Elkus out at Dixie

I was informed from a very reliable neighbor, the coaches were not the problem. They did everything to build back the program. Some parents complained when the girls were pushed, some sat in the stand finding fault in others, but never their own. Let's not overlook the fact that due to injury, the point guard was out all season. Dixie played with a rookie senior guard, who did her best. They doubled their wins and won the DHIT, first time in over ten years. Getting younger players involved is part of the key, which was in place this year. My neighbor feels the coaches worked tirelessly these three years, and would be ready to reap the benefits next year. Many players were saddened by the news and felt it was unjustified.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its always sad to hear when a coach leaves a program for any reason by choice, or not by choice. However any ideas on who might be some candidates for this job?

The last time they hired, it had to be someone already in the Kenton County school district because of employee headcount. If that is still the case, perhaps the current girls fast-pitch head coach and assistant varsity boys basketball coach would be interested. Roddy Stainforth.

I was informed from a very reliable neighbor, the coaches were not the problem. They did everything to build back the program. Some parents complained when the girls were pushed, some sat in the stand finding fault in others, but never their own. Let's not overlook the fact that due to injury, the point guard was out all season. Dixie played with a rookie senior guard, who did her best. They doubled their wins and won the DHIT, first time in over ten years. Getting younger players involved is part of the key, which was in place this year. My neighbor feels the coaches worked tirelessly these three years, and would be ready to reap the benefits next year. Many players were saddened by the news and felt it was unjustified.

I don't believe that is entirely accurate. While it’s true that Dixie's point guard, M. Malone, was out all year due to a knee injury, and it's also true that there were a "few" parents who were not happy with the playing time their daughters received or did not receive, I believe the biggest problem with the program was that they did not get pushed hard enough. IMO, Dixie was poorly conditioned and it showed as the season progressed. By the time the 4th quarter rolled around in January and February, Dixie was spent! I also believe that the Assistant Varsity Coach, who I believe teaches at Turkeyfoot, didn’t have enough experience to warrant coaching at the varsity level. Before he arrived at Dixie, he struggled at the 7th and 8th grade levels. They also ran a basic offense and exhibited poor BB fundamentals.

You got to remember that those 7th and 8th grade teams were Roddy's first coaching experiences. He played under Donnie Mac at Dixie where they ran a basic offense. He's now been at Dixie for a few years coaching the JV squad and assisting at the varsity level. His knowledge of the game has grown quite a bit since his TF days. However, I don't foresee him wanting the girls job when he really wants Chevalier's job when he's gone.

Who cares if parents were happy? IS the ability to keep parents happy apart of a coach's job description? Whats wrong with running a basic offense? Dixie just doesn't have the horses right now, its as simple as that. Now a pretty good man has a black mark on his career resume. The parents will move on and the kids will go to college, but the coach will still have to look at that part of his career and hope it doesn't affect him.

Who cares if parents were happy? IS the ability to keep parents happy apart of a coach's job description? Whats wrong with running a basic offense? Dixie just doesn't have the horses right now, its as simple as that. Now a pretty good man has a black mark on his career resume. The parents will move on and the kids will go to college, but the coach will still have to look at that part of his career and hope it doesn't affect him.

What's wrong with running a "basic" offense? Well for this team it meant that they "basically" struggled to beat lesser quality opponents. As far as Coach Elkus having a "black mark" on his career, coaches get fired everyday. It's part of the coaching profession. He's a great person and teacher. I don't think he'll lose any sleep over his termination. He'll survive.

Years ago they were more competitive. They at least made regional appearances from 1999-2008. They made no regional appearances under Elkus from 2009-2011.

Not sure i know the history prior to 09 but were the expectation higher prior to this? What caused the change when he came in? Not given the guy much time to build.

What's wrong with running a "basic" offense? Well for this team it meant that they "basically" struggled to beat lesser quality opponents. As far as Coach Elkus having a "black mark" on his career, coaches get fired everyday. It's part of the coaching profession. He's a great person and teacher. I don't think he'll lose any sleep over his termination. He'll survive.

Basic offense? What is a basic offense? Offense is offense right. Execution is the key. I have no clue anything about this guy but I hate it when people state basic offense.

Not sure i know the history prior to 09 but were the expectation higher prior to this? What caused the change when he came in? Not given the guy much time to build.

3 years ago when he was brought in, he inherited 5 returning starters, (2 seniors, 2 juniors, 1 sophomore). They won their district and went to the regional tourney the year before.They proceeded to win half as many games and lose in the first round of the district tourney the next. He just never seemed to get any traction. I wished it would have went better for him, he is a very nice man. I do believe the school is making the right move as long as they put the effort into the new hire.

Yeah, interesting.....what about the Dixie volleyball team? THey have not won a district game for years. Again, talk around my neighborhood is that Dixie needs to take a closer look at that program. That is the sport that the AD needs to investigate. Totally unacceptable........problem is , admin and AD are not involved enough to know. Seems like basketball sure got the shaft losing their coaches. I have been told that the girls are great girls.....just not stand out bb players.

Tough loss, Elkus is a very good man and I think a savvy basketball coach. I know he had some awesome years as the AD and basketball coach at SVMS. He had some injuries and young kids in the Dixie program. I wish they would gave him some more time. Kind of surprised Whillhoite would be so quick making this move in his 1st year as AD. Elkus has a lot of years in the Kenton County School District and this is Whillhoite’s 1st year in the district and he did not last long at Cooper. I am guessing he had the administration’s backing. Also is Elkus still the assistant AD? If so why did he not move into the head AD slot last year? Either way good luck to Dixie’s girls and Mr. Elkus.

Tough loss, Elkus is a very good man and I think a savvy basketball coach. I know he had some awesome years as the AD and basketball coach at SVMS. He had some injuries and young kids in the Dixie program. I wish they would gave him some more time. Kind of surprised Whillhoite would be so quick making this move in his 1st year as AD..

My guess it was the principal who made this decision. Most high school ADs in this area do not make the call as far as I know.

You got to remember that those 7th and 8th grade teams were Roddy's first coaching experiences. He played under Donnie Mac at Dixie where they ran a basic offense. He's now been at Dixie for a few years coaching the JV squad and assisting at the varsity level. His knowledge of the game has grown quite a bit since his TF days. However, I don't foresee him wanting the girls job when he really wants Chevalier's job when he's gone.

Is chevy looking to leave soon?