Highlands and Bell County

jbwill2

Thanksgiving day in 1992. Dudley was giving the home folks something to do on Turkey Day. HHS defeated the defending state champs. Boy was my turkey sandwich on the long bus ride home good. I do have lots of respect for their team. It was the hardest hitting team I ever played against.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanksgiving day in 1992. Dudley was giving the home folks something to do on Turkey Day. HHS defeated the defending state champs. Boy was my turkey sandwich on the long bus ride home good. I do have lots of respect for their team. It was the hardest hitting team I ever played against.

I love my ball coach, but that decision could have been the biggest coaches decision to backfire I have ever seen in KY HS sports period. It seemed like a great plan, and it totally backfired big time.

I love my ball coach, but that decision could have been the biggest coaches decision to backfire I have ever seen in KY HS sports period. It seemed like a great plan, and it totally backfired big time.

I loved it. It doesn't get any better than football on Thanksgiving. Besides, I didn't have to cook. :D

I played in the infamous "TURKEY DAY" game. It was a sound decision at the time, as I remember. We were beaten by a better team that day. Our defense lost a lot from the championship year, and that was the true downfall. Our problem back then, was we had no passing attack. Darrin Clark(UK) was the only pass threat, but we just couldn't get the ground game going. As I remember, it was so cold out there that night too. What a rivarly though. Glad I experinced it first hand.

I realize that they do not play together very often, but could it be that Bell County and Highlands have the most interesting football "rivalry" in the state? Consider what's happened in the past:

Last year, HHS barely beat BC on the field, then had to forfeit the game (even though HHS was allowed to advance to the title game, which they won).

I can't remember the year, but BC had to forfeit an early-season game against HHS (which BC had won on the field). In fact, I think that BC went on to win the state title that year.

In 1996, HHS went to BC and won a close game (by a FG at the end) en route to winning 3A. I remember hearing all sorts of allegations that BC was having the chain gang on HHS' sideline signal to BC's coaching staff whether HHS was going to pass or run the ball before each play.

One year in the early 90's, HHS was scheduled to play BC in the state semis on Thanksgiving weekend. The game was then scheduled to be played a day early, Thursday, which is Thanksgiving Day. The game then went on to be called "The Turkey Bowl!"

Every time these two hook up, something crazy happens!!! Is there any other football "rivalry" which can boast of this level of strangeness???

I must admit, I was hopeful that HHS and BC were both going to win their regional finals games in 2005, to see what would happen next. Maybe next year...

Don't forget about watering the field down in 96 to try to take away the outside running game.

Don't forget about watering the field down in 96 to try to take away the outside running game.

I might add that those were all accusations with no solid evidence to prove otherwise! :thumb: Watering a field down and putting no tarp on a field are 2 different things! :lol:

I played in these games guys. Most of this stuff is just conspiracy theory. There have always been questionable calls in these games, but I admit that Ft, Thomas beat us fair and square, at least when I played. They just always had more talent and depth, but they knew they were gonna get hit, and hit hard when we locked horns.

I might add that those were all accusations with no solid evidence to prove otherwise! :thumb: Watering a field down and putting no tarp on a field are 2 different things! :lol:

No solid evidence? I still have a bucket of mud from that game. Who puts a tarp down when the sprinklers are on anyway? ;) :lol:

No solid evidence? I still have a bucket of mud from that game. Who puts a tarp down when the sprinklers are on anyway? ;) :lol:

:laugh: Sprinklers..... rain clouds..... whats the difference! Not only is Dudley a great football coach, he also has an uncanny ability to predict the weather and bring to fruition his own forecast!!! :thumb:

:laugh: Sprinklers..... rain clouds..... whats the difference! Not only is Dudley a great football coach, he also has an uncanny ability to predict the weather and bring to fruition his own forecast!!! :thumb:

:thumb:

Ineligible...Injunction...What's the difference there? :fire:

:thumb:

Ineligible...Injunction...What's the difference there? :fire:

The difference = governing bodies.... KHSAA and Kentucky State Government.... big difference!

Just a thought! :thumb:

Another big difference.... ineligible players and muddy fields.... dont see how those 2 compare!

The difference = governing bodies.... KHSAA and Kentucky State Government.... big difference!

Just a thought! :thumb:

Another big difference.... ineligible players and muddy fields.... dont see how those 2 compare!

Ahh, but ineligible players and muddy fields by purposely watering them down is very, very similar. :fire:

BTW, it wasn't a comparison as much as it was a JOKE! :sleep: