Heidi Thelen commits to Penn State

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those not in the volleyball universe, this would be like a running back committing to Alabama or a power forward committing to Kentucky. Penn State is simply the best volleyball program out there right now. Congrats!

WOW! I knew they were interested but that's still a shocker. Big time!

My aging memory says she has 2 years left at NDA, correct?

WOW! I knew they were interested but that's still a shocker. Big time!

My aging memory says she has 2 years left at NDA, correct?

Heidi and Elle both will be Juniors. When Russ Rose, PSU head coach, suddenly starts showing up at your club volleyball tournaments, I think your college search is over. NDA is loaded as usual, but I have a funny feeling that St. Henry will get the best of them - Fortner and Bessler are Seniors this year and I think they will push hard to go to state. It's early to start ranting already, but really sucks that Ryle, NDA, and St. Henry are 3 of the top 5 teams in the state, but only 1 will actually go to state. Those 3 can beat anyone in the state outside of the I-264 Watterson Expressway loop.

Congrats to Heidi and her family. So happy for them! What a super accomplishment! I bet she is super excited to be a part of one of the most storied volleyball programs in the country. Pretty sure that was her goal/dream school since the 7th grade.

Super accomplishment Heidi!

Is this the biggest program an NKY player has ever committed to?

Yes. Has to be. PSU has won 4 of the last 5 national titles. Russ Rose has won more Women's titles than any other D1 Women's volleyball coach ever (5). He's also made it to the championship 3 additional times. PSU has never finished worse than 3rd in the Big Ten. They've made the NCAA tournament 31 straight years. In 2008 they didn't lose a regular season set, not match, set, something no DI, II, or III school has ever done. They won 109 straight matches over a 3 year period.

Dare I say the biggest NKY signing in any sport?

Yes. Has to be. PSU has won 4 of the last 5 national titles. Russ Rose has won more Women's titles than any other D1 Women's volleyball coach ever (5). He's also made it to the championship 3 additional times. PSU has never finished worse than 3rd in the Big Ten. They've made the NCAA tournament 31 straight years. In 2008 they didn't lose a regular season set, not match, set, something no DI, II, or III school has ever done. They won 109 straight matches over a 3 year period.

All sports being equal, yes.

Shawn Alexander, Alabama says hello. Great accomplishment.