Newport Central Catholic 38 Notre Dame 24

First off, let me just say, this was one of the easiest games to give updates for. @frankdracman23

The past 3 or 4 meetings between these two teams have been far from high scoring affairs, but Lord have mercy.

The NewCath 2-3 defense eliminated much of what Notre Dame wanted to accomplish, as they passed and passed......and passed and passed the ball around to find someone to take a shot.

The Panda's held a 19-17 advantage at the break. Notre Dame dribbled off the final 69 seconds of the half, while NewCath sat back and watched till the final 10 seconds, and a 3 at the horn was no good.

The 2nd half opens with Notre Dame passing and passing on the perimeter for 1:35, before turning the ball over. A total of 3 shot attemps TOTAL were hoisted by the 3:13 mark of the period, and NewCath's, Kara Zimmerman's, 15 footer at the 2:15 mark were the 1st points of the quarter. The Pandas couldn't find "paydirt" in the quarter and go scoreless. :eek:

Notre Dame finally dents the scoreboard (12 minute drought) in the 2nd half on a Emily Zimmerman stickback with 4:49 remaining in the final stanza. Less than 30 seconds later, Allison Gribben gets a reb. and stickback for the Panda's, but that would be their last field goal of the game.

NewCath had a quite a few unforced turnovers, but great defense, and some really good passing by the Breds produce the win.

NewCath.....08-09-06-15---38

Notre Dame 09-10-00-05---24

NewCath

Davenport 15

Rice 6

Breen 5

Schalk 4

Zimmerman 4

Martin 4

Notre Dame

Baugh 7

Hagen 5

Zimmerman 4

T. Rennekamp 4

Miles 2

Gribben 2

Very odd 2nd half to say the least. Martin struggled bad tonight but NDA was determined to keep trying to get her looks and why do you sit Rennkamp the whole game after getting 4pts and 3 boards in 3 minutes of half 1. Why does Hagen sit for almost 3 minutes early in the 3rd qtr and another 110 in the 4th after a great assist to Zimmerman. She has 5 assist and 4 the hard way in the first half attacking the zone. Why does Baugh have 7 pts in the first half and take 1 shot in the second half. Why are your 3 leading rebounders sitting in the 4th qtr and your getting killed on the boards. Taking nothing away from a well coached NCC team but I didn't see anything tonight from these teams that make them contenders in the 9th

Very odd 2nd half to say the least. Martin struggled bad tonight but NDA was determined to keep trying to get her looks and why do you sit Rennkamp the whole game after getting 4pts and 3 boards in 3 minutes of half 1. Why does Hagen sit for almost 3 minutes early in the 3rd qtr and another 110 in the 4th after a great assist to Zimmerman. She has 5 assist and 4 the hard way in the first half attacking the zone. Why does Baugh have 7 pts in the first half and take 1 shot in the second half. Why are your 3 leading rebounders sitting in the 4th qtr and your getting killed on the boards. Taking nothing away from a well coached NCC team but I didn't see anything tonight from these teams that make them contenders in the 9th

They weren't "catching the world on fire", in the 1st either.....both teams.

I chalk it up to the typical NewCath/Notre Dame game, like the past 3-4 years.

They weren't "catching the world on fire", in the 1st either.....both teams.

I chalk it up to the typical NewCath/Notre Dame game, like the past 3-4 years.

Agree but 19 is better than 5 pts. I think NDA hopes the long layoff is the reason for this performance, almost 11-12 days between games ? It looked obvious the more Martin struggled handling the ball and shooting to more Foust was pressing to get her going instead of getting others involved in the second half. Yes he did bench her for not passing the ball after the 2-3 mins of passing around and nothing being there. She actually did the right thing so I'm surprised when I was told that. Can't have your pg sitting 4-5 mins in first 10 of the second half. Especially after she had a very nice first half. He also benched miles for taking a shot and having it blocked. Not a great message to send when others are having really off nights. Hard to play with confidence when your thinking should I shoot this or not. Thought the NDA bigs needed more time in there as well.

Davenport a nice player fluid and keeps them glued. Nothing fancy just plays. Take 5 or her all day long

At the end of the night, this game means very little except exposes weakness. Time to work on them if you want to get better

Was surprised at ND's offensive plan or lack there of, was the 15 pass minimum before a shot on purpose, or just rust for the long lay off. It is difficult in high school basketball to pass the ball around for an extended amount of time without turning it over, and you lose big mo. Once Ncc got the lead, ND looked like they rushed things offensively and never got into a flow.

Bottom line, Ncc continues to improve and gets ready for the All A tourney starting Wednesday. As for the Panda's, chalk it up as a bad night, burn the film and move on.

Was surprised at ND's offensive plan or lack there of, was the 15 pass minimum before a shot on purpose, or just rust for the long lay off. It is difficult in high school basketball to pass the ball around for an extended amount of time without turning it over, and you lose big mo. Once Ncc got the lead, ND looked like they rushed things offensively and never got into a flow.

Bottom line, Ncc continues to improve and gets ready for the All A tourney starting Wednesday. As for the Panda's, chalk it up as a bad night, burn the film and move on.

Nothing to do with the lay off. Parents and players know why he came out like that in the 2nd half and why players were benched (cost them the mo) and any chance at winning.

I agree we know why, but to be real. When you have a very very nice player and she has 0 at half with open looks and is just having one of those nights, I think the mentality to get your leading scorer and player who gets such a high % of the touches and even higher % of the sets going, isn't necessarily the wrong thing. Especially when she plays off energy for defense. Going to have nights like that. I do agree when it happens and you could see her frustration and her coaches frustration for her (not at her) even more so, get her or any player some easy looks, transition basket, maybe a 7-10 ft look from the middle of the zone to get the confidence going. I would have to think he was thinking, if we can get her to hit 2 of 3, she may hit her next 5 threes and break the game open. It didn't happen and NCC made it hard on her. Not because she is mine but I also know its not the smartest thing to bench a playmaker and capable three shooter for doing what got you the lead in the first place at half. Hard to have the "mo" and confidence to take over when your running mate is having a tough night, when your worried about being on the bench for trying to take the pressure and focus off of her. Mine was more upset she couldn't pick her up last night. I have some green to wager she wont go 0 - whatever for quite a while if ever again. Great thing about hoops. Not a long wait till the next game. 46 hrs.