Apples Blocks "Anti-Gay" Application on IPhone

Clyde

I have no problem with this decision. Apple runs a business, and should have the freedom to make this decision if they so choose. I'm not sure it was necessary, as I'm not sure why anyone would want a bigoted app such as an "anti-gay" app, but whatever.

You may want to read the Manhatten Declaration before you make a statement about it being bigoted.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some may be, but just because someone thinks marriage is meant to be between a man and a woman doesn't mean they have a problem with gays. I, for example, believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman but I have no problem with civil unions.

If you don't mind me asking, taking religious beliefs out of the equation (since this is a political issue, not a religious one), why do you feel that way?

You may want to read the Manhatten Declaration before you make a statement about it being bigoted.

I started reading it but was done after this paragraph...

Because the sanctity of human life, the dignity of marriage as a union of husband and wife, and the freedom of conscience and religion are foundational principles of justice and the common good, we are compelled by our Christian faith to speak and act in their defense. In this declaration we affirm: 1) the profound, inherent, and equal dignity of every human being as a creature fashioned in the very image of God, possessing inherent rights of equal dignity and life; 2) marriage as a conjugal union of man and woman, ordained by God from the creation, and historically understood by believers and non-believers alike, to be the most basic institution in society and; 3) religious liberty, which is grounded in the character of God, the example of Christ, and the inherent freedom and dignity of human beings created in the divine image

#1 contradicts everything else said in that paragraph. How can you believe every human being possesses rights of equal dignity and life then say marriage should only be between a man and woman. Aren't you denying inherent rights to gays if you think they shouldn't be married?

If you don't mind me asking, taking religious beliefs out of the equation (since this is a political issue, not a religious one), why do you feel that way?
I see marriage as a religious union of a man and a women, so it's hard for me to take religion out of it. I also see marriage as a time-honored enduring social institution for a man and a woman to have and raise children. Same sex couples cannot have children, so I prefer they have civil unions instead.

#1 contradicts everything else said in that paragraph. How can you believe every human being possesses rights of equal dignity and life then say marriage should only be between a man and woman. Aren't you denying inherent rights to gays if you think they shouldn't be married?

Can they procreate? Since the answer is no, I get their meaning and agree.

One should have to be capable of procreation in order to marry? What about infertile heterosexuals?

I can't seem to find out what this app actually does. Anyone?

From a religious point of view, yes. At least, IMO. As I've said before in other threads, I feel marriage is a religious institution. Matrimony, the way I see it, is a religious institution because it is believed a sacrament instituted by Christ. The words "by the power invested in me by the state of Kentucky" for example, would never be heard in a Catholic wedding because as the church views it, the power is given by God, not the government. Granted, licenses and government documents are needed for legal reasons.

Also, it's a common belief that heterosexual marriage is the best structure for protecting the legitimate interests of children. Marriage attaches mothers and fathers to their children, and attaches mothers and fathers to one another. As a result, Man/Woman marriage was and still is every society’s preferred context for sexual activity and child-rearing.

I've often seen where infertile heterosexuals surprisingly had children.

What's wrong with a civil union? Why does it have to be marriage?

I have no clue what the app is supposed to do to be honest.

From a religious point of view, yes. At least, IMO. As I've said before in other threads, I feel marriage is a religious institution. Matrimony, the way I see it, is a religious institution because it is believed a sacrament instituted by Christ. The words "by the power invested in me by the state of Kentucky" for example, would never be heard in a Catholic wedding because as the church views it, the power is given by God, not the government. Granted, licenses and government documents are needed for legal reasons.

Also, it's a common belief that heterosexual marriage is the best structure for protecting the legitimate interests of children. Marriage attaches mothers and fathers to their children, and attaches mothers and fathers to one another. As a result, Man/Woman marriage was and still is every society’s preferred context for sexual activity and child-rearing.

I've often seen where infertile heterosexuals surprisingly had children.

What's wrong with a civil union? Why does it have to be marriage?

I have no clue what the app is supposed to do to be honest.

I think that a civil union is a viable option. I, too, think of marriage as a religious institution.

I'm really curious about this app. I'd like to know what it does before I make my mind up on whether or not I agree with it being blocked.

So you stopped after reading about 10%? That doesn't seem very open minded. You may want to complete it, it's a pretty good statement of their religious views.

I think that a civil union is a viable option. I, too, think of marriage as a religious institution.

I'm really curious about this app. I'd like to know what it does before I make my mind up on whether or not I agree with it being blocked.

I think it just contains the text of the Manhattan Declaration.

So you stopped after reading about 10%? That doesn't seem very open minded. You may want to complete it, it's a pretty good statement of their religious views.

I actually did read on. I dd read all of it because I got a call and didn't have a chance to go back to it. Actually what I did read was a pretty good message other then the stuff about gay marriage.

What I have never been able to understand is even if you don't agree with gay marriage why does it matter to you if two women or men get married? Does it have any effect on your life?

Absolutely none. Which is why I feel (just my opinion) that to be opposed to it is without question prejudice against homosexuals.

What I have never been able to understand is even if you don't agree with gay marriage why does it matter to you if two women or men get married? Does it have any effect on your life?
What effect does it have on your life if they have a civil union instead? What ill effect does it have on their life?

Absolutely none. Which is why I feel (just my opinion) that to be opposed to it is without question prejudice against homosexuals.
Then you either don't understand or choose to ignore that the vast majority that are against it view marriage as a religious union. It really has nothing to do with prejudice.