Presidents and the Salute

Clyde

It's really hard to tell where he was in the salute in a still frame photo. To me, it looks like he is coming out of the salute. Photos are difficult to judge for a variety of reasons.

Unless it is one of Obama.

As much as he does stuff like this I'm sure at times he slacks on it a bit. Any of us would do it all the time. At times you know the President is exhausted and does it out of respect for the soldier, sometimes it probably droops a little other times it probably is more correct. I'd say this is just a picture caught at one of those lazy times we could all be guilty of.

My grandfather taught me (and all of my cousins) to salute "properly": Palm stays flat and fingers are extended out straight and held together. Upper arm projects out at a 90 degree angle to your body, and your elbow should bend, accordingly, to about 45 degrees when you bring your hand up to the edge of your brow line.

It's really hard to tell where he was in the salute in a still frame photo. To me, it

looks like he is coming out of the salute. Photos are difficult to judge for a variety of reasons.

in this case if he is coming out of it, the elbow would extend removing the hand before adducting his shoulder. This photo clearly shows movement of the proximal humerus to initiate completion of the salute. Not particulary a good technique. The Warren Commission has been reactivated and notified.