Casey County DJ White signs with EKU

SpickedBird

Congratutions to great young man and athlete, he left Madisonville to play basketball for Casey County! Ends up with a football scholarship, would have liked to see him in Maroon in 2015!

He is a great athlete, but he is also an example of the 6'5 HS schools basketball center who decides to play football and gets a full ride. Had he played football his whole career he might have been an SEC player.

Young men, play them all, don't put all your eggs in one basket!

He is a great athlete, but he is also an example of the 6'5 HS schools basketball center who decides to play football and gets a full ride. Had he played football his whole career he might have been an SEC player.

I agree completely! Multiple sport athletes are what colleges look for as they are more well rounded. DJ played football Freshman year at Madisonville then stayed with Basketball. A great accomplishment earning a scholarship to EKU but with his size and athletic ability could have played at a lot of FBS schools.

Congratutions to great young man and athlete, he left Madisonville to play basketball for Casey County! Ends up with a football scholarship, would have liked to see him in Maroon in 2015!

A. You mean he moved to Casey county to get a great education, because moving for basketball is against the rules.

B. Why Casey county?

Not getting into why he moved, situation was something that should have been looked at by the KHSAA, his mother and sister still live in Madisonville and his sister is an integral member of the Lady Maroon Bball Program and should have a chance to play in college also.

Edited by Paradise City
Misplaced word

It's also a great example of someone who is big for their age or big for kids in the area, but not actually BIG big. I've seen so many kids who are the "big man" on the basketball team, with the skill set of a big man. They're bigger than a lot of people they play against. But, the catch is, they aren't actually big. They're a SG size for colleges.

I went to high school with a guy who always talked about how he was going to play major college basketball and be a power forward. He was 6'4" and tried to just bang it in the paint. I think he's working construction now, after he didn't get any offers to play college anywhere.

Not trying to criticize anyone or anything like that, but, so often kids who are big into basketball aren't aware that the average or below average size for that sport, is way different than in football. Someone who is a tiny forward or center is most likely a physical match for guys playing football in the SEC.

But still, great opportunity for the kid to continue his education and play football at a school with such a great history and culture.

Not trying to criticize anyone or anything like that, but, so often kids who are big into basketball aren't aware that the average or below average size for that sport, is way different than in football. Someone who is a tiny forward or center is most likely a physical match for guys playing football in the SEC.

Absolutely. I watch a few Berea College games and most would agree that is fairly low-level college basketball in Kentucky and there have been very few kids in our school that could have ever played at that level. Kids need to be taken to see UK, UofL, EKU, Georgetown, etc. play live and up close. That helps clarify the importance of size and skill that most high school kids just don't have.

Not getting into why he moved, situation was something that should have been looked at by the KHSAA, his mother and sister still live in Madisonville and his sister is an integral member of the Lady Maroon Bball Program and should have a chance to play in college also.

In fairness it was looked into by the KHSAA pretty thoroughly and it took some time for him to gain eligibility. He actually missed a season of football at Casey County due to fighting for his eligibility. He wanted play football immediately when he arrived at Casey County.

This is a thread to congratulate DJ for his college commitment which is a great accomplishment and I know he will do great in the future, I will say as my last comment that someone should not have to fight for their eligibility unless some behind the scene circumstances occurred. He was a great asset to MNHHS and one that would've been successful at either program.

• 6 months later...