Scott County 95 Holmes 86 (Scrimmage)

Walter

Played in two halves with score reset at halftime.

Scott Co won first half 45-35. Holmes won second half 51-50.

Scoring by quarter:

Scott Co- 20-25-20-30- 95

Holmes- 18-17-27-24- 86

Holmes actually led by 3 in the 4th quarter for the entire game score (83-80) with 2 mins to play but Scott Co made a couple three's in a row to close the game out.

Holmes looked very impressive considering the size advantage that Scott Co had and they were down as many as 14 in the first half.

Holmes: Hayes 30, D. Rice 17, Palmer 12, Gray 12, Knox 9, Peterson 4, Mayfield 2.

Scott Co: Manning 26, Ivey 17, Relford 15, Shotwell 14, J. Harris 10, Richardson 7, K. Harris 6.

BTW, I'll be the first to say it....Chris Hayes is going to be the best guard in nky this year. He had 26 against Walton and 30 against Scott Co with Manning defending him much of the game. Nobody for Scott Co could stop him and Manning was even moved to another defender because Hayes was too quick and athletic for him.

Sophomore Quan Palmer also showed up in a big way for Holmes with 12 points. Kid is going to be a player.

I think Holmes is going to be better than a lot of nky is predicting. Dogs press and depth simply wore SC down in the second half and caused a lot of turnovers.

BTW, I'll be the first to say it....Chris Hayes is going to be the best guard in nky this year. He had 26 against Walton and 30 against Scott Co with Manning defending him much of the game. Nobody for Scott Co could stop him and Manning was even moved to another defender because Hayes was too quick and athletic for him.

Sophomore Quan Palmer also showed up in a big way for Holmes with 12 points. Kid is going to be a player.

I think Holmes is going to be better than a lot of nky is predicting. Dogs press and depth simply wore SC down in the second half and caused a lot of turnovers.

I love Quan's game because he is such a hawk on defense. 12 points is a great start for him because I've always thought that his defense was ahead of his offense. Great kid! Isn't he a freshman?

Looks like new coach is fitting in well.

With the group that Holmes has this year, Booher's system fits in perfect.

Not a lot of size, but a ton of kids that are quick and athletic.

Dontel Rice is also benefitting. At 6'5 he doesn't really have the inside presence to bang down low, but he's still able to score in the teens consistently because of the quick pace and uptempo style. He had a nice two hand dunk tonight over Shotwell and then a possession or two later had a one hand tip back dunk.

I love Quan's game because he is such a hawk on defense. 12 points is a great start for him because I've always thought that his defense was ahead of his offense. Great kid! Isn't he a freshman?

Quan is a sophomore. Needs to work on his ball handling but considering he had Manning, Richardson, and Relford all defending him tonight, I'd say he did very well.

The key for this Holmes group is confidence. Once they built some momentum in the second half, baskets started coming with relative ease. The one thing I've noticed about Holmes in their first two scrimmages is that they have played much better in the second half than first. It's just my opinion, but I'd attribute this to their uptempo style wearing the opposition down. Constant pressure baseline to baseline.

You and I said the same thing a while back. No team in NKY has the speed or athleticism that Holmes has.

IMO: Holmes will make a serious run at the 9th region championship.

Was Scott Co missing anyone due to the football playoffs still going on...It was just a scrimmage but this says alot about Holmes I believe and the fact they will be a threat to reclaim their 9th Region Title...Many NKY teams will struggle with the Holmes press and athleticism...It soinds like this team could grow into a solid unit with great cnemistry and discipline, two areas that have plagued the more star studded classes of years past at Holmes...I cant wait to see the new faces at Holmes as well as last years players step up...

You and I said the same thing a while back. No team in NKY has the speed or athleticism that Holmes has.

IMO: Holmes will make a serious run at the 9th region championship.

Chris Hayes will average 20+ a night. When people see him this year, they're going to wonder why he wasn't starting last year. The kid has improved that much since last year. Very strong with the ball, quick, athletic as they come, and will get alot of boards at both ends of the floor. His jump shot has also improved tremendously.

Holmes will get better as the season progresses. Once guys like Jaleel Gray and Dontel Rice get more comfortable, you'll see them making huge contributions. Rice can jump out of the gym and you'll see him have a lot of put backs this season. Gray, when he got more comfortable, played very strong and attacked the rim hard. He's great at drawing contact and finishing. Rice has had 15 and 17 in Holmes' first two scrimmages and Gray has had 6 and 12. Both guys improved from the first scrimmage to the second.

Knox is going to be one of the strongest and toughest kids in the area. He started MLB and TE for Holmes and you can definetly tell when he's on the court. His lack of size (6'2), is made up with his strength and athleticism. He was consistently grabbing rebounds yesterday over Manning, Shotwell, and Ivey who can all three jump out of the gym at 6'4. Think Terrence Clark from that 08 team. They are virtually mirror images only Clark was an inch or two bigger.

Also, Palmer and Peterson are going to get experience as the season progresses and they are going to get better as well. Palmer is a legit 5'11 and Peterson 6'3. Both will play major minutes this year without there being a drop off.

Add in a guy like Mayfield who has been playing since his soph year and this team has a nice mix of experienced veterans and young talent.

When guys like Chris Englemon and Trey Lewis adjust to the speed of the varsity level, Holmes will have even more depth.

I wasn't too excited about them after seeing them against Walton, but after seeing them against a very good Scott Co team, I like their chances a lot more. Their press will wear teams down and cause a lot of turnovers, leading to quick scores.

Was Scott Co missing anyone due to the football playoffs still going on...It was just a scrimmage but this says alot about Holmes I believe and the fact they will be a threat to reclaim their 9th Region Title...Many NKY teams will struggle with the Holmes press and athleticism...It soinds like this team could grow into a solid unit with great cnemistry and discipline, two areas that have plagued the more star studded classes of years past at Holmes...I cant wait to see the new faces at Holmes as well as last years players step up...

Scott Co had their usual players yesterday.

Starting 5 was 5'11 Richardon, 6'1 Relford, 6'2 Ivey, 6'4 Manning, 6'4 Shotwell.

Off the bench they played 6'2 Josh Harris, 6'3 Kymbal Harris, and 5'10 frosh Cunningham.

Holmes used the following starting lineup:

5'10 Mayfield, 6'0 Hayes, 6'2 Gray, 6'2 Knox, 6'5 D. Rice

Off the bench they played 6'0 Trey Lewis, and two sophomores. 5'11 Quan Palmer and 6'3 Dasean Peterson.

Which kid?

Jakeith Pitts...5'10 jr pg.

Extremely quick with the ball and very athletic. Many have considered him a mix of Braeon Avery and Jamel Riley. He has the toughness of Avery and a shot like Riley. He would've started at Holmes this year if he didn't transfer. He didn't play last year as a soph but had a HUGE summer on the AAU circuit for NKY Heat.

Where was Barber?

You think Hayes will be better than Hatton this year?

I hear the guard transfer from Holmes is looking good at Boone and could end up starting.

I don't remember seeing Barber at all, but do remember wondering where he was.

It's tough to compare Hayes and Hatton because they play a different style, but I think Hayes will fill it up, much like Hatton will. He did it all against Scott Co. Took Manning off the dribble and skyed over defenders for easy lay ins. Hit several mid range jumpers. And also knocked down three treys. He's become a complete player offensively. People will be impressed with his play when they see him.