Bowling Green 58 Walton-Verona 32

Watched (via the archive file) the first quarter and they were in the game but they seemed to be having a hard time with BG press and while I didn't have the time to watch the rest of the game tonight, my guess is that the BG press did them in!

Congrats young ladies of WV, while you didn't win, you indeed were there and were the first from your school to do so!

To quote a fine WV player she said-"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".

WV stayed in the game the first half but the third quarter left them with only one basket and it was tough from there on out.

Great season ladies and coaches. Best wishes to Kelli Dixon and her career at Thomas More. As for the rest of the ladies they will be back and

will be looking to represent the 8th region again! :)

Congratulations to Coach Miller, the players and the fans. You represented the 8th region well. Tough draw playing a talented Bowling Green team at "home". They bussed in all off their kids (elementary-HS) as a so called field trip. It made for quite an atmosphere for the opening game of the state.

Second largest first round crowd (6,800 +) to watch a girls S16 game

BG had a great student section and I was really surprise at how many fans Walton had there. Walton had a great season and shouldn't hang their heads about this game. It was great they had the chance to experience such a wonderful event. It is always sad when seniors play their last game. Kelli Dixon will be missed there is no doubt, but the program seems to be heading in the right direction. Today - even though the score was not what I had hope for I was proud of each and every girl. Good luck to Bowling Green!

Watched (via the archive file) the first quarter and they were in the game but they seemed to be having a hard time with BG press and while I didn't have the time to watch the rest of the game tonight, my guess is that the BG press did them in!

Congrats young ladies of WV, while you didn't win, you indeed were there and were the first from your school to do so!

Your guess would be correct. Heard someone say at halftime that Walton had 13 TO, which lead to 16 of BG's 25 points. Can't imagine the second half was much better. WV had a hard time getting it to the post to Dixon or Sandlin, even when they broke the press. The one thing that I wished they could/would have done was to make BG pay for the press, when they did break it. Seemed like many times Dixon or Sandlin would get the ball just shy of mid-court, and rather than pivoting and perhaps making it a 3 on 2 situation, they were content to just reverse it back.

And without hijacking the thread on the officiating...the one thing that I noticed was the fact that the thinking of "letting the players decide it" can really turn out to favor one team over another...even if it's called the same on both teams. BG was obviously a more physical/athletic team, and their guards "out-muscled" WV's on many occasions. I've watched enough games in the 8th region to know that BG would have put WV in the double-bonus in the first half, rather than just the two or three fouls that were whistled. Once it became obvious that there was little chance of a foul being called, that turned BG's pressure up even another notch. On several occasions, Walton's guards fell to the floor due to the contact. I will say that I thought the officiating was fairly consistent...it's just that the style of play that it enabled favored BG much more so than Walton.

To the girls, I say job well done for the season you've had. And even though it didn't end the way you would have liked to, remember you were one of only 16 teams in the entire state to be there this week. Nothing to hang your heads about.

And finally, to Ms. Dixon, it has been a pleasure to watch you play over the past several years, and I know that your influence on the girls program will continue to be felt over the next several years. You've set a benchmark for the younger players to achieve, and the program will benefit greatly from it. Good luck in whatever you decide to do after graduation!

Also congratulations to Coach Miller and the rest of the coaching staff for a fine year!