Rules Question

sportsfan08

Guys, I have a question. If a team has a two level press box is it legal for them to let their coaches and film crew go upstairs and make the other team stay on the lower level? I've seen this done two weeks in a row and was under the impression that you had to give both teams equal access.

You are supposed to give both teams comparable facilities. I don't think you have to give them exact facilities. I know of programs that have a position set up on the visitors side of the field for the visitor team. Not the same place, but a comparable place. I have also seen programs that just down right refuse to allow the visiting teams in the press box.

The KHSAA handbook includes a section called "KHSAA RULES AND REGULATIONS Governing the Football Championships" commonly referred to as the football tournament rules. Some of these rules apply to post season only, but some of them apply to all regular and post season games.

LINK

Check out Section X, Subsection G (pg 4) ...

G) Videotaping Standard and Procedures and Video Exchange Policy:

1) All Visiting teams will be given the same area to record from as

the home team.

There is no rule concerning this. Many times I have seen Trinity's coaches and filmers being relegated to the top row of the bleachers on the visitors side because the host school said there wasn't room for them in the press box.

As Watusi stated the rules that he cited cover post-season only.

Where would I have to go to get a definitive ruling on this...who is the go to guy?

My guess is that unless your team was relegated to the window that pointed away from the field or you were stuck up in a tree it's going to fall upon deaf ears.

As Watusi stated the rules that he cited cover post-season only.

Actually I said some of these rules are for postseason only and some for regular and postseason. I think this seems to be one that applies to regular season.

If you go to the KHSAA website, in addition to the above reference I posted from the handbook, the KHSAA has thought enough of this issue to post a separate link to the rules of video taping and exchange.

If you go to the KHSAA General Football Infomation page, about 10 items down in the left column you will see the heading KHSAA Video Standards for Game Film Exchange.

If you click on that link, it takes you to a page titled "KHSAA VIDEO STANDARDS FOR ALL FOOTBALL GAMES". It is a reprint of the item I posted above from the handbook, but with that heading, it seems to me to be relevant to regular season games as well.

No, it is kind of vague. It says the visiting team shall be given "the same area" as the home team to film the game, but doesn't address the coaches in the booth.

There may be another place from the handbook that deals with that, but I haven't looked.