Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the Most Powerful Muscle Car Ever

theguru

Making its debut at the 2017 New York Auto Show after months of teasing, the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon brings a maximum of 840 horsepower and 770 pound-feet of torque from a 6.2-liter HEMI Demon V8 supercharged engine.

It is also the world’s fastest quarter-mile production car with a time of 9.65 seconds at 140 mph, certified by National Hot Rod Association (NHRA). Speaking of NHRA, the American automaker says the Challenger SRT Demon is too fast for the drag strip, so it has been officially banned by NHRA.

As you can imagine, the Demon also holds the world’s fastest zero-to-60 time in a production car at 2.3 seconds. Oh yeah, there’s also the largest functional hood scoop of any production car, measuring 45.2 square inches.

Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the Most Powerful Muscle Car Ever >> AutoGuide.com News

Has a price been released yet?

I saw that it has no passenger seats, they are an option $1 :lol2:

I see those speeds are only attainable with 100+ Octane Racing Fuel.

Another article I read said you can get close to that performance on 91 Octane.

NHRA Super Stock class speeds generally run in the high 8 and low 9 second range and Top Fuel dragsters can run the quarter in under 4 seconds. I saw nothing in that article about a roll cage or any other safety features on the vehicle. That's why the NHRA banned it. It's too fast without the proper safey equipment.

I know Gainesville Raceway (home of the Gator Nationals) will not allow a you second pass, if you run under a certain time on the first pass without proper safety equipment. Years ago, my son took his rebuilt 75 Maverick there and was asked to leave after he ran an 11.1, because he did not have a certified roll cage and safety harness in the vehicle. He framed the run slip and it hangs on the wall in his man cave.

I watched the video in the link. Hyperbole much? Guy was sort of annoying.

Ok, it's cool...so far it's the fastest and those numbers are pretty eye opening. But lets be honest, it's nothing that one of the other Big 3 couldn't have done, IF they wanted to put the effort into doing it. It's a purpose built, factory sponsored hot rod that comes off the assembly line rather than somebody's garage.

Impressive?:idunno: I tell you what would be impressive...build a car with all those same abilities...and have it get 45 mph on the highway. Now THAT would be impressive.

I watched the video in the link. Hyperbole much? Guy was sort of annoying.

Ok, it's cool...so far it's the fastest and those numbers are pretty eye opening. But lets be honest, it's nothing that one of the other Big 3 couldn't have done, IF they wanted to put the effort into doing it. It's a purpose built, factory sponsored hot rod that comes off the assembly line rather than somebody's garage.

Impressive?:idunno: I tell you what would be impressive...build a car with all those same abilities...and have it get 45 mph on the highway. Now THAT would be impressive.

I think that is called a Tesla.

The Tesla Model S P100D, with 760 horsepower and all-wheel-drive, jumped from a dead stop to 60 miles an hour in 2.28 seconds in a test by Motor Trend. It's the first car to ever do that in under 2.3 seconds in the magazine's testing. With this sort of power, merging into the traffic on the highway is less of an issue than trying not to rear-end anyone while you're doing it.

That's quicker than high-priced hybrid supercars like the $1.5 million Ferrari LaFerrari, the $1.1 McLaren P1 or the $845,000 Porsche 918 Spyder.

For comparison, the Tesla Model S P100D costs about about $135,000. Also, those cars have just two seats each and barely any luggage space. The Tesla Model S, on other hand, has two spacious trunks and can seat up to seven, including two small children facing rearward.

Tesla Model S is now the world's quickest car. Yes, Tesla - Feb. 7, 2