Ryle 13 Beechwood 2

Ryle hammered Beechwood yesterday 13-2 in 5 innings on "Senior Day" for Ryle. Wasn't able to attend the game, but am told Ryle simply crushed the ball. Multiple hit game for Hempel, Lonkard, Mason, Clarkson, Long, and Steinle from Ryle. Ryle finished regular season 22-9 and playing some very solid ball heading into district tournament play.

I was at the game. It was a great game. We were able to stream it live, the annoucner did a great job, so we were told. Had 17 viewers watching the game. I heard that if Ryle wins on Tuesday, they were going to try and stream the game on Wednesday (weather permitting).

Coach Roesel got the shaft from the home plate umpirer. He didn't curse, use profanity, throw anything etc. He questioned whether a pitch hit his player and requested that the homeplate umpirer ask the base umpirer for help. The umpirer said "Pat that is your first warning" ( I thought the umpirere were to show some respect by calling the coaches "Coach"). The Coach responded "You can warn me all you want, just call them right". For that he was tossed. The ejection really stems from a prior game that week where the same umpire had a terrible game calling balls and strikes (he knew he was terrible) I believe the ejection was a carry overcall because the situation Saturday did not merit an ejection.

Coach Roesel got the shaft from the home plate umpirer. He didn't curse, use profanity, throw anything etc. He questioned whether a pitch hit his player and requested that the homeplate umpirer ask the base umpirer for help. The umpirer said "Pat that is your first warning" ( I thought the umpirere were to show some respect by calling the coaches "Coach"). The Coach responded "You can warn me all you want, just call them right". For that he was tossed. The ejection really stems from a prior game that week where the same umpire had a terrible game calling balls and strikes (he knew he was terrible) I believe the ejection was a carry overcall because the situation Saturday did not merit an ejection.

From what I have been told, a coach at the discretion of the man in blue, can get more than just a one game suspension for being tossed.

I was at the game on Thursday and on Saturday. Chris Roth was behind the plate for both games. On Thursday a player from Bryant Station got hit by a pitch and made NO, NONE, NADA attempt to get out of the way. Rosel approached Roth (who threw Rosel out last year on the same call/ruling) as Roth tried to describe the action of the hitter, Roth emulated the hitter and it was not even close. Roth tried to say that the hitter leaned out to avoid the hit but the reaction from the crowd was obvious that he got it wrong. On Saturday a Beechwood player got hit by a SLOW curve and made NO, NADA, ZERO, ZILCH attempt to get out of the way and Rosel again approached Roth and questioned the call. After Hempel got hit, or so it appeared that he got hit and was NOT awarded first base, Rosel again questioned Roth who told him "Let's not pick this up again from Thursday night." Coach said no let's not and the next thing I knew Rosel was headed towards the exit. It was obvious to me as a spectator that Roth had very little patience on Thursday night and then again on Sunday. If the player makes no attempt to get out of the way, he should not be awarded the base, and what I saw on Saturday and Thursday was no attempt. As a spectator, I want to see consistency from an umpire and the only consistency was inconsistency.

The BW player was hit by a slow "spinner", it never broke like a curve. He stayed in the box waiting for it to break as a batter should. If he jumps out of the way and it breaks over the plate what is he suppose to do? I am not sure what was said in the early part of the conversation as the ump and Roesel came together as he asked if the pitch hit his foot. Roesel kept on and the ump told him this is your warning and then told him 2 more times that he had heard enough before throwing him out. The odd thing is, Hempel never even reacted as if the ball had hit him. From my angle I did not think it did and Hempels reaction would of been enough for me to say it did not. I guess you just need to pick your battles so to speak. I would think if Roesel had it to do over he would stick around for the game.

This is the worst game BW has played all year. They were walking in to a hornets nest anyway in my opinion. Ryle senior day, minimal pitching available after the starter and a lack luster effort in my opinion. Ryle pounded out most of the hits off BW second pitcher. I think the score was 5-2 when he came in. Ryle played with a lot more enthusiasm like I felt they would being senior day.

On the topic of the batter having to move-

Doesn't the box belong to the batter? If so, why does he have to make an attempt? BW had this called in their next game vs Calvary. The BW batter raised his arms to let a breaking pitch go under his arms and it hit his jersey on the way by. As he started to first the ump told him to stay there he was still hitting.

The BW player was hit by a slow "spinner", it never broke like a curve. He stayed in the box waiting for it to break as a batter should. If he jumps out of the way and it breaks over the plate what is he suppose to do? I am not sure what was said in the early part of the conversation as the ump and Roesel came together as he asked if the pitch hit his foot. Roesel kept on and the ump told him this is your warning and then told him 2 more times that he had heard enough before throwing him out. The odd thing is, Hempel never even reacted as if the ball had hit him. From my angle I did not think it did and Hempels reaction would of been enough for me to say it did not.

Sorry Coachg but Rosel NEVER got 2 more warnings. I was about 10 feet from home plate when the ump took his mask off and had to yell to Rosel who was still down the 3rd base line. "Pat, I'm not going to argue this with you, this is your first warning" Coach replied with "You can warm me all you want, just get the call right" and boom, that was is..PERIOD!

Hemple has been red hot at the plate lately and anyone who knows him knows he would rather hit that take a base on a ball he jumped out out of the way of. I don't know if it hit him or not. If it did, it glanced off his foot at most.

As for the hit batter, I'm no rule expert but would be very interested to know what the official rule is. Ryle's pitcher had already hit a couple batters in the game. BW batter didn't even make a step towards the pitcher. Heck, his "spinner" what ever that is, probably didn't even break 60mph.

I was standing directly behind home plate on the pitch that Roesel got thrown out on. I believe it was either the first or second pitch of the bottom of the first - as Hempel has batted leadoff the last two games. From what I recall, the right handed pitcher threw a short-hopper that appeared to hit the left-handed batter's foot on the way to the backstop. It certainly appeared to graze Hempel's foot. Did Hempel react as if he got hit - no, not at all. Did Roesel have a good case for questioning whether the ball hit Hempel - absolutely. Did Roesel do anything to deserve to be thrown out - no. Roesel was thrown out very quickly - he didn't even have a chance to put in a good argument. Did the umpire lose his cool and throw out the coach for who knows why - yes.

From what I have been told, a coach at the discretion of the man in blue, can get more than just a one game suspension for being tossed.

I believe KHSAA changed their policy this season and it is a mandatory 2-game suspension for all ejections. Not sure if there is an appeal process available or if Coach Roesel will pursue such an appeal if this avenue is available.

I was standing right behind the backstop and felt the call could have gone either way on the hit batsman. Hempel didn't react like he was hit so I thought it didn't catch him. I disagree with the Ryle posters above that Roesel shouldn't have been thrown out. He was warned and then said, "You can warn me all you want...." If this would have happened on a discussion between umpire and coach where the whole fan base wouldn't have heard, I'd agree that he shouldn't have been tossed; however, this argument was loud enough for all to hear and Roesel basically cut his .... off in front of the crowd, so I have to agree with the ejection. It's unfortunate that it happened right before districts but I think the burden lies on the coach to watch what he says and not the umpire. Bottom line, first pitch of first batter in the bottom of the first on a questionable hit batter and you get tossed I believe is coaches fault.

Also, was very disappointed to see the reaction of one Ryle fan. I believe it was Roesel's dad. He should have been tossed as well. He continued his bantering into the 2nd inning. Hats off to Chris Rolf for disregarding him.

Edited by Spartan79
spelling

On the topic of the batter having to move-

Doesn't the box belong to the batter? If so, why does he have to make an attempt? BW had this called in their next game vs Calvary. The BW batter raised his arms to let a breaking pitch go under his arms and it hit his jersey on the way by. As he started to first the ump told him to stay there he was still hitting.

The batter must make an effort to avoid the pitch. Why? You'd have to ask the baseball rules makers. If the batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by a pitch out of the strike zone, the pitch is called a ball (it is also a dead ball) and the batter does not get awarded first base. The batter also does not get first base in instances in which the pitch is in the strike zone and the batter moves in such a way so that he is struck by the pitch or fails to move to avoid the pitch (i.e., leaning over the plate). That would be a dead ball strike.

That being said, I was told by a 9th region umpire that to make this call more consistent this year, 9th region umpires are awarding first base to any batter that is in the batter's box when hit by a pitch, regardless whether they make an attempt to avoid the pitch. Not sure how they can unilaterally decide to change a rule of baseball like that, but that's what I was told.