Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1A Outlook for 2010

Featured Replies

I think you all are sandbagging big time. I remember last year people saying that Beechwood had "a great Sophomore and Junior class", and that "if someone was going to beat them, last year was the year". Just come out and say it, Beechwood is expecting to win the State Championship this year.

 

Don't you think that Beechwood expects to win the state championship every year?

I do. It does not matter what year it is .. Beechwood expects to win every year. (I am not sure how that is relevant versus the fact that Mayfield is the over-whelming favorite in 2010).

That also doesn't change the fact that Mayfield has nearly their entire team coming back.

And at this point--it would be extremely difficult to find any logic that could refute the fact that they are overwhelming favorites based on their returning players.

The bulls eye is squarely on Mayfield's back -- they have the most returning players coming back ... and the players that they have are pretty freaking good.

They have rightfully earned the honor of pre-season number 1.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, judging by the comment by BH, District 6 just needs to wait around for basketball.......:rolleyes:

 

C'ville could cause a lot of problems for many teams due to the changes in the off season. Athletes seem to show up every year that can get things done. I believe they have to replace the QB this year, so that could be interesting.

 

The Burg could be facing a rebuilding year, but their offense is still hard to play against. Have to replace Moses and more. Easier said than done.

 

Clinton continues to improve, as does Berea. One of these could easily be the surprise team in the district. Both were competitive last season. I see no reason for them to step back.

 

Lynn Camp still has some questions to answer, but they do resemble some of the smash mouth teams they have fielded in the past. Good QB in Black, 4 or 5 kids that can move the ball out of the backfield. Most of the questions for the Cats involve line play.

 

The district could provide a darkhorse this season and should be entertaining as it plays out.

Thanks DADDY CAT, good to see you. I kinda hope for a Lynn Camp rematch this year, I enjoyed it last season.

 

Campbellsville had a nice team last year as did Lynn Camp I can see both doing similar this season. Can't wait to see how it shakes out.

Okay here is my 2 cents worth, from what I seen last year LCA will be a contender as they had a huge bench last year with some very good looking atheletes, Hazard saw them once against LCA and was very impressed with their overall size and

experience comming back. Raceland will always be there as well as Frankfort. Up in NKY don't ever count out Bellevue and both Walton and Bishop Brossart are comming around. Mayfield will be #1 starting out the year and should be. This will be a very interesting year in Class A. JD

Mayfield lost 2 of the best athletes in class A last season to graduation. Those won't be easy to replace.

Okay here is my 2 cents worth, from what I seen last year LCA will be a contender as they had a huge bench last year with some very good looking atheletes, Hazard saw them once against LCA and was very impressed with their overall size and

experience comming back. Raceland will always be there as well as Frankfort. Up in NKY don't ever count out Bellevue and both Walton and Bishop Brossart are comming around. Mayfield will be #1 starting out the year and should be. This will be a very interesting year in Class A. JD

 

John-I hear where you are coming from, but I do count out Bellevue, as they lost one of their most productive players ever in Buckler, and Brossart and Walton are still learning to win games, much less playoff games.

This will come down to Mayfield/Beechwood, and LCA/Hazard.

Don't you think that Beechwood expects to win the state championship every year?

I do. It does not matter what year it is .. Beechwood expects to win every year. (I am not sure how that is relevant versus the fact that Mayfield is the over-whelming favorite in 2010).

That also doesn't change the fact that Mayfield has nearly their entire team coming back.

And at this point--it would be extremely difficult to find any logic that could refute the fact that they are overwhelming favorites based on their returning players.

The bulls eye is squarely on Mayfield's back -- they have the most returning players coming back ... and the players that they have are pretty freaking good.

They have rightfully earned the honor of pre-season number 1.

Well said, QS.

Mayfield lost 2 of the best athletes in class A last season to graduation. Those won't be easy to replace.

 

Where is their wide receiver playing? Is he in college somewhere? I thought he was perhaps the best athlete in 1A last year and has the size and athleticism to play on the next level.

Where is their wide receiver playing? Is he in college somewhere? I thought he was perhaps the best athlete in 1A last year and has the size and athleticism to play on the next level.

 

I asked the same question. The information I got was nowhere.

Where is their wide receiver playing? Is he in college somewhere? I thought he was perhaps the best athlete in 1A last year and has the size and athleticism to play on the next level.

 

Shelton was going to try his hand at Coffeyville is what I heard this summer but I have not followed up to see if he did this.

 

I think Mayfield will miss his ability more than anyother, he had constant double coverage and made everyone punt and kick away from him often resulting in short fields for Mayfield. I would love to go back and count how many times teams kicked or punted to him and he broke it for a TD. Mayfield is fortunate in having 2 returning big play WR's that both had big years last year. As for 1A's outlook I think having Mayfield at the top makes sense, they are returning a ton. Beechwood would seem to me to be a logical 2nd. I think I would place LCA and Hazard in my next 2 but not sure who is ahead of who and LCA with the graduation of alot and a new coach may be further down than I am placing them. Next I think Crittenden makes a sound case. What about Bellevue, what do they return? Didnt that stud RB graduate?

I don't know how good Frankfort will be this season. I do know they have a bunch of experience back. Due to last season injuries a lot of kids got thrown into the fire and gained experience. I due know depth will be an issue like always at Frankfort. They lost 3 starters on offense. Like I said I don't know how good they will be, but I wouldn't count them out.

 

I have to agree... Should be Well seasoned from last season, a lot of young kids got a lot of playing time and it should show this coming season. CoachB who is those 3 starters?

I have to agree... Should be Well seasoned from last season, a lot of young kids got a lot of playing time and it should show this coming season. CoachB who is those 3 starters?

 

Hall, Eskue, and Dunamire.

I'm hoping for a rematch, too, Ram. Just hoping it is not a first round game again....

Something to keep in mind when thinking about state championship game participants is the semifinal locations. Mayfield (or whoever wins Region I) would have to travel to Beechwood (or whoever wins Region II). Certainly Mayfield was the better team last year, but the long travel certainly didn't help Beechwood in their hope to pull an upset. As an added factoid, since 1991 Beechwood is 7-0 in state semifinal games played at home.

 

The same holds true for Region's III and IV. Lexington Christian would seem to be the eastern favorite, but they (or Raceland, Fairview, Campbellsville, etc.) would have to win on the road in the state semifinals, perhaps at either Hazard or Pikeville. And LCA found out in 2008 that winning at Hazard for a trip to state wasn't a sure bet.

  • Author
I think LCA and Mayfield will be a rematch from 2009. LCA is to the point that they'll reload and have the numbers to do so and the Cards return 8 starters on both sides of the ball from a 13-2 team. Beechwood should be the biggest challenger from the west with Hazard being the top contender from the east. Hazard returns alot and LCA won't be quite as strong, so, it could go either way, but, I like the depth advantage LCA has on most all 1a teams that'll get them back to state. I give the Tigers of Beechwood a legitimate shot, as well, mainly because if they do happen to meet the Cards in the semi's, they'll have homefield advantage, which could be huge, considering the distance...With all that said, I still think the Top 2 teams will be there again in 2010 and I think with a different outcome...

 

The only problem with your prediction is for LCA to get the championship game they have to go through Hazard, literally, they have to travel to Hazard. Ask them how that went last time.

  • Author
Don't you think that Beechwood expects to win the state championship every year?

I do. It does not matter what year it is .. Beechwood expects to win every year. (I am not sure how that is relevant versus the fact that Mayfield is the over-whelming favorite in 2010).

That also doesn't change the fact that Mayfield has nearly their entire team coming back.

And at this point--it would be extremely difficult to find any logic that could refute the fact that they are overwhelming favorites based on their returning players.

The bulls eye is squarely on Mayfield's back -- they have the most returning players coming back ... and the players that they have are pretty freaking good.

They have rightfully earned the honor of pre-season number 1.

 

That' a cop out. Every team says their goal is to win a State Championship. Tells us, do you think Beechwood will beat Mayfield this year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.