Info on the Frankfort and Shelbyville area

Godot

I have a couple of friends that live in Cleveland Ohio. They have two small children that are not school age yet. They have made their mind up at they are moving in a year or so to get the kids away from Cleveland. They are looking at the Frankfort / Shelbyville area and ask me what I thought about the area. I told them I didn't know much about the are other then I thought they were good areas for raising children.

I'm from the Bowling Green area, so what can you guys tell me about the area? They don't mind driving an hour to get to work if they have to. What's the housing like. Don't know if they plan or buying or renting. Any info you can provide will help them.

Thank you.

I lived in Frankfort for a few years. Very nice area with plenty for kids to do. Frankfort is unique because it is a small town capital. During the weekdays lots of traffic and waits for restaurants and stuff. Lots of employees only that work and leave for the surrounding areas after work, literally thousands of people. Most evenings and weekends. Lots of big town stuff with not the huge population, so easy access to most things. The school districts are good for the most part. I would not hesitate at all to raise kids there.

@Godot, both are perfectly fine areas to live. I lived in Frankfort for several years and now live just down the road in Lawrenceburg. Both have nice downtown areas, good housing, choice of schools (3 high schools in Franklin Co with a private Christian school and Catholic school as well, 2 high schools in Shelby Co with a good private Christian school too). Both areas are relatively safe and offer activities for both adults and children. Shelbyville is just down the road from Louisville, Frankfort just up the road from Lexington. I work with several people who live in the Shelbyville area and they all love it. Given the choice between the two I would probably look at the Shelbyville/Simpsonville area first, I really like that area, but that's just me, can't go wrong with Frankfort either.

I am happy to give free advice, and it is probably worth twice what is paid for it.

I would be interested where the people will work...Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville? I have lived in Frankfort for going on 9 years, and our youngest finished high school here. Mrs. doomer was a schoolteacher in Frankfort, but she now teaches (again) in Fayette county. We lived in Lexington for 10 years as well.

My thoughts:

For the children's schooling...I would seriously check out Anderson County. We live in the very southwest part of Franklin County, so only about a few miles south of I-64, and one is in Anderson County. I know teaching positions in AC are very coveted right now, and that is usually a good thing.

Things I like about Frankfort: Not too big a city, real estate prices are better than most, met a lot of very nice people here, there is character to the geography with the Kentucky River, palisades and South Elkhorn Creek, it is easy to get to Louisville, Lexington, Cincy, Owenton (just kidding), Salato Wildlife Center, Cove Springs, Capital View Park mountain bike trails, Friday night concert series in the summer, Paul Sawyier Library and the river walk. There are also good health care options in Frankfort.

Some things I don't like:

Still some pretty dumpy areas needing refurbishment or demolition, weekends pretty dead downtown compared to weekdays especially, no confidence in the direction of the school system.

I know I'm nitpicking here, but when anyone says "down from", I automatically think it's "south of". Same with "up from" and "north of". So, I would've said Sheperdsville is just down the road from Louisville, and Georgetown is just up the road from Lexington, not Shelbyville and Frankfort. Call me weird, I know.

I know I'm nitpicking here, but when anyone says "down from", I automatically think it's "south of". Same with "up from" and "north of". So, I would've said Sheperdsville is just down the road from Louisville, and Georgetown is just up the road from Lexington, not Shelbyville and Frankfort. Call me weird, I know.

Well Shelbyville is east of Louisville...so I guess it's not really down or up, but over from. Same thing from Frankfort and Lexington. Now, if I'm' going to Danville from my house in Lawrenceburg, I could/would say "down" since it's south of me, and PP92 would say he's going "up" when coming the opposite way.

Well Shelbyville is east of Louisville...so I guess it's not really down or up, but over from. Same thing from Frankfort and Lexington. Now, if I'm' going to Danville from my house in Lawrenceburg, I could/would say "down" since it's south of me, and PP92 would say he's going "up" when coming the opposite way.

It's all good. Just bustin' your chops. :wacky: (Although it does drive me crazy when people from Northern Kentucky say they're going "down" to Cincinnati, and "up" to Lexington.)

It's all good. Just bustin' your chops. :wacky: (Although it does drive me crazy when people from Northern Kentucky say they're going "down" to Cincinnati, and "up" to Lexington.)

I agree with all this, but....Frankfort is actually a bit north of Lexington and across from Georgetown for the most part.