Reds Season Tickets

^ What is the difference if I go to 15 games or buy a 15 game package?

Because season tickets are guaranteed sales for the Reds. They had roughly 10,000 season tickets last year, IIRC. That leaves roughly 30K to sell for each game on an individual basis. It's hard to budget and predict sales when variable sales are 75% of your ticket revenue.

If they can get their season tickets to jump up to 20,000 (not realistic in one year, I know), it eliminates a lot of headache about what they need to still sell.

Also, say a couple of the Reds better players suffer fairly significant injuries or miss significant time. Maybe due to that they're really out of contention by the end of July. You still going to go to 15 games, if they're out of contention? Maybe you would, but most would likely not. That's lost revenue. If you have season tickets, it's guaranteed money they can use towards next year. There's way too many variables that can come into play that can severely hinder the number of individual game ticket sales they have. (weather, injury, economy, etc.,)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could buy season tickets, but at this point in my life I just can't afford too.

I went to 13 games last year though (only paid for about 4 of those games). I'm a big fan, but it is hard to shell out money right now to go, especially to buy 20 game packages.

The 20 game packages are dirt cheap. $202 for 20 games. Can't beat that deal.

Because season tickets are guaranteed sales for the Reds. They had roughly 10,000 season tickets last year, IIRC. That leaves roughly 30K to sell for each game on an individual basis. It's hard to budget and predict sales when variable sales are 75% of your ticket revenue.

If they can get their season tickets to jump up to 20,000 (not realistic in one year, I know), it eliminates a lot of headache about what they need to still sell.

Also, say a couple of the Reds better players suffer fairly significant injuries or miss significant time. Maybe due to that they're really out of contention by the end of July. You still going to go to 15 games, if they're out of contention? Maybe you would, but most would likely not. That's lost revenue. If you have season tickets, it's guaranteed money they can use towards next year. There's way too many variables that can come into play that can severely hinder the number of individual game ticket sales they have. (weather, injury, economy, etc.,)

It's all about the end of the year bottom line. So no matter how I but 20 games it will all add up. I understand what you are saying but I am going to go either way. :D

I think baseball season tickets are a harder sell just because there are so many games compared to say the NFL. NFL you get 8 games and its much easier for season ticket holders to attend every game and get their moneys worth. Plus since there are only 8 you get excited and pumped up for all of them. In baseball your buying tickets for 81 games and its a lot harder to make it to every game and you end up wasting money on those tickets or just giving them away pretty much. Its hard to get excited for every baseball game when you know theres 3 more in the next 3 days.

Im sure the 20 game ticket packs and the other ones they offer do very well, much easier to commit to those.

I think baseball season tickets are a harder sell just because there are so many games compared to say the NFL. NFL you get 8 games and its much easier for season ticket holders to attend every game and get their moneys worth. Plus since there are only 8 you get excited and pumped up for all of them. In baseball your buying tickets for 81 games and its a lot harder to make it to every game and you end up wasting money on those tickets or just giving them away pretty much. Its hard to get excited for every baseball game when you know theres 3 more in the next 3 days.

Im sure the 20 game ticket packs and the other ones they offer do very well, much easier to commit to those.

Agreed, It's not about the money it's just about the commitment to a set number of games on this date and that date. I just can't do that.

That actually sounds like a pretty good way of doing things. Maybe I'll mention that to folks.

Let me know how it goes. I proposed it to a group of friends and didn't get much response. I told probably 20 people, and only 1 other person was interested. I was a bit surprised. I don't think many of them were willing to spend the money, though.

I figured that between the investors ourselves & family & friends that we'd be able to account for most, if not all, of the games.

The majority of the people who have responded in here have said they aren't. Good enough answer for ya?

No, not really. It's a very small sample size and most of the responses suggested that, although they weren't going to buy a formal package, they would attend 20+ games.

11 people responded. 4 people answered yes. They're buying a 4 pack (if that counts), a 20 game pack, a weekend package, and the entire season tickets package.

Of the 7 who responded no, 1 was not even a Reds fan (formerkywrestler), and he'll go to 2-3. Of the remaining 6 members who said no, about 3 of them said that they plan on going to more games than last year, which was a double-digit number.

Then, there's this:

The Reds sold three times as many season-tickets at Select-A-Seat Saturday this year than they did last year. http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/02/03/reds-get-a-bump-at-select-a-seat-day/

And this, from January 27, 2010:

Castellini knows that you can’t turn around things instantly. Phil Castellini, Bob’s son the club COO, said season-ticket sales are up about 10 percet so far.

“It takes a year or two after you start winning,” Bob Castellini said. “Last year was our first year. We’re on target. We feel like we know what to expect. We’re going to have good season this year all around — with ticket sales and on the field.”

Ticket sales have increased and will continue to do so if this team wins. As Castellini said, it takes a few years before you get the full effect. I think everything is pointing in the right direction, although ticket sales will have to continue to increase if we're going to keep these guys in town.

The increase thus far is a little bit better than I expected. Making a 20 game commitment is a BIG commitment (in terms of both money & time), especially when many think that they can pick random nights and buy $5 or $7 tickets.