Table tennis

Alabama Larry

I go to a club on Wednesday and love to play. The guys/gals there are very good better than me, but I love to play. Since school is out I took my son and he had a great time. We played doubles and he held his own. After we got done I told everyone..."he plays like his Mom"! Several of them replied.."Mom is pretty good."

They were real nice to him, and they are playing friday the next two due to the holidays, and we are going back. He plays me so much it was great for him to play others. Santa has brought us a new table.

I say in a year I won't be able to beat him. So next year I'm asking for some boxing gloves. The dog tore my old pair up.

We play at Beechmont Community Center off 3rd street, 11AM util 2. And they also play at nite on Tuesday and saturdays. Its a far drive for us or we would go more.

Also an older man passed out due to breathing problems and chest pains we called 911. I checked his pulse and it was real weak. He left soon after with EMS and was alert. Scary time for all of us.

I played quite a bit in college. We had a table on our fraternity floor for a year and that gone a ton of usage. We set up some decent size tournaments which I won two of the three. I love it, but haven't played for a while.

Have you ever had a USTTA Rating?

We play a fair amount of 'ping-pong' in the basement and I've always considered myself reasonably good, though I suspect I'd find out in a hurry just how reasonably bad I actually am if I ever tried to play competitively.

So is there a difference between table tennis and ping-pong, other than one sounds a little more aristocratic than the other?

I played Table Tennis on a regular basis and competed for years. Great great lifetime sport that I want to get back into. I am sure I would know several members from the Louisville Table Tennis Club. Good people!
Yes, they are some very fine folks and these guys can play and gives me hope. I'm too vocal and talk too much, they just laugh. GOOD SHOT. GOOD SHOT GOOD SHOT, seems I say that a lot. Guru, try to make it down, we have a blast. I'll buy lunch. And I'll show you the Bama Cave. :banana:

We play a fair amount of 'ping-pong' in the basement and I've always considered myself reasonably good, though I suspect I'd find out in a hurry just how reasonably bad I actually am if I ever tried to play competitively.

So is there a difference between table tennis and ping-pong, other than one sounds a little more aristocratic than the other?

No difference coop and you are right, go to any club and the worst player there would eat your lunch.

Yes, they are some very fine folks and these guys can play and gives me hope. I'm too vocal and talk too much, they just laugh. GOOD SHOT. GOOD SHOT GOOD SHOT, seems I say that a lot. Guru, try to make it down, we have a blast. I'll buy lunch. And I'll show you the Bama Cave. :banana:

I will think about it Larry.

No difference coop and you are right, go to any club and the worst player there would eat your lunch.

They would whump me in ping pong first and then eat my lunch? That's kind of rude. I'm pretty protective of my lunch and would probably put up a fight over that. :D

I have no doubt I'd be slaughtered. I know there are some pretty strict rules on serving - ball must be thrown up several inches from an open flat palm of hand without any spin and only hit on way down (and I'm sure some other intricacies) - that aren't followed in most home ping-pong matches, certainly not at my house. Guessing I'd probably have trouble getting off a legal serve, not that it would do me much good even if I did.

If you play for two hours and rest a bit you get a great workout. The next day is when you feel it for me I'm late 50s. But its about placement and hitting the ball for your next shot. I look for a weakness and thrive on it.

COOP mention the correct serve and you have to have the ball behind the table can't reach ahead and serve. Its easy as you see it done, but you wanna keep the ball close to the net. In doubles its like a whole different game. I try to keep the ball in play and let you make the mistake. Northen Kentucky has some players and I believe its pretty popular sport.

Here's a thread that Cov Latin could compete in if there were any BGP members to be had. Their locker room has 4 or 5 tables in it, and they actually teach a pretty extensive table tennis course to all of their freshman in phys ed. Way back when I did my one year at Covingtonensis Latina Schola, there were probably 20 or so really solid players. Not sure how popular it is down there these days, but if there ever were a sport that was "Latin School's sport"....that'd be it.