Gun Safes

Colonels_Wear_Blue

My older brother just bought his boys their first gun - 20ga Remington 870. He has 4 boys, ages 11, 9, 6, and 4. He's introduced the oldest two into hunting and shooting, and the oldest has taken a particularly keen interest.

Anyway, my sister-in-law is requiring a gun safe, so he's on the lookout to buy one, and he called me asking for opinions. I'm a man who prides himself on his opinions, but I've frankly got nothing. About the only thing that I could think of was that if I was making the call, I would prefer to opt for a dial-type combination rather than have one of those digital keypad combinations.

Does anyone have any insight on gun safes, buying them, or available options? New and used are both fine options, so long as the lock and hinges are in good working order. Combination locking versus key locking? Any other thoughts?

If he only has one gun and it is an inexpensive 870 I'd just go with a cheap stack on brand key safe. Dicks, Dunhans, bass pro, field and steam all have them.

Well my brother has 5 long guns of his own, plus the 870. One of the guns he has is our great-grandfather's Ithaca, 1920ish. He's also anticipating getting a couple of cool match-grade rifles made in the 1950s...his father-in-law was a competition target shooter and my brother's sons and the only boys in that side of the family.

Well my brother has 5 long guns of his own, plus the 870. One of the guns he has is our great-grandfather's Ithaca, 1920ish. He's also anticipating getting a couple of cool match-grade rifles made in the 1950s...his father-in-law was a competition target shooter and my brother's sons and the only boys in that side of the family.

OK, that's a new game plan.

Have him get one that is fire rated. He can store personal papers in there as well. $2k to $4K versus a couple of hundred bucks!!

I own 2 Liberty safes. Both are 36 gun safes. I paid 2600 for one 3400 for the other. The more expensive one is in the house and has a much higher fire rating. We have jewelry, deeds, titles, and a few keepsakes we don't want to ever lose in them. Plus I have a few guns in there too.:lol2:

I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you to go to Louisville shooters supply and check out those safes. They have a great selection. Cabelas has a nice selection, and their hi end ones are also built by liberty. And the other place I'd look is Cooks off of Poplar Level. I was there today to have a couple keys made that weren't run of the mill. They have several in there, but I will say that I never checked the price on those.

OK, that's a new game plan.

Have him get one that is fire rated. He can store personal papers in there as well. $2k to $4K versus a couple of hundred bucks!!

We have one at work just for that purpose, to store personal papers and important documents.

So on the digital combination, what is the power source for the digital pad?

Like spindoc said, mine uses a 9v Alkaline battery. The battery is enclosed on the digital lock outside of the safe. If it dies, put in a new one and enter your personal code that you created yourself. I've had the same battery in for several years, and open my safe quite often. I believe there is some kind of audible warning when the battery is low but I've not heard it yet.