Question about the 1994 CovCath team

jbwill2

^ Thanks! The reason I am asking is to try to determine who was "NKAC champion" that year. At the end of the regular season, the Enquirer publishes the final NKY coaches poll. Any idea who finished the 1994 regular season ranked number one in NKY in this coaches poll? Of note, this poll does not extend into the playoffs, so only the regular season is taken into consideration.

Also, gchs_uk9, does your information list the finishing order for CCH/HHS' district that year?

Boone Co. w/ Shaun Alexander

Yes they would have been the Division II champions. Boone is in Division I and beechwood Division III. Division II would have been NCC Newport Highlands Scott. The other Division II schools did not have football at the time or do not have it at all (St. Henry Brossart). Do not confuse football class with NKAC Divisions.

What was the final record of the 1994 CovCath team? I remember that they beat Highlands pretty badly during the regular season and then beat Highlands by a very slim margin in the playoffs on their way to the AAA state title. Did CCH lose any games against NKY teams that year?

I "think" and I may be wrong .... but they may have lost to Conner during the regular season that year?

They were 11-4...the state rings actually say "6-4 to 11-4" on the side. I know 3 of the losses were Boone (with Shaun Alexander), Moeller, and New Cath. I think you may be right about Conner being the other. I know it wasn't Scott or Simon Kenton.

If I remember correctly, Cov Cath beat Montgomery County in the playoffs that year, and the M.C. had some really cool "march" formation that they did when then came off and on the field before/after the game and at the half.

They were 11-4...the state rings actually say "6-4 to 11-4" on the side. I know 3 of the losses were Boone (with Shaun Alexander), Moeller, and New Cath. I think you may be right about Conner being the other. I know it wasn't Scott or Simon Kenton.

If I remember correctly, Cov Cath beat Montgomery County in the playoffs that year, and the M.C. had some really cool "march" formation that they did when then came off and on the field before/after the game and at the half.

That year CCH lost 3 of their first 4. The teams they lost to were Boone, Moeller, Beechwood, and Conner. The team they beat of the first four was Newport. After the Conner loss, they didn't lose the rest of the season. The Boone loss was a blowout, the Moeller and Conner losses were close, and the Beechwood loss wasn't that close. That team came together after the Conner loss and became pretty good down the stretch when it counted

That year CCH lost 3 of their first 4. The teams they lost to were Boone, Moeller, Beechwood, and Conner. The team they beat of the first four was Newport. After the Conner loss, they didn't lose the rest of the season. The Boone loss was a blowout, the Moeller and Conner losses were close, and the Beechwood loss wasn't that close. That team came together after the Conner loss and became pretty good down the stretch when it counted

That's right, it was Beechwood, not New Cath. I forgot about that one.

Yes they would have been the Division II champions. Boone is in Division I and beechwood Division III. Division II would have been NCC Newport Highlands Scott. The other Division II schools did not have football at the time or do not have it at all (St. Henry Brossart). Do not confuse football class with NKAC Divisions.

So, is there a "champion" of each Division in the NKAC? I thought the NKY team that the NKY football coaches voted number one at the end of the season was dubbed NKAC champion? Who crowns the NKAC champion?

Ok in every sport there is an NKAC champion in each division. For football it is not as clear cut because you do not play everybody in your division like you do in all other sports. So yes if you look in schools hallways and see the picture plaques those are NKAC championships. So in volleyball, football, basketball, softball, baseball, etc you have three NKAC championships based on regular season performance. Again football is an oddity due to not scheduling everybody in your division. Oh and I also left Lloyd out of the Div II.

In track, golf, cross country, swimming, and I believe tennis you have a conference meet to determine conference championships.

here is the breakdown to the best of my knowledge

Div I

Boone

Campbell

Conner

Cooper

Dixie

Holmes

Scott

Div II

Brossart, CovCath, Notre Dame, Highlands, Holy Cross, NCC, Newport, Lloyd, St. Henry

DIV III

Beechwood, Bellevue, Calvary, dayton, Heritage, Ludlow, Silver Grove

All of this is correct except the Beechwood game was close. Beechwood put the game away with a couple minutes and won something like 19-10.

here is the breakdown to the best of my knowledge

Div I

Boone

Campbell

Conner

Cooper

Dixie

Holmes

Scott

Div II

Brossart, CovCath, Notre Dame, Highlands, Holy Cross, NCC, Newport, Lloyd, St. Henry

DIV III

Beechwood, Bellevue, Calvary, dayton, Heritage, Ludlow, Silver Grove

I have been looking for this information on the web and came across an Enquirer page from 2006. It has the following listing for football:

NKAC:

Division I:

Ryle, Boone County, Campbell County, Dixie Heights, Simon Kenton, Covington Catholic, Holmes, Conner, Scott

Division II:

Highlands, Holy Cross, NCC, Newport, Lloyd

Division III:

Beechwoood, Dayton, Ludlow, Bellevue

I suppose some new teams have been added (like Cooper, Walton-Verona and Bishop Brossart), but is this basically the right listing? According to this source, CovCath in Division I and Highlands is Division II.