Death of Woman in Arm & Leg Restraints Who Was Repeatedly Tazed Ruled "Accidental"

To me, this is a better example of a case of depraved heart murder than what was going on in Baltimore if it was just a "rough ride".

I'd imagine it's someone with very little training if they think that repeatedly shocking someone is going to do anything to them except seriously hurt them.

To me, this is a better example of a case of depraved heart murder than what was going on in Baltimore if it was just a "rough ride".

I'd imagine it's someone with very little training if they think that repeatedly shocking someone is going to do anything to them except seriously hurt them.

And it certainly is not going to help a psychotic person calm down.

Sounds like someone was trying to teach this woman "a lesson". It is a shame.

Now that the media is getting ahold of this one, I think some decisions may be changing and heads starting to roll.

I'm obviously not a LEO, but is there a reason you taser a restrained person? I thought the purpose of tasing was to stop fleeing and/or take control of an uncooperative person without endangering yourself more than necessary. Seems that once someone is cuffed, that's kind of taken care of.

It shouldn't but life has a way of throwing curve balls.

Agreed. If you assault a hemophiliac and kill them, it doesn't matter that it wouldn't have killed 99% of the population, you've still committed a homicide. It may not be murder, but it can certainly be manslaughter.

This isn't an "I hate police" thing people have, it's a "did this woman die needlessly?" thing. The article is from a credible source and states she was restrained both at the arms and legs, and that numerous experts have stated that it was excessive.

Now the jail has already taken them out of use, and while subsequent remedial measures probably won't be admissible in tort, it's still telling to the public. I think it's fair to say that it seems as if the problem wasn't the taser, it was the person using it.

To top it all, the report states that she was transferred there on February 3 because "her mental state was deteriorating", so it isn't as if they didn't have notice that this woman had some mental issues.

FWIW 4 jolts from a TASER shouldn't kill anyone.

Shouldn't. But people,who are acutely psychotic tend to have faster heart rates. In addition, they often self medicate with cocaine, which can cause heart attacks by itself. Either one could have predisposed her to an arrythmia. A taser may have aggravated this situation. Not saying this was the case, but if it could be. I have seen violent people subdued safely using tasers. They are a good tool, but everything has risks. I don't see any reason why someone already in restraints warrants getting tazed.

Agreed. If you assault a hemophiliac and kill them, it doesn't matter that it wouldn't have killed 99% of the population, you've still committed a homicide. It may not be murder, but it can certainly be manslaughter.

This isn't an "I hate police" thing people have, it's a "did this woman die needlessly?" thing. The article is from a credible source and states she was restrained both at the arms and legs, and that numerous experts have stated that it was excessive.

Now the jail has already taken them out of use, and while subsequent remedial measures probably won't be admissible in tort, it's still telling to the public. I think it's fair to say that it seems as if the problem wasn't the taser, it was the person using it.

To top it all, the report states that she was transferred there on February 3 because "her mental state was deteriorating", so it isn't as if they didn't have notice that this woman had some mental issues.

If it was at a jail was it police or jail staff that did this?