May 12, 201016 yr I hope Cal stays. It will be more fun listening to his constant defenders say why he didn't win it all and why it wasn't his fault that final 4 banners were taken down at schools he coached during the time he was in charge. :ohbrother:
May 12, 201016 yr If Cal leaves for the NBA this off-season, me and my friends have already decided we'd join in on the couch burnings. I don't know if they'd happen if he'd leave, but I would imagine Lexington would go pretty crazy. I'm a Cal fan, but that would change if he left the Cats high and dry this year. I said to my UT friends when they hired Lame Kiffen that he was 3 years max...whether he was great or failed miserably. I said when Cal was hired, he would be 5 max. If he leaves after 1 year, I would not be a fan of his either...I wouldn't be suprised, but i'd be upset.
May 12, 201016 yr Gray area? Can you please provide facts? Sounds like Cal's phone has been very busy with incoming calls from recruits lately. Grass isn't always greener, even with Lebron. Nice shot at Cal though. I know all of the UK detractors would love to see Cal go. They could take a deep breath. I'm a huge UK fan. Derk Rose passing his test how ever many miles from his home is grey area to me. LBJ flying recruits to playoff games on his private jet qualifies to me. He can't control what 18 year old kids w/ handlers do. He doesn't need to worry about pro players.
May 12, 201016 yr I'm a huge UK fan. Derk Rose passing his test how ever many miles from his home is grey area to me. LBJ flying recruits to playoff games on his private jet qualifies to me. He can't control what 18 year old kids w/ handlers do. He doesn't need to worry about pro players. So, let me get this right. Cal strategically planned D. Rose's ACT test, for the specific reason of making him eligible to play basketball? Is what Lebron did illegal? Did he break any NCAA violations? I'm sure the god Heir Jordan has never tried to influence a UNC recruit. I see nothing wrong with being a master of knowing every single NCAA rule, and then planning your recruiting strategy to fit within those parameters. Every coach does it. Until Cal is ever named specifically in any NCAA violation, he can flirt with what you refer to as "grey" areas all he wants. The facts remain. Lots of jealousy involving UK and Cal. You can't get caught for something you have never done.
May 12, 201016 yr I hope Cal stays. It will be more fun listening to his constant defenders say why he didn't win it all and why it wasn't his fault that final 4 banners were taken down at schools he coached during the time he was in charge. :ohbrother: Guess you have never been inside the Mullins Center. The banner hangs 24/7.
May 12, 201016 yr So, let me get this right. Cal strategically planned D. Rose's ACT test, for the specific reason of making him eligible to play basketball? Is what Lebron did illegal? Did he break any NCAA violations? I'm sure the god Heir Jordan has never tried to influence a UNC recruit. I see nothing wrong with being a master of knowing every single NCAA rule, and then planning your recruiting strategy to fit within those parameters. Every coach does it. Until Cal is ever named specifically in any NCAA violation, he can flirt with what you refer to as "grey" areas all he wants. The facts remain. Lots of jealousy involving UK and Cal. You can't get caught for something you have never done. All I said was grey area. Relax.
May 12, 201016 yr I said to my UT friends when they hired Lame Kiffen that he was 3 years max...whether he was great or failed miserably. I said when Cal was hired, he would be 5 max. If he leaves after 1 year, I would not be a fan of his either...I wouldn't be suprised, but i'd be upset. It wouldn't shock me, because nothing would these days. But, I will join the riot, just to go all redneck for a day :lol:.:thumb:
May 12, 201016 yr Guess you have never been inside the Mullins Center. The banner hangs 24/7. I could hang a banner in my house saying I am the 2011 National Champion but it means nothing. I know we are having fun (or I am), but the fact is All of his final 4 appearances (2) have been vacated by the national sanctioning body of his sport-basketball-the NCAA-so whether those in the Roman Empire agree or not does not matter. Cal is what he is is. A great recruiter, good coach, and has to stay on the move to stay ahead of the posse! (Again-I am kidding on the last part)
May 12, 201016 yr I could hang a banner in my house saying I am the 2011 National Champion but it means nothing. I know we are having fun (or I am), but the fact is All of his final 4 appearances (2) have been vacated by the national sanctioning body of his sport-basketball-the NCAA-so whether those in the Roman Empire agree or not does not matter. Cal is what he is is. A great recruiter, good coach, and has to stay on the move to stay ahead of the posse! (Again-I am kidding on the last part) You could also just admit you are in that group or should I say legion of people who feel Calipari is the sole reason that his FF's were vacated. Neither situation had anything to do with John Calipari himself. The thing at UMASS was about Camby taking money or accepting gifts from an agent or something like that. As we all know the Memphis thing had to do with where Derick Rose took his ACT (in high school). How was Calipari to know that Rose may have had someone take his test for him? I mean all he was really worried about anyway was the score, and obviously everything was good enough for the Clearinghouse to allow him to play. IMO it is just two unfortunate incidents that has caused Calipari his reputation to a lot of people. You can question the character of some of his players, but obviously not the talent, and talent is what you want.
May 12, 201016 yr Gray area? Can you please provide facts? Sounds like Cal's phone has been very busy with incoming calls from recruits lately. Grass isn't always greener, even with Lebron. Nice shot at Cal though. I know all of the UK detractors would love to see Cal go. They could take a deep breath. I hope he stays. It is better for college basketball as a whole when UK has a great team.
May 13, 201016 yr You could also just admit you are in that group or should I say legion of people who feel Calipari is the sole reason that his FF's were vacated. Neither situation had anything to do with John Calipari himself. The thing at UMASS was about Camby taking money or accepting gifts from an agent or something like that. As we all know the Memphis thing had to do with where Derick Rose took his ACT (in high school). How was Calipari to know that Rose may have had someone take his test for him? I mean all he was really worried about anyway was the score, and obviously everything was good enough for the Clearinghouse to allow him to play. IMO it is just two unfortunate incidents that has caused Calipari his reputation to a lot of people. You can question the character of some of his players, but obviously not the talent, and talent is what you want. I hear what you are saying Dolamite, and I like Cal, but I also think he just can't be held blameless. If there is smoke in your backyard in the fall, the leaves may be burning. If your buddy robbed the bank and you drove him away from the joint, you maybe didn't commit the crime, but you are certainly guilty of associating with a less than desirable person. (Reminds me alot of Pete Rose actually). Pete used to have an appetitie for the undesireables and sooner or later they suck you in.
May 13, 201016 yr Read where Cal was behind the bench in LeBron's corner on Tuesday night. Makes me wonder if there is more here than just a good friend. :idunno:
May 13, 201016 yr I hope he stays. It is better for college basketball as a whole when UK has a great team. I agree. When teams like UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc are solid, it adds more intrigue. The whole 'little guy vs big guy' story plays a long way in sports.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.