Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Turntable Collection

Featured Replies

Don't be fooled everyone Mr Schue has a nice little TT collection himself...:notworthy:
You know...that's not really a sentence you want to read out loud. :sssh:
  • Replies 70
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just picked this up yesterday off of Craigslist (the one pictured isn't mine, but mine is just like it). Guy was asking $50 and I talked him down to $30. Not a bad deal since I was just looking for a turntable to play my 78's on. It's a Garrard Synchro-Lab 72B. Started production in 1969, and originally listed for $89.50. The tonearm has a gyroscopic movement on the end to keep the cartridge floating nice and smoothly. Has a permanent magnetic movement in the motor that apparently is supposed to guarantee that the motor speed never goes off.

 

Garrard Synchro-Lab 72B.jpg

  • Author
Just picked this up yesterday off of Craigslist (the one pictured isn't mine, but mine is just like it). Guy was asking $50 and I talked him down to $30. Not a bad deal since I was just looking for a turntable to play my 78's on. It's a Garrard Synchro-Lab 72B. Started production in 1969, and originally listed for $89.50. The tonearm has a gyroscopic movement on the end to keep the cartridge floating nice and smoothly. Has a permanent magnetic movement in the motor that apparently is supposed to guarantee that the motor speed never goes off.

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36397[/ATTACH]

 

Nice score my friend...

I highly suggest reading the owners manual.I'm not sure if you know how to setup the tonearm but it shows you how in the manual.Tonearm setup is crucial to the life of your stylus and records...

Here is a free download of the manual.You just have to sign up for a free account.

Garrard SL 72B Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

 

I hope you can post some more pics....

Nice score my friend...

I highly suggest reading the owners manual.I'm not sure if you know how to setup the tonearm but it shows you how in the manual.Tonearm setup is crucial to the life of your stylus and records...

Here is a free download of the manual.You just have to sign up for a free account.

Garrard SL 72B Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

 

I hope you can post some more pics....

 

Just downloaded it on my lunch break today. Thanks fro the heads up though :thumb: I suppose I'll have a little sit down with the turntable, the owners manual, and a cold brew tonight before I spin anything.

  • Author

I can't go on vacation without bringing a turntable along...:ohbrother:

Condo.jpg

  • Author
Just picked this up yesterday off of Craigslist (the one pictured isn't mine, but mine is just like it). Guy was asking $50 and I talked him down to $30. Not a bad deal since I was just looking for a turntable to play my 78's on. It's a Garrard Synchro-Lab 72B. Started production in 1969, and originally listed for $89.50. The tonearm has a gyroscopic movement on the end to keep the cartridge floating nice and smoothly. Has a permanent magnetic movement in the motor that apparently is supposed to guarantee that the motor speed never goes off.

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36397[/ATTACH]

 

How are you liking your new turntable?

Here is a tip for you.Buy a box of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads.

Cut the pad into cubes,Let the stylus down on the cube then raise it back up.It does a great job cleaning your stylus.

Magic Eraser Skeptic No Longer - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

I figured I'd be clicking on this to find out you ran across some item at a local flea market down there for a couple Jacksons that you'd be able to flip for Franklins on eBay. Luckiest man I know, and needs to come to the track with me very soon ... :D

With a bit of phone consultation from Adopted Admiral, I popped on a Marantz 6150 direct drive turntable with a 681EEE cartridge (he knows what this stuff means) for $12.50 at the local Goodwill today. Not a particularly high-end machine from what I understand but plenty good enough for the occasional listener like me.

 

A question for you tt geeks. Does the serial number 0081768 mean that this was made on August 17, 1968, or is it not related to date of manufacture?

  • Author
With a bit of phone consultation from Adopted Admiral, I popped on a Marantz 6150 direct drive turntable with a 681EEE cartridge (he knows what this stuff means) for $12.50 at the local Goodwill today. Not a particularly high-end machine from what I understand but plenty good enough for the occasional listener like me.

 

A question for you tt geeks. Does the serial number 0081768 mean that this was made on August 17, 1968, or is it not related to date of manufacture?

 

I don't think there is a Marantz serial number data base that's available online.

I'm almost positive that your turntable was not made in 1968.

From looking at the serial number it could have been made in 1981 or 1976.

In my opinion it was made in 1976 and possibly on August 1.

 

Here is a listing on ebay for the same table.The seller made a mistake by listing the wrong model number.

VINTAGE MARANTZ 1650 TURNTABLE | eBay

Shake It has always kept maybe two or three new turntables on their shelves for interested buyers, but now they're getting into the used turntable market. Said they plan to keep as many as 5 or 6 used tt's on the shelf now (depending on availability), in addition to the new one's they've always carried. They were down to only 2 used tt's yesterday following Christmas, but they had this Technics SL-D205. Looked tempting.

 

Technics SL-D205.jpg

  • Author
Shake It has always kept maybe two or three new turntables on their shelves for interested buyers, but now they're getting into the used turntable market. Said they plan to keep as many as 5 or 6 used tt's on the shelf now (depending on availability), in addition to the new one's they've always carried. They were down to only 2 used tt's yesterday following Christmas, but they had this Technics SL-D205. Looked tempting.

 

This looks like a good deal...

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/3522523511.html

 

 

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-t22.shtml

I missed the old turntable and stereo systems so 3 years ago I went out and bought one of those turntables that you can record your vinyl's to cd's just so I could have a turntable again.

 

When I broke out my old albums my kids were hooked, they listened to all my records for a couple weeks straight lol. I don't have a huge record collection but do have around 70 + records. I love 50-70's and have every Beatles original album. Love the Beatles

Adopted Admiral you bring up something I've thought about for awhile.

 

I think the invention of the CD's brought along the death of an era.

I remember the day when next to a car a person's big purchase where he put the most time and thought into was his stereo system.

 

I remember when I was in High School and working, I saved all my money I could for one goal and that was to purchase the best stereo system I could afford. Had all the components, reciever, amplifier, cd deck, equalizer, turntable all seperate components and was awesome.

 

Ever since the cd's came onto the scene those old stereo systems slowly went to the wayside. Just not the same anymore. I still have my collection of vinyl which includes over 20 original Beatles Albums.

 

Miss those days, I love the scratchy sound as the needle hits the vinyl.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.