NBA Officially Cancels Games

If anyone's interested, I'm going to bump this as sort of a de facto "Track the Lockout" thread. I'm fascinated with the whole thing; and I'm fascinated in a way I wasn't by the NFL lockout.

Talks ended last night and some of the players are beginning to see what most of the fans have known for the last three years leading to the lockout:

The owners are wrong... completely and unequivocally wrong. The owners are still going to win.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone's interested, I'm going to bump this as sort of a de facto "Track the Lockout" thread. I'm fascinated with the whole thing; and I'm fascinated in a way I wasn't by the NFL lockout.

Talks ended last night and some of the players are beginning to see what most of the fans have known for the last three years leading to the lockout:

The owners are wrong... completely and unequivocally wrong. The owners are still going to win.

The owners are definitely going to win. I think it's just a matter of how bad they are going to win. Simmons' has compared this to the writer's strike and I find that to be fair.

Stern missed the talks because he had the flu. Not sure if I'm buying that.

^ Simmons has really taken a couple unfair jabs during this thing that have started to drive me crazy. His comment about the players lacking "intellectual capital" really rubbed me the wrong way.

But yeah, at this point it seems like it's just a matter "by how much?" It's become increasingly clear that the owners never had any intention of playing November games. I think they probably negotiated in bad faith, but that's neither here nor there at this point. I don't understand why the owners seem to feel that their guaranteed income is somehow different than Rashard Lewis', but again that's neither here nor there. The Spurs' chairman says that the team just wants "the chance to make a few bucks." His arena was financed with $145 million in taxpayer funds and now it sits empty, but that's neither here nor there.

I just want some basketball.

^ Simmons has really taken a couple unfair jabs during this thing that have started to drive me crazy. His comment about the players lacking "intellectual capital" really rubbed me the wrong way.

I just want some basketball.

Is he wrong? Didn't you hear about what KG did to one of the meeting?

^ Yeah, that definitely wasn't the best idea. It doesn't mean that something about the way Simmons said it didn't strike me the wrong way. It's a long-developing pattern with Simmons where owners are the generous benefactors that allow athletes to play their game and no one should question anything so long as there is money to be made.

I am just hoping for a January start at this point.

The Nike commercial with Wade, CP3 and Melo is tight.

I think their momentum will pick back up. LBJ is still such a polarizing figure, Kobe has rest, Howard is leaving, Melo and Amare, Durantula and Dirk don't miss. Many other storylines to come. Hopefully.

For the first time in months, it seems like there's some positive talk coming out of the NBA's labor situation. Word is that if they reach an agreement by the end of the weekend, they'll start the season December 1.

Man I hope so. I am so tired of hearing about Tebow. That's all they talk about. I can't take a whole winter of Tebow. Bring me The Giant Tool and Kobe's Last Stand(take 2).

Evidently it's somewhere around $80-$90 million that's the holdup (the difference between 52 or 52.5% of BRI and 50%). That's in the neighborhood of $200K per player.

Or, looked at another way, $3 million per team. Probably wouldn't make a dent in Mark Cuban's petty cash fund.