables). Savage has started for two years and steadily improved. He'll be a fourth-year junior by the time he sees the floor, and is a career 37.6% shooter from three. I could be dead wrong, but my bet is there is no way Stansbury brings in enough talent at his position to ensure that he is completely buried.

He dropped 24 on that team last year. :idunno:

Point of fact, Rick hasn't got anything going yet beyond what we think this class will do. I'm as excited as the next guy about the talent he's bringing in this next year, but frankly some WKU fans need to slow down some with these upward projections. You've no idea what the program will be like if/when Stansbury leaves. If he decided to exit stage left after the next season, we don't really know what the team will even look like by the time Savage is eligible to see the floor. And even if he doesn't, we also have no idea who will be there the next year. Heck, we don't even know truly how good WKU will be this year.

What do you consider an impact player? Do you really believe this kid is going to sit the bench and not see the floor? Are they going to be THAT deep at SG? I really believe this comes down to you believing that WKU already was that much better than Austin Peay before this recruiting class (they haven't been) and that Stansbury will bring in non-stop guys that are better at his exact position (completely impossible to predict with the variables). Savage has started for two years and steadily improved. He'll be a fourth-year junior by the time he sees the floor, and is a career 37.6% shooter from three. I could be dead wrong, but my bet is there is no way Stansbury brings in enough talent at his position to ensure that he is completely buried.

Did you seriously say APSU has been as good as Western lately? WKU had their second worst year ever last year, but it would still rank up there as one of APSU's better years.

WKU is already very deep in the backcourt. Three 4*'s in Lamonte Bearden, Josh Anderson, and Jordan Brangers. Not to mention Hollingsworth. I could see Savage getting lots of minutes his senior year off the bench. He is clearly a good shooter and plays very good defense, which Stansbury has always prioritized.

Enough with this "but what if Stansbury leaves?" We will continue to recruit at an extremely high level as long as Stansbury is here. When he leaves, that will obviously not be the case anymore. However, WKU has been one of the most consistently strong programs in NCAA history. We will always be just fine. I can see why Savage would want to come here instead of Lipscomb, or stay at APSU. He is going to get exponentially more exposure.

Did you seriously say APSU has been as good as Western lately? WKU had their second worst year ever last year, but it would still rank up there as one of APSU's better years.

WKU is already very deep in the backcourt. Three 4*'s in Lamonte Bearden, Josh Anderson, and Jordan Brangers. Not to mention Hollingsworth. I could see Savage getting lots of minutes his senior year off the bench. He is clearly a good shooter and plays very good defense, which Stansbury has always prioritized.

Enough with this "but what if Stansbury leaves?" We will continue to recruit at an extremely high level as long as Stansbury is here. When he leaves, that will obviously not be the case anymore. However, WKU has been one of the most consistently strong programs in NCAA history. We will always be just fine. I can see why Savage would want to come here instead of Lipscomb, or stay at APSU. He is going to get exponentially more exposure.

Second worst year ever? How far does your memory go? For certain, you don't remember Kilcullen. The notion that WKU's losing record season would rate as one of the best in APSU history is also hilarious. WKU and Austin Peay have played twice in the last three seasons, both times at Diddle. WKU won by 7 and 5. That is what I was alluding to when I said that WKU has not been that much better recently. I didn't say equal. The talent they have had in the last couple of years is not a standard that I would place on a level that Savage could not compete. That was the point of the statement.

Also, the "what if Stansbury leaves" comes entirely from the implication that Savage will be buried because of the talent Stansbury will bring in. If it's fair game to project that Stansbury will be bringing in better players, it is fair game to project that if he's not there, said players won't be either.

I maintain that Savage will be closer to first off the bench than fifth off the bench, and I believe he'll be in competition for a starting role as a senior. He's a shooter, and shooters find the floor.