Marion County 65 Boone County 50

Marion first state team to beat Boone

From E-Town News Enterprise

Marion County’s talented trio was too much for Boone County’s one-woman show Saturday evening during the nightcap of the fifth annual Duke’s Sporting Goods Valentine’s Shootout at John Hardin.

Three Division-I bound Marion County players – junior guard Makayla Epps (Louisville verbal commitment), junior forward Kyvin Goodin-Rogers (Louisville verbal commitment) and senior guard Bre Elder (Dayton signee) – combined for 51 points as the second-ranked Lady Knights surged past third-ranked Boone County and standout Lady Rebel senior forward Sydney Moss, 65-50.

Boone County (24-2) entered Saturday with the state’s longest win streak (22) and was 23-0 against state competition. Moss, daughter of former NFL star wide receiver Randy Moss, finished with a game-high 25 points.

Marion County junior guard Patrice Tonge drew the defensive assignment on Moss, a Florida signee who is considered a front runner to be named Kentucky’s Miss Basketball.

“Syd’s the best player in Kentucky and she can score anytime she wants to,” said Marion County coach Trent Milby. “I told Patrice before the game to not put her head down because Moss is going to score and she’s gonna get hers. But I thought for the most part, Patrice did a good job of staying in front of her and forced Moss to shoot over her.”

The teams were tied at 46 before Marion County (25-4) closed with a 19-4 run over the final 4:17. The Lady Rebels were 1-of-9 from the field and turned it over four times during the Lady Knights’ surge.

“That was the best fourth quarter we’ve played in two years as far as executing and doing what we wanted to do and finish the game off,” Milby said.

The run started with an old-fashioned three-point play by Epps, the daughter of former Kentucky standout guard Anthony Epps. The younger Epps scored her team’s first 11 points of the fourth quarter and finished with a team-high 21 points.

“We tried to get her to do that the whole game and for some reason, she does it at the times we really need it,” Milby said. “But we told her if you play like that the whole game, then 90 percent of the time you won’t have to do it at the end like that because we’ll be ahead.”

Goodin-Rogers, daughter of former Hart County prep standout and Louisville fan favorite Tick Rogers, added 20 points. Elder had 10, while junior forward Logan Powell had eight and Tonge had six.

Moss was the only Lady Rebel to score in double figures. Freshman guard Alexis Switzer added nine points.

Marion County 16 11 13 25—65

Boone County 14 16 12 8—50

Boone County (24-2)

Sydney Moss 25, Alexis Switzer 9, Lydia Nash 5, Zuri Hill 4, Elizabeth Switzer 4, Jessica Jones 3. FG: 18. FT: 10-12. 3-pointers: 4 (Moss 2, Jones 1, A. Switzer 1).

Marion County (25-4)

Makayla Epps 21, Kyvin Goodin-Rogers 20, Bre Elder 10, Logan Powell 8, Patrice Tonge 6. FG: 19. FT: 18-22. 3-pointers: 3 (Elder 1, Epps 1, Goodin-Rogers 1).

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/content/girls-prep-basketball-marion-first-state-team-beat-boone-0212

Edited by gold sunrise
Added link

The final score in this one certainly belies the overall competitiveness of this game. Boone hit it's first three shots, a couple of mid-range jumpers by Moss and a three by freshman guard Alexis Switzer, to jump to a 7-2 lead. Marion County responded with a 10-0 run to lead 12-7 and was up 16-11 before a last second, long range three by the Lady Rebels Jessica Jones set the first quarter margin at 16-14 Lady Knights.

The Lady Rebels shot the ball well in the second quarter led by Moss' 3 for 3 from the floor including 2-threes to lead at the half by 30-27. After trailng by four early in the quarter Boone County had several 4-point leads in the quarter.

The third quarter saw Boone falling behind by six during a 3-minute stretch that Moss sat. She came back in and rallied the Lady Rebels to an 8-0 finish to the quarter and a 2 point edge going to the final stanza.

