7th Region Rankings (1/10/16)

Rankings as of 1/10/16 for the 7th Region (Last ranking in parentheses ()).We have the first movement at the top of the 7th region since the first rankings on Dec. 22, but I don’t think the last in my opinion. There will be movement all over the place in the 7th, and I think that anyone in the top 6 can/will win the region. Note, my apologies in omitting Collegiate in the previous rankings. This was an unintentional oversight on my part. They have been added to this week’s rankings:

1. Male (12-2) (2)

This team has been very consistent all year, and was operating under the radar for a while. Not anymore! They had a blowout win to district opponent Collegiate, and had a solid 14 point win in which they controlled the game after the first quarter against Ballard. Not sure how long they’ll keep the #1 spot with the LIT this week, but they have everyone’s attention going in the tournament now.

2. Trinity (13-3) (1)

Trinity lost their only game of the week to cross-town catholic rival St. Xavier. This isn’t a bad loss, as it was a rivalry game, and St. Xavier has improved immensely the past 3 weeks. I expect a good showing from Trinity this week.

3. St. Xavier (10-5) (5)

This was a huge week for the streaking Tigers. They are sitting at the top of the ladder of the all-boys catholic schools. St. X had a huge week with a convincing win against Desales, and a solid win against previous #1 Trinity.

4. Ballard (9-6) (3)

They took a solid loss to new #1 Male, and it was a hard played game. They did rebound and got a very good win against 8th region power Oldham County the next day though.

5. Eastern (9-5) (7)

Notched a win against regional opponent Manual behind a big game from Jr. Chance Moore. They also scored a close victory against a solid KCD, who’s a district opponent.

6. Central (7-5) (4)

It’s kind of hard to gauge the Yellow Jackets at this time. With all of their key pieces available, I think that they can win the region. They were without two of their top players for each of their games this week. Starting PG and leading scorer and assist man Brandon Wells is still out with concussion symptoms and hasn’t played since the Bullitt East game in the KOB. Jason Frakes reported in the Courier-Journal today that Coach Bibby said that he’s questionable for the LIT this week. I remember him being out for a long time his sophomore year at Waggener from a concussion. I hope it’s nothing serious. They had a blowout win against Atherton, and suffered a loss to a very good North Hardin team, and had two starters out (Wells, and another due to an in house suspension). I like their ceiling, but not sold on them without Wells and their full team going forward.

7. Waggener (8-6) (8)

The Wildcats had a solid showing this week. They got a good win against a solid North Oldham team, and a blowout victory against Jeffersontown. They suffered a heartbreaking 1 point defeat to a very good Indianapolis Cathedral (IN) team yesterday in the Clem Haskins Classic at Taylor County.

8. Christian Academy (10-6) (6)

They dropped their only game of the week to a decent Christian Academy (IN) team. However, they have an opportunity to prove that they can compete with the big boys in the LIT this week. This starts with a first round game against #7 Waggener.

9. Kentucky Country Day (7-4) (10)

Moved themselves up 1 spot with a good win to an improving Shelby County team this week, and they also played Eastern to a single digit loss on Friday. I’ll be watching to see how they fare against Desales in the first round of the LIT tomorrow.

10. DuPont Manual (9-7) (9)

Lost a tight game to regional opponent Eastern, and then got a blowout win against struggling district foe Shawnee. They have an opportunity for revenge with a rematch against Eastern in the LIT on Tuesday.

11. Brown (6-7) (14)

Went 1-1 on the week with a win against Walden and a loss to Frederick Fraize.

12. Portland Christian (5-5) (13)

Got a victory against Heritage Academy this week.

13. St. Francis (5-11) (16)

The Wyverns went 2-2 this week.

14. Atherton (3-14?) (11)

Had a blowout loss to Central, and score versus Collegiate isn’t reported yet.

15. Seneca (2-12) (12)

Lost to Western in lone game this past week.

16. Collegiate (3-9?)

Lost to Male, Southern, and Atherton game result hasn’t been reported yet.

17. Shawnee (2-10) (15)

Beat Iroquois and lost to DuPont Manual this past week.

18. Walden (2-7) (17)

Went 0-3 this week.

Many of these teams are now starting to play each other, which should give us a better idea on who can win this region. I still think it is an 8 team race. As in whatever 8 teams make the regional tournament have a chance. There is also a separation between the top 10 and the rest of the field.

28th

Eastern

Ballard

CAL

KCD

I could see any of these four making out very tough district.

They bottom half of the team’s 11- 18 just won’t be able to pull an upset

11. Brown have been without leading scorer Fife (20 ppg) for a few games. If he is out for a while it could be a really long season for them.

12. Portland Christian. I do not see Shawnee on their schedule, not sure if they opted out of district play but if they did don’t see why they would play central.

13. St. Francis- have been playing better as of late and have a good chance to beat silver grove this week. Before they go into all A play against Whitefield.

14. Atherton is really struggling this year, 7 of their loss have been by 7 points or fewer. If they can start finding a way to win the close one they can turn the season around. The schedule gets a little easier the second half. They did win a tight one over collegiate on Saturday.

15. Seneca- they do have 3 winnable games coming up Fairdale, Lou. Holy Cross and Atherton (district game). They need to win 2 of these for confidence.

16. Collegiate. Is playing better and that is in large part to a 6’8 transfer from ST.X who started playing right around Christmas break. A win over Atherton could have been he for them. They have Portland Christian on the 11th. Which I see them winning.

17. Shawnee- they continue to struggle and looking to get a few wins in All A winning the 6th region All A could be a saving grace for a struggling team and season.

18. Walden they are not very good but they do have Michael Harris who is the best player in the region most have never heard of. He is avg. around 37 a game and can keep them in most games.

18. Walden they are not very good but they do have Michael Harris who is the best player in the region most have never heard of. He is avg. around 37 a game and can keep them in most games.

Harris has made 42 2 points baskets and 41 3 point baskets....that is unbelievable.

Harris has made 42 2 points baskets and 41 3 point baskets....that is unbelievable.

I have seen Walden play a couple times and I give Michael Harris a lot of credit. He does not have much help. Other teams can focus their defense on him, yet he still scores a lot. Plus, he is not shooting every time down the floor; he is trying to get others involved in the offense. The reality is that it is almost always the case that their best option is for him to shoot. But what I most admire about him is that I have never seen him express frustration or get mad at any of his teammates. He just keeps playing basketball. I wish him the best.