Conner Dugout Damaged during last night's storms

buttels

Looks like the wind took the roof off, and the roof damaged the top couple of courses if cinder blocks and the fence in the process of flying into the parking lot. With one side of the structure completely wide open the way it is, I guess it just turns the dugout into a giant windsock if the wind is coming from the right direction.

That's a big bummer for Arlo and the Cougars, but I wouldn't assume the structure is any danger to players sitting on the bench inside once they get rid of the debris and pull off any loosened or failed cinder blocks from the tops of the walls.

In my home building days, I always used to question how necessary hurricane ties were (metal strips that fasten the roof trusses to the framing of the walls) when it came to reinforcing houses built in Greater Cincinnati. I guess this basically answers that question.

Looks like the wind took the roof off, and the roof damaged the top couple of courses if cinder blocks and the fence in the process of flying into the parking lot. With one side of the structure completely wide open the way it is, I guess it just turns the dugout into a giant windsock if the wind is coming from the right direction.

That's a big bummer for Arlo and the Cougars, but I wouldn't assume the structure is any danger to players sitting on the bench inside once they get rid of the debris and pull off any loosened or failed cinder blocks from the tops of the walls.

In my home building days, I always used to question how necessary hurricane ties were (metal strips that fasten the roof trusses to the framing of the walls) when it came to reinforcing houses built in Greater Cincinnati. I guess this basically answers that question.

NWS is saying that they had a sudden down draft that blew the roof off. Essentially it all gains steam as the gust falls to earth and then once impacted on the ground must continue parallel to the ground until it's energy is gone. It's a wonder there wasn't more damage to the facility with that being the case.

I'd say it will take quick work or that game will have to be moved. You could play with a roofless dugout but the fence behind it doesn't look to be in great shape after the storm.

Nahhh....assuming they could make it out in the next couple of business days, that fence is maybe an hour or two of work for a Mills Fence crew....tops.

The hitch there is whether they can make it out in that timeframe.

Saw on FB that the school board had to bless the cleanup that was supposed to happen on Saturday. Planning on stopping out there this afternoon to check out things.

No sure whether or not it's the case, but if the insurance investigator hadn't been out by Saturday, then cleaning up the mess would have potentially gotten rid of any opportunity to collect on any insurance policies they had on the field and field facilities. Foregoing the insurance claim may well have been what the school board was giving their blessing for.

(I think there's also a good chance that whatever the deductible was on the insurance policy may well have been somewhere close to or even more than whatever the actual rebuild cost is for the dugout roof.)

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue