Presidents and the Salute

Clyde

First, lets file this under absolutely no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I saw this picture of President Obama saluting a Marine. Rather weak. I've never been in the military but my dad was a Marine as well as a police officer so "squared away" is something I've always been around. If I were the President and did not have a military background I would get someone to train me on how to salute properly. It just looks a lot better and I think would garner some respect from military folk.

salute.jpg

I sure hope that he's not asked to do the Girl Scout pledge. Heaven's to Betsy!

Clyde...I'm sorry....but...really...????

Hey now. I qualified this with my very first sentence as "no big deal." However, I like a man or woman who knows how to salute properly. Will it alter the outcome of terrorism? Nope. Will it fix the economy? Nope.

It would just look more presidential.

I'll be the one to ask....What's wrong with the way he's doing it? Can't say I'm familiar with the proper saluting technique.

My grandfather taught me (and all of my cousins) to salute "properly": Palm stays flat and fingers are extended out straight and held together. Upper arm projects out at a 90 degree angle to your body, and your elbow should bend, accordingly, to about 45 degrees when you bring your hand up to the edge of your brow line.

First, lets file this under absolutely no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I saw this picture of President Obama saluting a Marine. Rather weak. I've never been in the military but my dad was a Marine as well as a police officer so "squared away" is something I've always been around. If I were the President and did not have a military background I would get someone to train me on how to salute properly. It just looks a lot better and I think would garner some respect from military folk.

Exactly...it's not like he doesn't have any of about a hundred military contacts whom he runs into on a day-to-day basis that he could ask for a couple quick pointers.

The first one in the link is President Obama with a much better salute. Don't get lazy, Mr. President.

I don't think it is lazy. When I googled presidential salutes I found a lot of pictures. In formal settings most of them were very good. The picture of President Obama in the link is receiving caskets at Dover. That requires a very formal salute if one is given at all. In less formal settings all of the Presidents were more relaxed. I have seen old newsreels of Ike returning salutes. Alot of them looked very much like the salutes the presidents give. I'm not sure that the presidents should salute at all, but if they do, I'm don't think they should look like a private saluting a general.