Question about the 1994 CovCath team

jbwill2

What was the final record of the 1994 CovCath team? I remember that they beat Highlands pretty badly during the regular season and then beat Highlands by a very slim margin in the playoffs on their way to the AAA state title. Did CCH lose any games against NKY teams that year?

My information says they were 6-4 in the regular season before winning it all, which would have finished them with an 11-4 final record. They were 6-1 in district play and from the looks of the district standings they must have lost to either Scott or Simon Kenton, which seems odd and would have been a big upset.

^ Thanks! The reason I am asking is to try to determine who was "NKAC champion" that year. At the end of the regular season, the Enquirer publishes the final NKY coaches poll. Any idea who finished the 1994 regular season ranked number one in NKY in this coaches poll? Of note, this poll does not extend into the playoffs, so only the regular season is taken into consideration.

Also, gchs_uk9, does your information list the finishing order for CCH/HHS' district that year?

Conner did have a good team that year, if I remember correctly.

Correct. At one time they were ranked #1 in the State (I think that was after they beat Cov Cath in the regular season).

Highlands beat them at Conner In OT (more than a little controversy at the end of that game!)

They ended up being the 3rd seed (due to unexpected loss to Dixie) and got beat unset in the first round against a Paul Rain's led Montgomery County team.

Also, gchs_uk9, does your information list the finishing order for CCH/HHS' district that year?

Here are the district standings from 1994. District record first, overall record second:

REGION III, DISTRICT 1

1. Covington Catholic (6-1, 6-4)

2. Highlands (5-2, 7-3)

3. Holmes (4-3, 5-5)

4. Dixie Heights (3-4, 5-5)

5. Scott (2-5, 3-7)

6. Simon Kenton (2-5, 3-7)

7. Newport (0-7, 0-10)

According to the information I have, this is how Highlands' 1994 season went:

1994 Season: 9-3

HHS 26 Paducah Tilghman 6 W

HHS 15 Moeller, Ohio 54 L

HHS 35 Covington Holmes 25 W

HHS 40 Scott 6 W

HHS 28 Conner 27 W

HHS 6 Covington Catholic 42 L

HHS 7 Dixie Heights 6 W

HHS 33 Newport 0 W

HHS 42 Simon Kenton 26 W

HHS 47 Greenup County 19 W

HHS 28 Harrison County 21 W

HHS 3 Covington Catholic 7 L

It appears that I am missing one regular season game, which must have been a loss in order for gchs_uk9's information to be accurate. Any idea about who the extra game was against?

Also, I did not think the 1994 Highlands-Conner game went into overtime... I thought HHS won it at the end of regulation.

What was the final record of the 1994 CovCath team? I remember that they beat Highlands pretty badly during the regular season and then beat Highlands by a very slim margin in the playoffs on their way to the AAA state title. Did CCH lose any games against NKY teams that year?

Slim margin was about 3 yards that separated the HHS ball carrier from the end zone that would of won that playoff game in Park Hills that year. It was slim that's for sure!!! The first game of the year was at HHS and was indeed a smack down. That was the last time a HHS Varsity football team has worn all blue at home.:sssh:

According to the information I have, this is how Highlands' 1994 season went:

1994 Season: 9-3

HHS 26 Paducah Tilghman 6 W

HHS 15 Moeller, Ohio 54 L

HHS 35 Covington Holmes 25 W

HHS 40 Scott 6 W

HHS 28 Conner 27 W

HHS 6 Covington Catholic 42 L

HHS 7 Dixie Heights 6 W

HHS 33 Newport 0 W

HHS 42 Simon Kenton 26 W

HHS 47 Greenup County 19 W

HHS 28 Harrison County 21 W

HHS 3 Covington Catholic 7 L

It appears that I am missing one regular season game, which must have been a loss in order for gchs_uk9's information to be accurate. Any idea about who the extra game was against?

Also, I did not think the 1994 Highlands-Conner game went into overtime... I thought HHS won it at the end of regulation.

Maybe Campbell Co....Not positive though!!!! Just a guess

This was also not a bad way for Dale Mueller to start his career at HHS.

Maybe Campbell Co....Not positive though!!!! Just a guess

This was also not a bad way for Dale Mueller to start his career at HHS.

No, I don't think it was Campbell County (Campbell County did have a very good team that year). It also wasn't Boone County either.

It seems that CCH was probably the NKAC champion that year. Plus, the CCH website claims this honor for that year.

No, I don't think it was Campbell County (Campbell County did have a very good team that year). It also wasn't Boone County either.

It seems that CCH was probably the NKAC champion that year. Plus, the CCH website claims this honor for that year.

Your right!!!! That Campbell team that year was the real deal but couldn't get it done against Boone I believe.....They were very talanted!!!

^ Thanks! The reason I am asking is to try to determine who was "NKAC champion" that year. At the end of the regular season, the Enquirer publishes the final NKY coaches poll. Any idea who finished the 1994 regular season ranked number one in NKY in this coaches poll? Of note, this poll does not extend into the playoffs, so only the regular season is taken into consideration.

CovCath's website has them as NKAC Champions in 1994.

http://www.covcath.org/uploaded/04_Athletics/Football/Team_History_2010.pdf

Boone County finished first in the coaches poll at the end of the regular season. Alexander's senior year and Boone went undefeated in the regular season, losing only in the state title game to Trinity.

You asked about Highlands other regular season loss during this season. It MAY have been against either St. X or Trinity in the Montgomery County rec bowl. I vaguely remember a Highlands loss to one of those schools around this time, but could very well have my seasons crossed. Hope this helps some.