Turntable Collection

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any reason(s) in particular that you'd give preference to the Sanyo over the Technics?

Here is a link about the Technics Turntable...http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=289493

Here is a link about the Sanyo Turntable...http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=305413

The Technics is a Linear Turntable.I believe they kind of work like a Cd player.Push the number and it will find the track.

Most of the linear tts were made in the 1980s.I prefer pre-80s made turntables,less plastic used in making them.

I'm sure the Technics is nice but if any problems arise I think getting it repaired will be much more difficult than repairing the Sanyo.

Personally I like the vintage wood base turntables.They are a lot heavier made than the 1980s plastic built turntables and imo they sound much better.

I believe the technics has P-mount cartridge which plugs into the end of the tonearm.Those kind of cartridges are harder to find than a regular cartridge.

The Sanyo uses a standard cartridge that is mounted under the headshell.

So the main reason I like the Sanyo over the Techinics.

It's older than the technics,heavier,it looks like it has a nice tonearm and I have heard they sound great.

I would just be scared that the technics might be quirky since it is over 30 years old.I know the Sanyo is older but it was made more simpler than the technics.

If that sanyo looks anything like the pics in the link I posted I would be on it,especially for $50...

Make sure if you decide to get either one plug it up and try it our before you buy it.

He said the belt was bad on the Sanyo.You can still fire it up to see if the motor is running...

I hope this helps...

Edited by ADopted ADmiral

The first turntable I have pictured in this thread the sansui 929,about three years ago I paid $125 for it.

Here is one that just ended on ebay...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SANSUI-SR-929-Analog-Record-Player-Turntable-w-Dust-Cover-Audio-Techica-/190609554751?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4850212043704346857&autorefresh=true

• 1 month later...

Still haven't picked up an official second turntable for the basement stereo...although I did end up with a second turntable in the meantime. I came by 30 or so 78's in very nice shape from a co-worker who's father-in-law died recently. He knew I collect vinyl and he figured I'd appreciate them, so they came free. Nothing to fantastic as far as songs go, but I was still happy to get them. Anyway, I picked up this RCA Victor phonograph from a fella on craigslist about a week back. I've got the unit being cleaned and the needle/cartridge being replaced at a local stereo shop that specializes in vintage stuff like this.

RCA 65U 2.jpg

Still haven't picked up an official second turntable for the basement stereo...although I did end up with a second turntable in the meantime. I came by 30 or so 78's in very nice shape from a co-worker who's father-in-law died recently. He knew I collect vinyl and he figured I'd appreciate them, so they came free. Nothing to fantastic as far as songs go, but I was still happy to get them. Anyway, I picked up this RCA Victor phonograph from a fella on craigslist about a week back. I've got the unit being cleaned and the needle/cartridge being replaced at a local stereo shop that specializes in vintage stuff like this.

That's awesome dude.I bet when the tech gets it tuned up I bet it will sound sweet.

Try to find out the name and model number of that tube amp that is on the floor to the right of your turntable.

[ATTACH]35701[/ATTACH]

That's awesome dude.I bet when the tech gets it tuned up I bet it will sound sweet.

Try to find out the name and model number of that tube amp that is on the floor to the right of your turntable.

• 2 weeks later...

The tube amp was gone when I went back to pick up the turntable. My turntable sounds dag-gone fantastic though. In the meantime, I picked up an old Columbia Phonograph though, haha. I just had a random run-in with the seller at Shake-It records when I was telling a couple of the folks there about the RCA radio/turntable. She said she had inherited "an old family piece" and a stack of records to go along with it, and if I'd be interested in looking at buying it, she lived in the neighborhood. A 4-block drive, a short haggle, and 150 bucks later, I've got this:

Columbia Victrola8.jpg

(I found some pictures of the same model in the internet...haven't photographed mine yet.)

It's a Columbia Viva-tonal Model 710/711 Talking Machine. It's all original, and it works like a charm. Loud as all get-out too. It's pretty interesting - the reproducer, which is the part that holds the needle on the tonearm, actually has it's own little horn-speaker in it, and then there's a man horn in the cabinet as well. When the cabinet front and the lid are both open, you can hear whatever is playing throughout my entire house. You can close either/both the lid and the front to "adjust the volume" as well.

Almost all of the records it came with were Polish-language records (the owners grandfather had bought the phonograph new in 1926, and he and his children were all Polish immigrants). I've got a couple of Billie Holiday 78's, as well as the stuff from my co-worker that I mentioned a couple weeks back. It sounds like you're stepping back into the prohibition when you get those cranking.