Weight Loss--Any good ideas??

StickerMann

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys who have done blood work just make an appointment with your regular physician? Normal co-pay? or is there another route to go? Start of the school year = start of a new attempt at weight loss and healthier living.

I have a physical every year and they do work a few days before. My family doctor does mine.

It is a fallacy that eating late at night causes weight gain. There are no conclusive studies or any evidence to prove that eating late meals causes fat gain moreso than eating early meals.

Ultimately, weight gain depends on how many calories you consume and how many calories you expend in a day. If you eat more than you expend, you gain weight - regardless of whether the source of your calories are from breakfast, lunch, dinner, or 1AM snack. The problem is that you generally tend to reach for very high calorie garbage (chips, cookies, Little Debbies, ice cream, etc...) late at night, therefore causing you to exceed your daily calorie intake. But if you're going to eat healthy foods - fruits, veggies, lean meat, etc.., there is no problem whatsoever eating it late at night. Your body processes food just as well at night as it does during the day.

:thumb:

Generally for guys you pick a target weight and multiply it by 11 and you have how many calories you should be consuming.

Get out in this heat 5:00-6:00pm and walk/jog/run I have lost 15 lbs. in the last 10 weeks going 45 minutes 5 days a week.

Careful with this suggestion. I have no doubt it's a good idea for you and for others on this site. I love to exercise and work out in the yard in as hot as weather there is. But make no mistake about it, there are people on this site that should absolutely not go out in 105 degree heat index and start running or exercising. Heck, I played in a golf scramble yesterday (using carts obviously) and there must have been 8-10 guys that I was generally concerned were going to keel over from a heart attack.

Careful with this suggestion. I have no doubt it's a good idea for you and for others on this site. I love to exercise and work out in the yard in as hot as weather there is. But make no mistake about it, there are people on this site that should absolutely not go out in 105 degree heat index and start running or exercising. Heck, I played in a golf scramble yesterday (using carts obviously) and there must have been 8-10 guys that I was generally concerned were going to keel over from a heart attack.

:thumb: I wanted to post something similar. Heat index at our school today at 11:00 am was 108.

Do you guys who have done blood work just make an appointment with your regular physician? Normal co-pay? or is there another route to go? Start of the school year = start of a new attempt at weight loss and healthier living.

For me personally my job mandates a full physical every Spring, which is kind of nice. It even includes a complete hearing test since I'm around firearms. But I still go see my regular doctor later in the year to update the blood work and also get a PSA (prostate) test (I get the "other" kind" during the Spring physical - not a big fan of that test :lol:).

Others who had lost a lot of weight had told me to do this, so I did, and lost a lot myself. More than the weight loss, I think it's just healthier not to eat late.

Again, not really true. There are certainly some issues with eating late, such as a possible effect on falling asleep, cavities from not brushing teeth after noshing, etc.. And, of course, the big thing is that those late-night, high calorie snacks are often the calories that throw you "over budget" on your diet plan if you haven't planned for a late hour meal as part of your regimen. But there's simply nothing "unhealthy" if one of your 5/6 meals for the day comes very late at night before going to bed.

Again, not really true. There are certainly some issues with eating late, such as a possible effect on falling asleep, cavities from not brushing teeth after noshing, etc.. And, of course, the big thing is that those late-night, high calorie snacks are often the calories that throw you "over budget" on your diet plan if you haven't planned for a late hour meal as part of your regimen. But there's simply nothing "unhealthy" if one of your 5/6 meals for the day comes very late at night before going to bed.

I acknowledge I haven't read anything up on it, so you're probably right. But I do know it's something I've done & has worked. Probably a lot to do with choice of foods, as you alluded to.

In moderation it does. Nothing pains me more than to see people at the office take in 5+ cups a day.

I'd rather see someone down 5+ cups of coffee a day than 5+ sodas, which is much more prevelant, I'm thinking.

That depends. I avoid having to take prescription migrane medicine by making sure I have coffee every day.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy for you though.

About a year or so ago when I was drinking 4-5 soft drinks a day, if I would go a day or even just a morning without one, I'd have awful migranes. Shortly after having my 1st Coke or Pepsi, it would go away. My body's addiction to the caffine was causing the headaches, not the caffine preventing them.

Now that I've got myself down to maybe 1 Coke a day, I never get migranes. Now obviously, I'm not saying this is what's going on in your situation, but sometimes migranes are caused by the body's reliance on the caffine, as was true in my case.