1984 Trinity vs. 2011 Trinity

theguru

I really didn't want to start another Trinity thread but this came up in the X thread. This isn't a thread to bash in, just a place to debate. From the other thread:

I will be pleasantly surprised if X plays T within 3 TD's. X is X, minus any semblance of a stud running back or menacing offensive line. Trinity is just off the charts good. Not since the 84 team that featured the Gardner brothers, Andy Murray and Mike Pfeiffer have they had this much talent.

Yeah, let's not compare this team to that one...

Why not?:jump: I would argue this Trinity team is better for two reasons: 1. James Quick and 2. Daylen Dawkins

That 84-85 Rock squad was very big, very strong, and very mean. But, as XTiger so aptly pointed out X was able to knock off the Rocks in the playoffs (20-0 I think....) largely because the X defense was able to get stops and force turnovers. That Trinity squad did not have a D1 caliber running back (no offense to Mr. Greg Lawson) or a D1 caliber receiver (no offense to Mr. George Frederick).

In 1984: T won the regular season game 12-7. X won the play-off game 20-0.

There were very good players from both teams (X and T). T stand-outs were The Gardner Brothers, Andy Murray, Danny Shaw, George Frederick, David Iglehart, Greg Lawson, Bubba Crane and I know there are several more but just not coming to mind at the moment.

I just don't recall so much hoopla from back in the day. Today you seem to hear so much more about the kids. I assume that to be because of the media, BGP, blogs, social media, etc..

I do believe the 2011 T team wins out in the "D1 caliber."

Tony pretty much summed it up....barring injury (please no)....or something else unforeseen, this year's Trinity team has the potential to be our best yet. Some of that is lent to the fact that KY football, as a whole, doesn't appear to be what it once was. A lot of it, is a perfect storm of system = talent. See the 1994 team. They won state, but lost four games. I am inclined to believe that had the current system been in place, they could've made some noise.

In 1984: T won the regular season game 12-7. X won the play-off game 20-0.

There were very good players from both teams (X and T). T stand-outs were The Gardner Brothers, Andy Murray, Danny Shaw, George Frederick, David Iglehart, Greg Lawson, Bubba Crane and I know there are several more but just not coming to mind at the moment.

I just don't recall so much hoopla from back in the day. Today you seem to hear so much more about the kids. I assume that to be because of the media, BGP, blogs, social media, etc..

I do believe the 2011 T team wins out in the "D1 caliber."

Oh, my gosh! I can vividly remember one outstanding St. X. player in that 20-0 1984 Playoff win over the Rocks. It's all coming back to me! :lol: :D :lol:

Tony pretty much summed it up....barring injury (please no)....or something else unforeseen, this year's Trinity team has the potential to be our best yet. Some of that is lent to the fact that KY football, as a whole, doesn't appear to be what it once was. A lot of it, is a perfect storm of system = talent. See the 1994 team. They won state, but lost four games. I am inclined to believe that had the current system been in place, they could've made some noise.

The only similarity between the two is that both had multiple D-1 athletes on the field. This years team has the potential to go down as the best Rock squad to date. I've closely followed Trinity football since the mid '70's & I'm not sure the '84 squad would even crack our top 10...

The only similarity between the two is that both had multiple D-1 athletes on the field. This years team has the potential to go down as the best Rock squad to date. I've closely followed Trinity football since the mid '70's & I'm not sure the '84 squad would even crack our top 10...

I would agree. I have also followed Trinity since the end of the 70's early 80's. The 84 squad had some very good players (like many other Trinity teams over the years) but many understand that Trinity teams of recent and today are unlike most teams in its 50 plus years history.

Oh, my gosh! I can vividly remember one outstanding St. X. player in that 20-0 1984 Playoff win over the Rocks. It's all coming back to me! :lol: :D :lol:

I think that guy and I went to different high schools together! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Why the 1984 Trinity team?

I think the 2002 team (I may not have the year right--I'm talking about the team that beat Male somewthing like 45-16 in the final at the Fairgrounds) may the Shamrocks' best of all time.

Why the 1984 Trinity team?

I think the 2002 team (I may not have the year right--I'm talking about the team that beat Male somewthing like 45-16 in the final at the Fairgrounds) may the Shamrocks' best of all time.

I agree that 2002 is the leader in the clubhouse, so to speak. But if things go as expected this year I think this team will surpass them. I assume 1984 was brought up because that's the only other time I can remember when the Rocks had multiple D-1 prospects. 1984 had a lot of individual talent but for whatever reason never seemed to come together as a team, as evidenced by their unceremonious exit from the playoffs by a much more inspired group of xaverians...

I would agree the 2002 team had the better offense. The 84 team I think had the better defense. With Carwell and Donnie Gardner on the line....Murray and Larch at LB...Shaw S...running the football was a near impossible task. There was only so many of those guys that you could double team, which then left head hunters like Bibb and Morris to come free. Not exactly a fun good natured group of guys to try and block move the football against.