May 14, 201016 yr All coaches (Cal included) try to place doubt about other programs to help bolster their argument. However, these rumors come from the press, the NBA 'experts', and their knowledge of Lebron's relationship with Cal (which is no secret). Can't blame this one on the arch rivals, but of course they will use it in the recruiting battle,... nothing new here. As far as Lebron and Jordan, ... MJ has 6 titles. Probably would have had more had he not taken that baseball vacation. But Lebron is far beyond being just a 'good' player. He is arguably the best player in the game right now. Is he Jordan, arguably the best of all time? Nope. But then again, who is? However, I have never seen a player of Lebron's size have the strength & quickness that he possesses. He is a 2 time MVP for a reason, and not it's not because he just a 'good' player. Hey look, I am a HUGE UK fan, ... but to think that coaching Lebron on a team with the potential to win a title is a step down from UK is a bit much. Sorry you took my good player comment as an average player. I think LJ is an outstanding talent, but will never carry the same legacy as MJ. However, folks speak about LJ like he is MJ born again. My measurement of a great player has always been how he/she performs at the most critical moments. I just didn't see that in the Celtics series. He looked befuddled at times. But, please understand that I am in no way taking anything away for LJ. He is outstanding.
May 14, 201016 yr I don't understand the remarks about how great it would be to coach LJ. He is one of the best players there is but what is so great about coaching him. Who would have the control LJ or Cal, on the team. I think it would be more fun to be coaching college where you have the power than to be a puppet for overpaid players who tell the coaches and GM what to do.
May 14, 201016 yr I know we are getting off topic, but here is some food for thought on the LeBron vs. Jordan discussion - Jordan won his first title at age 28, LeBron is 25. It is a little early to say LeBron is no where close to Jordan. The question is can LeBron get Phil Jackson to be his coach.
May 14, 201016 yr I know we are getting off topic, but here is some food for thought on the LeBron vs. Jordan discussion - Jordan won his first title at age 28, LeBron is 25. It is a little early to say LeBron is no where close to Jordan. The question is can LeBron get Phil Jackson to be his coach. Jordan won his first ring in his 7th season. This was LeBron's 7th season and he was more physically mature than Jordan out of the gate. The high school influx of players during the 90s (Kobe, KG, TMac, etc.) all of which are in the early 30s, look as if they are on their last legs. I read an article recently in ESPN Magazine on how the NBA body only has so many games in it.
May 14, 201016 yr I don't understand why NBA teams go bonkers over the hot college coaches and throw tons of money at them. How often does a guy jump from college to NBA and actually succeed at a high level? Cal has already had one round with the NBA, and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. I'd look elsewhere if I were an NBA team. Of course, I know that's not how it works, but I swear these professional teams are so dumb sometimes. They always want to make a big splash and hire the guy who will make the papers sell instead of going through a process and trying to identify the best guy. That's one thing I've always respected about the Pittsburgh Steelers...after Cowher left, they didn't rush out and try to get the hottest name, or automatically promote a guy from within...they went through a legitimate process and hired the guy they thought would be the best. How's that worked out? More teams ought to try it methinks. And, I realize that was a switch of sports, but the idea is the same. The NFL does the same things and college coaches generally don't live up to the hype. Even with Cowher, when they hired him I said Bill who???
May 14, 201016 yr Jordan won his first ring in his 7th season. This was LeBron's 7th season and he was more physically mature than Jordan out of the gate. The high school influx of players during the 90s (Kobe, KG, TMac, etc.) all of which are in the early 30s, look as if they are on their last legs. I read an article recently in ESPN Magazine on how the NBA body only has so many games in it. True about the 7th year. Interesting point on the # of games in the body. If I were LeBron, my number one priority in free agency would be finding a team with another all star/top 10 in the league type player. Once he is on a team where he isn't the only threat, look out. It takes more than one great player to win a title. If Pippen hadn't been there, along with Rodman later on, I am not sure how many titles Jordan would have won.
May 14, 201016 yr I think Cal returns to UK BUT if LeBron and Rose as teammates come calling, he would have to listen to them and would be very tempting. My personal opinion would be that team would have the best point guard over the next 10 years and the best player in the NBA over the next 10-12 years.
May 14, 201016 yr I think Cal returns to UK BUT if LeBron and Rose as teammates come calling, he would have to listen to them and would be very tempting. My personal opinion would be that team would have the best point guard over the next 10 years and the best player in the NBA over the next 10-12 years. If Lebron goes to Chicago, how great would it be if Rondo hooked up with Durant in three years? Those would be some battles...
May 14, 201016 yr If Lebron goes to Chicago, how great would it be if Rondo hooked up with Durant in three years? Those would be some battles... C'mon, Durant already plays with an uber-athletic young PG in Westbrook...
May 14, 201016 yr C'mon, Durant already plays with an uber-athletic young PG in Westbrook... Westbrook isn't Rondo's IMO... I'd take him over Rose though...
May 15, 201016 yr C'mon, Durant already plays with an uber-athletic young PG in Westbrook... What chance do you give those guys stating in OKC? I'd say slim.
May 15, 201016 yr What chance do you give those guys stating in OKC? I'd say slim. I'd say they'll be there for a while as long as they get along. Why would they leave? What team could offer them something better? OKC will be able to pay them the most amount of money, and they have a championship nucleus IMO. Durant is going to make his money in endorsements, with or without a big market. Westbrook's best chance of getting them is on a team with someone like Durant. I just don't see why they'd leave.
May 15, 201016 yr Westbrook isn't Rondo's IMO... I'd take him over Rose though... Westbrook is younger though and looks to be a future all-star. Rondo's already arrived, Westbrook hasn't even learned how to play the game yet. Give me Rondo if I have to draft one of the two, but I wouldn't leave the OKC organization and Westbrook. OKC's front office is one of the best in the league IMO, they draft well and sign players very strategically.
May 15, 201016 yr I'd say they'll be there for a while as long as they get along. Why would they leave? What team could offer them something better? OKC will be able to pay them the most amount of money, and they have a championship nucleus IMO. Durant is going to make his money in endorsements, with or without a big market. Westbrook's best chance of getting them is on a team with someone like Durant. I just don't see why they'd leave. The reason they would leave is b/c it's OKC. There aren't a ton of stars like Duncan that stay w/ small market teams. I'd love to see that team stick together. They are one or two parts away from being really good for a decade.
May 16, 201016 yr Westbrook is younger though and looks to be a future all-star. Rondo's already arrived, Westbrook hasn't even learned how to play the game yet. Give me Rondo if I have to draft one of the two, but I wouldn't leave the OKC organization and Westbrook. OKC's front office is one of the best in the league IMO, they draft well and sign players very strategically. Westbrook is an absolute stud.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.