May 13, 201016 yr He's never coached a big name college program until last year. If he failed in Chicago (he wouldn't if LBJ was there) he could get another college job in a second. He could also retire and go to TV. Why keep recruiting in the grey area when you could be done recruiting and coach Lebron? Lebron isn't exactly providing Mike Brown much job security these days. I know he could get another college coaching job in a second, never said he could'nt. However, re-read my post, he would be pushing 60 and all the variables of starting over and wanting to retire and not having the stamina to pursue another season of recruiting glory, then potentially not even win it all anyway. Cal has job aspirations also, just as you and I do. If I'm a lawyer, I may apsire to be a judge, however, I do not aspire to fall back on being the court reporter for Judge Judy in the future. Just as Cal will not concede to the TV ranks just for a job. Lebron has a great cast of athletes this year and they are on the brink of losing in the semi's. You cannot just say Lebron this and Lebron that, that is no reason to sacrifice your potential mortality in the college ranks as one of the best.
May 13, 201016 yr He doesn't need to worry about pro players. Are you serious? Gilbert Arenas ring a bell. I or anyone else on this board could come up with NBA players that act bigger than the game and cause constant trouble. He wouldn't have to recruit, true. But that is his biggest assest, so why take that away.
May 13, 201016 yr I don't understand why NBA teams go bonkers over the hot college coaches and throw tons of money at them. How often does a guy jump from college to NBA and actually succeed at a high level? Cal has already had one round with the NBA, and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. I'd look elsewhere if I were an NBA team. Of course, I know that's not how it works, but I swear these professional teams are so dumb sometimes. They always want to make a big splash and hire the guy who will make the papers sell instead of going through a process and trying to identify the best guy. That's one thing I've always respected about the Pittsburgh Steelers...after Cowher left, they didn't rush out and try to get the hottest name, or automatically promote a guy from within...they went through a legitimate process and hired the guy they thought would be the best. How's that worked out? More teams ought to try it methinks. And, I realize that was a switch of sports, but the idea is the same. The NFL does the same things and college coaches generally don't live up to the hype.
May 13, 201016 yr I don't understand why NBA teams go bonkers over the hot college coaches and throw tons of money at them. How often does a guy jump from college to NBA and actually succeed at a high level? Cal has already had one round with the NBA, and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. I'd look elsewhere if I were an NBA team. Of course, I know that's not how it works, but I swear these professional teams are so dumb sometimes. They always want to make a big splash and hire the guy who will make the papers sell instead of going through a process and trying to identify the best guy. That's one thing I've always respected about the Pittsburgh Steelers...after Cowher left, they didn't rush out and try to get the hottest name, or automatically promote a guy from within...they went through a legitimate process and hired the guy they thought would be the best. How's that worked out? More teams ought to try it methinks. And, I realize that was a switch of sports, but the idea is the same. The NFL does the same things and college coaches generally don't live up to the hype. I agree. I think Cal has proven he's not an NBA guy. He's not technical enough to make adjustments in the playoffs either IMO.
May 13, 201016 yr I don't understand why NBA teams go bonkers over the hot college coaches and throw tons of money at them. How often does a guy jump from college to NBA and actually succeed at a high level? Cal has already had one round with the NBA, and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. I'd look elsewhere if I were an NBA team. How many college coaches have gone to a job where they coach a top 3 player in the league? It's not just hot college coaches that aren't successful. Most coaches that take a job where there isn't much talent end up not succeeding. I'd guess Phil Jackson couldn't win big if he coached the Clippers the last decade. That's the only reason I think there's even a slight chance Calipari would make the jump. Coach K taking the Lakers job a few years ago is one of the only times I think it could have worked really well. You have to have talent to win no matter what.
May 13, 201016 yr Are you serious? Gilbert Arenas ring a bell. I or anyone else on this board could come up with NBA players that act bigger than the game and cause constant trouble. He wouldn't have to recruit, true. But that is his biggest assest, so why take that away. Did the Wizards coach get in trouble for Arenas having guns?
May 13, 201016 yr Did the Wizards coach get in trouble for Arenas having guns? Did Calipari get in trouble over Derrick Rose?
May 13, 201016 yr Did John Wooden get in trouble for every single player he recruited in the 60s and 70s?
May 13, 201016 yr Did Calipari get in trouble over Derrick Rose? Yes. He had 30+ wins and another final four taken off his resume. Just b/c the NCAA couldn't prove Calipari knew anything about the situation it doesn't mean he didn't (I'm not saying he knew about it). A prosecutor couldn't prove OJ killed his ex wife either. I think Calipari coaching Lebron next year is more of a possibilty than people want to admit. Part of the reason is he wouldn't have to worry about recruiting kids w/ handlers any more. It's really that simple to me.
May 13, 201016 yr Yes. He had 30+ wins and another final four taken off his resume. Just b/c the NCAA couldn't prove Calipari knew anything about the situation it doesn't mean he didn't (I'm not saying he knew about it). A prosecutor couldn't prove OJ killed his ex wife either. I think Calipari coaching Lebron next year is more of a possibilty than people want to admit. Part of the reason is he wouldn't have to worry about recruiting kids w/ handlers any more. It's really that simple to me. That wasn't Cal getting in trouble, that was Memphis. When I think of trouble I think more of Kelvin Sampson.
May 13, 201016 yr That wasn't Cal getting in trouble, that was Memphis. When I think of trouble I think more of Kelvin Sampson. :thumb: Precisely my friend. I think SSC has it wrong with regards to Cal.
May 13, 201016 yr That wasn't Cal getting in trouble, that was Memphis. When I think of trouble I think more of Kelvin Sampson. I guess it depends on your definition of trouble. The main point I was making was grey area of recruiting anyway. He has never been sanctioned by the NCAA. If he's coaching Lebron next year he doesn't need to worry about a governing body stripping him of wins for using an illegal player. Is that good?
May 13, 201016 yr Yes. He had 30+ wins and another final four taken off his resume. Just b/c the NCAA couldn't prove Calipari knew anything about the situation it doesn't mean he didn't (I'm not saying he knew about it). A prosecutor couldn't prove OJ killed his ex wife either. I think Calipari coaching Lebron next year is more of a possibilty than people want to admit. Part of the reason is he wouldn't have to worry about recruiting kids w/ handlers any more. It's really that simple to me. That is Cal's best! He LOVES recruiting! As far as the "handlers", they are everywhere these days on top players, everyone has to deal with them.
May 13, 201016 yr Author Read where Cal was behind the bench in LeBron's corner on Tuesday night. Makes me wonder if there is more here than just a good friend. :idunno: Yeah, but I think he was there with 2 people that bid to go with him to that game during "Hoops for Haiti" fundraiser. They bid on Cavs playoff game with Cal and a chance to meet Lebron. Too bad they didn't get to see Lebron play in that game.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.