Turntable Collection

Adopted Admiral you bring up something I've thought about for awhile.

I think the invention of the CD's brought along the death of an era.

I remember the day when next to a car a person's big purchase where he put the most time and thought into was his stereo system.

I remember when I was in High School and working, I saved all my money I could for one goal and that was to purchase the best stereo system I could afford. Had all the components, reciever, amplifier, cd deck, equalizer, turntable all seperate components and was awesome.

Ever since the cd's came onto the scene those old stereo systems slowly went to the wayside. Just not the same anymore. I still have my collection of vinyl which includes over 20 original Beatles Albums.

Miss those days, I love the scratchy sound as the needle hits the vinyl.

Actually the cassette tape was the first opponent for the vinyl LP.Cds started out slow in the late 80s and early 90s because Cds and Cd players were so expensive...

From about 1987 until around 1992 the cassette tape dominated the way people purchased their music.This is also when the vinyl LP began its decline.

After 1992 places like Walmart started selling cds and cd players at cheaper prices making it the number one way that people were listening to their music.

During the late 80s thru the mid 2000s vinyl records were still being pressed at limited quantities,making those albums harder to get and there value to sky rocket!

Those old stereo systems that you mentioned are also making a huge come back.Seven years ago I purchased a Sansui Sr 929 turntable for $125,its list price in 1978 was $1200.

2013 those same turntables are fetching $500+ prices depending on condition.I wouldn't take any less than $800 for mine.A few years ago I picked up a Marantz 1060 amp for $20,these same amps are selling in the $200 range...

Sorry HB,but I have to disagree with you about missing the scratchy sound as the needle hits the vinyl.:no:

I hated that sound back in the day and I still hate it today...:arghh:I actually think that most people don't miss that scratchy sound,they just miss that time period...

That scratchy sound and imperfectness is what caused most of us to jump from vinyl to the cassette tape and later to the Cd.

Like the majority of people back in the 1970s I couldn't afford mid or high end stereo systems so we played our records on low end groove grinder record players.Thus causing groove damage to the vinyl.Remember when the stylus would get worn out and taping a coin to the headshell?

When I got back into vinyl about eight years ago I must admit it was for nostalgic reasons,but after finding some mid to hi fi stereo equipment and some good undamaged vinyl I can now appreciate the true amazing sound of vinyl.I am also very particular about proper turntable setup,such as balancing the tonearm to get the correct stylus pressure.I even use a small digital scale to try and get the perfect sound.

HB let me know if your ever in Danville so I can invite you over to hear some music on vinyl like you never heard before...:thumb:

BTW...While vinyl is making a big comeback and with digital downloads its now the CD that is dying in this era...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
I love the old vinyl and turntables so much that the wife and I are getting the boys girlfriend a record player for Christmas and our son got her a couple records (Bob Marley) her favorite.

Something she'll never expect.

I would search craigslist and get a vintage table.Most of the new ones aren't very good.

I would search craigslist and get a vintage table.Most of the new ones aren't very good.

Well because it's something we aren't sure how she will like it or not we got one that she can use that has a place to plug her iPhone into and can record the albums right from the turntable to her iPhone, but will give her an idea of what turntables are like. I think she'll love it, thought it was a great idea that she would never guess.

Its also one that is portable so she can take with her when she heads off to college or even on vacation etc.

Well because it's something we aren't sure how she will like it or not we got one that she can use that has a place to plug her iPhone into and can record the albums right from the turntable to her iPhone, but will give her an idea of what turntables are like. I think she'll love it, thought it was a great idea that she would never guess.

Its also one that is portable so she can take with her when she heads off to college or even on vacation etc.

Gotcha...:thumb:

That is way to cool of you and your wife...Yea,She is going to love it.:thumb:

• 1 year later...

I'm currently sitting in on a conference call waiting for any discussion that involves me or my work. Got on Craigslist out of boredom and came across this sucker.

Mitsubishi SX-10.jpg

The Mitsubishi Interplay SX-10, cassette and upright turntable. Apparently went on the market in 1981. Pretty cool...but not $650 worth of cool to me.

RARE MGA-MITSUBISHI SX-10 UPRIGHT TURNTABLE W/SPEAKERS - $650

I'm currently sitting in on a conference call waiting for any discussion that involves me or my work. Got on Craigslist out of boredom and came across this sucker.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48822[/ATTACH]

The Mitsubishi Interplay SX-10, cassette and upright turntable. Apparently went on the market in 1981. Pretty cool...but not $650 worth of cool to me.

RARE MGA-MITSUBISHI SX-10 UPRIGHT TURNTABLE W/SPEAKERS - $650

Dudes also got it on ebay. I'll keep an eye on it. The problem with this is getting it repaired if and when it breaks down...