Camels pitcher David Jenkins, NKY.com

dd734

Campbell County pitcher David Jenkins has faced so much adversity in his personal life that Camels baseball coach Scott Schweitzer knew he had the right guy on the mound to start Wednesday's pressure-packed 10th Region tournament semifinal against George Rogers Clark.

"He can handle anything," Schweitzer said of the gutsy right-hander.

When George Rogers Clark rallied for a 6-5 victory by getting five runs off Jenkins in the fifth and sixth, following four shutout innings by the senior, Jenkins took it hard. But it was not the end of the world.

"It's the end of the line for baseball, and that's it," he said. "I'd go on and play more, but God has other plans."

Jenkins during his sophomore year was diagnosed with facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy, a genetic disease that initially affects the skeletal muscles of the face and upper arms and shoulders. Jenkins no longer will be able to play organized baseball.

"This is my last game," Jenkins said. "Whenever I overwork a muscle, it doesn't rebuild and sometimes I get tired. That's what happened today. I got tired late in the game."

In an unrelated procedure, Jenkins underwent elbow ligament replacement surgery (Tommy John) on May 6 of last year. He could not pick up a baseball for five months and did not complete his post-surgery throwing program until shortly before the beginning of this season. He was limited to one- or two-inning relief appearances the first month.

Through it all, Jenkins was able to post a team-low 1.25 ERA. He sailed through the first four innings of Wednesday's contest.

"David's unbelievable," said Camels catcher Michael Kremer, who had two putouts at the plate against GRC on back-to-back seventh-inning plays, one on a throw from right field and another from second base. "It's just too bad we couldn't win for him."

Here's a big ATTA BOY to you David! :thumb:

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110601/SPT0302/106020340/Campbell-pitcher-shows-guts-loss?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Congratulations to David Jenkins, on his accomplishments and his attitude. He has every right to be a bitter person, but obviously has a grasp on the big picture of his life.

Thanks also to NKY.com and dd734 for sharing it with us!!!