How do you rate the state?

BigRebel

Originally posted by bobcats

Here are just some of the skill speed we had this past year...

Brandon Thomas 4.3

Randy Gaddis 4.5

T.J. Fraley 4.4

Courtney Johnson 4.5

Justin Haddix 4.5

Who timed these kids? Was it the Breathitt Coaching staff or administrators at a college camp?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i talk about throwing in wky i am referring to the db's.You had better be able to throw it well or you will get picked.Hoptown had a great defense and a young qb. they didn't throw as much because they didn't want to create cheap field position.My point is because th Rock plays so many people tin the box Hoptown would have had to throw.The Rock dbs weren't fast enough hang with their rec's.I do know this ---Hoptown played Boyle Co the last 2 years and both games came down to the wire.Hoptown lost by 7pts and 6pts and both games were decided by turnovers.I observed both games between the Rock and Boyle and at no time were they in the game.They were mismatched from the beginning.I can only go on how other teams played us and how we played Boyle .Iwill state now that we had to play every playoff game to survive.The competition from our region is the best in AAA from top to bottom and we struggle to have state champions because we beat each other up so bad.

Again i will state that i observed Brathitt up close and they did not have 4.3,4.4,4.5,4.5,4.5 speed.If that is the clock that they use up there then you couldn't imagine the times that would come out of here.If you know any college coaches ask them to get you the times from the combines each spring and compare the speed.

About Willis i was kidding about the Turtle thing.Is he still a good baseball player?He was the best young baseball player here befor he moved.Actually i though he moved to Louisville.

Originally posted by westsider

I saw Breathitt and Corbin ... impressive to win 51-0 with all those guys wearing ankle weights ...

It amazes me how many people have a problem in thinking that there are some mountain teams that can play ball. Those times are legit times and recorded at the combine in hazard. Oh, by the way, I graduated BHS in 1994.

If you think real hard, its really quite simple, all these mountains these kids have to cross develops more muscle's, therefore making them stronger and occasionally you will see one that is faster that a turtle.

You guy really have a problem with us mountain folks don't ya...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by bobcats

It amazes me how many people have a problem in thinking that there are some mountain teams that can play ball. Those times are legit times and recorded at the combine in hazard. Oh, by the way, I graduated BHS in 1994.

I don't have a problem "in thinking that there are some mountain teams that can play ball." Rather, my problem is with the forty times. If those times are correct than Breathitt has one of the fastest teams in the nation. Look at the times for the top athletes in the nation:

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/2003topaths.html

Who runs the combine in Hazard?

Rockcastle County vs. Hopkinsville Debate

Bottom Line is that both teams are very good squads, no one knows who could've beat the other, it is merely all speculation and therefore holds no significance. I have heard that if HopTown didn't have to play Boyle County they would've made it to State, well in turn if Rockcastle County didn't have to play Boyle County they made have won State, it can go both ways. Both teams have had to play tough schedules in the playoffs to advance to the late rounds, teams such as Highlands, Male, St. X, Covington Catholic, Boyle County, and Lawrence County for the past 4 years. None of these teams were cake walks across the state for opposing teams. All that can be said is that Hopkinsville has won the region 4 straight years to the Rockets 3 straight years, and the Rockets have made it to Louisville 2 straight years to Hopkinsville's 0, it all adds up to nothing in the end if your not wearing a ring, so I'm leaving it at that, and until Hopkinsville can make it out of their bracket to Louisville then I won't worry about them.

*Also Rockcastle's defense changes with the offense, you (Bengal) mentioned that all we do is play a ton of players in the box, well that is only true when we need to, our defense differs from week to week depending upon our scouting reports and the other teams strengths.

*I have no idea about Willis in baseball, but in basketball he is a true balla...

Kinda says it all, doesn't it? ... Tilghman goes out and picks up Henry Clay and Ballard, Hoptown and Male have become an annual thing and Rockcastle picks up ... LaRue and Southwestern.

Go ahead and pcik up your Lexington teams, guess what we have had Dunbar on the schedule for 3 years, this being the 4th, we are 3-0 against them, the best team in Lexington...Twice we were in 2A playing them. Larue County is a Bowl Game, and by the way what is wrong with them? SWP, well they are no Male but they are a rival which has been renewed, Pulaski County does border Rockcastle County and this in no different than Beechwood playing Cov Cath. They are a very good 4A team that is dropping to 3A. we haven't played that Males and the Trinity's in football for one reason, we don't belong on the same field, we do not have the numbers to compete nor the athletes, 6-9 players go both ways annually for RC. Go ahead and play Male, and leave our scheduling to us. RC's sheduling has been riden for the past 2 years exensively, yet they make it to the big dance both times, o wait I can hear it now:

If they would've scheduled harder they may have won it all...

Guess what if they would've sheduled harder they may not have had a team to get there with.

Two observations ...

" And you'll have a tough time favorably comparing mountain skill kids with those from the rest of the state."

for westsider---- the above statement is only one sentence from a previous quote you placed.I would be very interested in hearing why you feel this way.Please explain.:confused:

Originally posted by Breathittguy

" And you'll have a tough time favorably comparing mountain skill kids with those from the rest of the state."

for westsider---- the above statement is only one sentence from a previous quote you placed.I would be very interested in hearing why you feel this way.Please explain.:confused:

Because in most years, the top quarterbacks, backs and receivers from the mountains are generally not as talented as those from other parts of the state. There isn't as much speed and quickness in the mountains, and the week-in, week-out level of competition isn't as good as it is in other areas.

There are notable exceptions, of course ... Couch, Chapman, Gerad Parker just to name three off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

You keep on complaining about mountain folks being slow and not being able to play football and Beathitt and probably a few others will keep adding state champioships to their colection. By the way besides 1 or 2 championships in the last 10years, what else can the western side say they have.

That old saying- It's not what you have done in the past that counts, it's what your doing now.:thumb:

OK guys, you want to know why I'm so skeptical ... you act like Breathitt's state championship reflects some new period of dominance by the mountain schools ... for starters, Breathitt was the state champion in 2A, and the east was unquestionably the strongest side in Class 2A ... of course, 2A is unquestionably the state's weakest class.

The mountains sure weren't very dominant before ... Bardstown destroyed Prestonsburg in 01, Boyle County won two before that ... Breathitt's title this year was the mountains' first 2A state title since the great Breathitt run in 95 and 96.

The mountains have produced, by my count, four state titles in the last 10 years (Breathitt in 95, 96 and 02 and Middlesboro in 98) ... that hardly is a show of dominance ... by the way, the west has five (Mayfield in 93, 95 and 02, Bowling Green in 95, Caldwell County in 98) in the same time frame.

I don't claim the west to be the state's best area for football ... northern Kentucky has generally had our number for 15 years (notable exception ... Mayfield vs. Beechwood) and Louisville and central Kentucky are strong ... I think the numbers will bear me out when I say the west generally produces more talent than the east.