Mercy Coach Resigns

Clyde

He has accepted a position with a D1 volleyball program. The school is known, but for some reason not being publicized. Not UofL. It's a good opportunity and he's going out on top--good luck to Todd.

This should be an interesting hire not only for its effects on high school ball but on the club scene as well. It's well known that the players will usually follow a top tier high school's coach. The rise of Union in recent years was the result of the Garvey brothers involvement. Whatever club finds itself associated wit the new Mercy coach should see a benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

he's going to Purdue, it's not a secret.

Garvey To Be Next Volleyball Volunteer Assistant - PURDUESPORTS.COM - Purdue Official Athletic Site

While he has won 3 state championships, my opinion is that this opportunity is more likely from his success at MAVA and Union in Club volleyball and not in High School. No one at the collegiate level cares about HS Volleyball because for the most part, it's terrible - but they do care about Club.

PU HC Shondell came from Club ranks too.

I'm surprised most that he left to take a volunteer assistant position. There's been previous offers of an actual assistant spot with other programs.

I've heard Mercy has not had any official interviews yet--supposed to be in coming weeks. Right now they're just collecting applications. No sense to be in any hurry to fill the spot. You want to make the right choice the first time. In any case, next season is going to be a tough one trying to replace this years seniors.

Rock mom, I too know someone who would be a home run hire, a great teacher of the game, and great bench coach as well, and I hope I'm right.