Covington Catholic versus Highlands Rivalry

Jack of all Trades

My daughter is currently a junior at NKU and one of the classes that she is taking this semester is Sports Rivalries. They were not allowed to choose some of the obvious ones like Yankees/Red Sox, Ohio State/Michigan and you get my drift. The rivalry could be at any level. Seeing as how she is a Highlands graduate, she chose Covington Catholic and Highlands. Focus has been placed on the football side of things, but she is also including a lot of general information about each school such as the success each has academically. She already has some pretty good facts, but is looking for anything extra that someone might be able to add. I know that some of the things she asked me were when the rivalry started and what have been some defining moments in the rivalry. Some that she has already mentioned to me are

1. The Beau Hoge run in this years playoff game.

2. Mike Mitchell switching uniforms and leading the Birds to a state title.

3. The Mud Bowl

4. The catch in the corner of the endzone by CovCath to win in the playoffs.

Anything else someone could add would be appreciated. I placed it here because she is looking for information on any and all sports.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Bankemper(?) going over the top for the winner in 81 or 82 helped the rivalry grow.

I mentioned that to her as well, but after thinking about it some more, I am not sure that NewCath was still not the Birds biggest rival at that time. Good potential starting point though I would agree.

I believe the rivalry really heated up in the 80's in football. It was usually Highlands or Cov Cath winning the 3a title. From 1987 to 2000 either Highlands (6) or Cov Cath (5) won the state title 11 of the 14 years.

Are you thinking in the late 80's or do you feel like Clyde that it might have gotten a jump start in 1982?

Are you thinking in the late 80's or do you feel like Clyde that it might have gotten a jump start in 1982?

I was thinking late 80's but wasn't around for the 81/82. After Highlands won state in 82, neither Highlands nor Cov Cath won state until 87. I think Highlands being lean in the Eicher years didn't help and Cov went on run with back to back championships really heated it up.

There isn't a whole lot of information in this thread, but it might be worthwhile to take a look at:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/covcath-v-highlands-241419.html

I could have sworn that I (relatively) recently gave a breakdown of the CCH / HHS basketball series, but I can't locate it on the new BGP. That'll be some good information if she's looking to include all sports, but I suspect the emphasis will be on football.

There isn't a whole lot of information in this thread, but it might be worthwhile to take a look at:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/covcath-v-highlands-241419.html

I could have sworn that I (relatively) recently gave a breakdown of the CCH / HHS basketball series, but I can't locate it on the new BGP. That'll be some good information if she's looking to include all sports, but I suspect the emphasis will be on football.

The rivalry is because of football but it does extend to all sports. Every game against the Birds has a different feel for the players.

The rivalry is because of football but it does extend to all sports. Every game against the Birds has a different feel for the players.

I would agree with this. Back in the day, Newport Catholic was considered the number 1 rival of Highlands, but that changed a little when NewCath was reclassed in football IMO. Still has a little fire to it, mainly in soccer and baseball, but growing in softball and girls basketball.