The score was tied at 46 all at the 5:04 mark before Epps began her heroics. She took it to the hole twice including an and-one and Goodin-Rogers hit a three to jump the Lady Knights up 54-46 with 2:48 to play. Boone then had two open looks on straight possesions, one a three, that didn't drop and the story was pretty much written. Moss was able to convert 4 free throws but that's all the Ladt Rebels scored in the last 5+ minutes and the margin grew as the Lady Knights got several easy buckets against a gambling Boone County press.

Overall a good game between to of the better teams in the state. The big difference was the experience of MC's "Big Three". Epps, Goodin-Rogers, and Bre Elder are all capable of creating their own shots and scoring. Epps and Elder handle the ball superbly and don't turn it over. Turnovers were huge in the game as Boone gave the ball up just too many times, often without a lot of serious pressure. For the Lady Rebels to win against the caliber of a team like Marion County they simply have to cut down on those mistakes. But hanging with the Lady Knights for 3 1/2 quarters as they did says they aren't far off being able to win at that level.

Moss had one of her best shooting nights of the season. After three quarters she was 7 for 9 from the floor including 2-2 from three for 19 points. That shooting percentage fell off toward the end of the game as she had to force up some tough contested shots when the margin got a bit out of hand. As I've stated earlier, Marion County's three stars were all very, very good.

I wish I could have made the trip down but from what I was told it as a great game to watch. Seems like Boone had trouble getting Nash going and that seems to be what they needed against Marion. Also I heard that they let Goodin-Rogers do whatever she wanted. Nice to see they kept it close with the foul trouble that Boone had going into halftime. Question is can Boone get things together after this loss and get mentaally ready for districts and regionals?

I wish I could have made the trip down but from what I was told it as a great game to watch. Seems like Boone had trouble getting Nash going and that seems to be what they needed against Marion. Also I heard that they let Goodin-Rogers do whatever she wanted. Nice to see they kept it close with the foul trouble that Boone had going into halftime. Question is can Boone get things together after this loss and get mentaally ready for districts and regionals?

I don't think the loss will affect them at all in the tournament. They know they can play with the best.........their thought process post-game was "we let that one get away". Plus, any pressure to hold a winning streak (if there was any) is now gone.

WVFRANK, Syd gets very little rest during a game, does her production fall off in the fourth or is she able to maintain her game throughout the contest? Not easy to run and gun as well as defend 30 minutes a game night in and night out.

WVFRANK, Syd gets very little rest during a game, does her production fall off in the fourth or is she able to maintain her game throughout the contest? Not easy to run and gun as well as defend 30 minutes a game night in and night out.

I don't think the minutes affect her much. She generally is able to produce in the fourth quarter when that is needed. And she is pretty good at knowing when and how to pace herself. Three game days of AAU ball have taught her that!

On Saturday night she just didn't get any touches during the initial part of the Marion County run. That was because of BC turnovers or her giving the ball up to someone with a better shot (reference the two open shot misses I mentioned earlier). Perhaps she needs to just shoot the ball in those situations.

To me she has looked a bit tired in recent games, but I think that may be more the effect of nagging injuries more than real fatique. She still is having some issues with the shoulder she had come out of place just after Christmas and the ankle she sprained in the ND game. She is playing through those things but it has to be tough game after game to go through that. I think she is gradually getting better but those things tend to get reaggravated every time you play.

It will be interesting to see if she can elevate her game come tournament time as she has been able to do in the past.

I don't think the loss will affect them at all in the tournament. They know they can play with the best.........their thought process post-game was "we let that one get away". Plus, any pressure to hold a winning streak (if there was any) is now gone.

Great points. I never think any loss is a good one, but this is probably the best time for one. Best of luck to Boone in the Districts and Regional.

Really no surprise here. Sounds like Marion is a very good team and a very credible contendor to win it all.

I give BC credit for scheduling a heavyweight like Marion towards the end of the season to get an idea as to where they stack up against a team that is typically one of the stronger programs in the state.

Really good teams make teams think they are in it even if it is for 3 1/2 qtrs, they only need a small window of opportunity to seperate themselves at the end.

Good luck to both teams in the post season.