Newport Central Catholic 14 Holy Cross 0 (5 Innings)

Definitely in the lower half...there are only 4 teams in the district.........for baseball HC has not been to the region since 2004....that is this thread. :clap:

For basketball-same thing-I believe the last time they were in the region was 2004.

In football-different classes, but let's face it they are not better than CCH or Beechwood any year, and on occasion may be better than Holmes.

Case closed, argument over. They have fallen in the past decade in male sports. Holy Cross used to be relevant, not so much now. To argue otherwise is to be an alumni, parent, student, or fan of a current player. I am not saying they don't have good players-simply they aren't in the discussion much in any of three major male sports in No.Ky as to be a potential champion.

History, please try to be open minded about this.

Baseball- State runner-up in the All "A" last year alone is enough to say that the baseball program is not on the decline. Yes, they have not been to the region since '04, but please share with us the secret to not having down years. Apparently you and your team have never had one.

Basketball- Probably the only sport for which you can make a legitimate argument for decline and I won't argue that.

Football- How can you even say they "used to be relevant"? The program is barely a decade old. The program has improved each year since its inaugural season.

Again, I feel like you're trying to lump all three sports together. Do you have any reason for holding such a grudge against the Indians?

History, please try to be open minded about this.

Baseball- State runner-up in the All "A" last year alone is enough to say that the baseball program is not on the decline. Yes, they have not been to the region since '04, but please share with us the secret to not having down years. Apparently you and your team have never had one.

Basketball- Probably the only sport for which you can make a legitimate argument for decline and I won't argue that.

Football- How can you even say they "used to be relevant"? The program is barely a decade old. The program has improved each year since its inaugural season.

Again, I feel like you're trying to lump all three sports together. Do you have any reason for holding such a grudge against the Indians?

No grudge at all ETS-quite honestly the opposite. I want Holy Cross to be good and relevant. The Indians used to be a region title contender in basketball and have even represented the 9th Region down state a few times, but that is now in the pretty distant past, and I know you are not arguing about that sport.

In football, their best years were 2003 + 2004, and I have seen them play lately and don't think they are improving. They are guaranteed to make the playoffs in 2010, because they play in a 4 team district. The other teams NCC-always good, Newport-generally down + Lloyd-so-so. The bottom line here is if they want to contend they have to shoot for NCC plain and simple. (They have all the supposed advantages of a private school-can draw with students paying a tuition from anywhere.) (I know this point is the subject of an entire other thread, but I do believe the Indians should enjoy advantages that the Wildcats, and Juggs do not.)

In baseball-I will ask you would you rather have won the Region like Beechwood did, or be state runner up in the "A" like Holy Cross did?

A down year is one thing ETS, but this has been going on for too may years at the school in Latonia. As I said earlier here-my whole reason for commenting is to question the Indians true desire to compete at the highest level in the region in these three sports. I think you and I both want them to. You think they are currently, or maybe are having off years, I believe that boys sports are down at Holy Cross and they have grown a tad soft, comfortable in the excuse of playing in a tough district in basketball with CCH and Holmes, and with Beechwood and CCH in baseball.

If you want to be the best, you have to welcome the challenges and plan to win. I have no school, but will give you teams scheduling I admire in football are Highlands and Ryle, and in basketball Holmes, and in baseball CovCath and Beechwood. I think you will see that with the lone exception of Ryle in football that this tough scheduling by the various coaches prepares those teams very well for postseason competition.

No grudge at all ETS-quite honestly the opposite. I want Holy Cross to be good and relevant. The Indians used to be a region title contender in basketball and have even represented the 9th Region down state a few times, but that is now in the pretty distant past, and I know you are not arguing about that sport.

In football, their best years were 2003 + 2004, and I have seen them play lately and don't think they are improving. They are guaranteed to make the playoffs in 2010, because they play in a 4 team district. The other teams NCC-always good, Newport-generally down + Lloyd-so-so. The bottom line here is if they want to contend they have to shoot for NCC plain and simple. (They have all the supposed advantages of a private school-can draw with students paying a tuition from anywhere.) (I know this point is the subject of an entire other thread, but I do believe the Indians should enjoy advantages that the Wildcats, and Juggs do not.)

In baseball-I will ask you would you rather have won the Region like Beechwood did, or be state runner up in the "A" like Holy Cross did?

A down year is one thing ETS, but this has been going on for too may years at the school in Latonia. As I said earlier here-my whole reason for commenting is to question the Indians true desire to compete at the highest level in the region in these three sports. I think you and I both want them to. You think they are currently, or maybe are having off years, I believe that boys sports are down at Holy Cross and they have grown a tad soft, comfortable in the excuse of playing in a tough district in basketball with CCH and Holmes, and with Beechwood and CCH in baseball.

If you want to be the best, you have to welcome the challenges and plan to win. I have no school, but will give you teams scheduling I admire in football are Highlands and Ryle, and in basketball Holmes, and in baseball CovCath and Beechwood. I think you will see that with the lone exception of Ryle in football that this tough scheduling by the various coaches prepares those teams very well for postseason competition.

I think most anyone would agree that they would rather win a regional championship than All "A" state runner-up, but nonetheless it's still not "disappointing". But again, Holy Cross was six outs away from going to region last year.

I don't think Holy Cross uses the fact that they play in a tough district as an excuse. (Quite honestly if HC was in a disctrict like Dixie's for example then I think a regional bid every year is not out of the question, basketball or baseball).

On the topic of scheduling Holy Cross is no stranger to welcoming challenges. Holy Cross had scheduled Ryle every year up until last year but made up for it by scheduling Bishop Ready (no. 2 in their class in Ohio). Believe me, Kozerski is more eager than many to schedule the best. Give the football program time and I can gaurantee great things.

I think most anyone would agree that they would rather win a regional championship than All "A" state runner-up, but nonetheless it's still not "disappointing". But again, Holy Cross was six outs away from going to region last year.

I don't think Holy Cross uses the fact that they play in a tough district as an excuse. (Quite honestly if HC was in a disctrict like Dixie's for example then I think a regional bid every year is not out of the question, basketball or baseball).

On the topic of scheduling Holy Cross is no stranger to welcoming challenges. Holy Cross had scheduled Ryle every year up until last year but made up for it by scheduling Bishop Ready (no. 2 in their class in Ohio). Believe me, Kozerski is more eager than many to schedule the best. Give the football program time and I can gaurantee great things.

ETS I know we are way off topic so this will be my final word on the matter and then I will let you have the final say. I am not a Ryle fan, but Ryle as a school is only 18 years old this year and they have won a girls fast pitch softball championship (one classification for the state) and have been in the football finals at the highest class level, so the wait and see how it develops part is now old news for Holy Cross. As a matter of fact, now Walton Verona and Brossart have newer programs than Holy Cross. In football the Indians simply can't make it past the second round of the playoffs in a very watered down 6 classification system. I like Bruce Kozerski very much as a person, but am not so sure how great a head coach he is. The record just isn't there to back it up. Just because you played at the highest level doesn't always translate into coaching well at the high school level.

I have watched the Indians from the beginning of their football days with John Wysong as the boss and believe that their best teams were in 2003 + 2004. Since that point in time they have been very much up + down, and nobody believes they are going to contend for the AA state championship this year. I want the Indians to be better in all sports make no mistake about that.

Edited by History
spelling

Hey history tell the boys on the hill to start playing Highlands in football and move up two classes. they never could win when they had to play the big boys. HC have alot tougher District then NCC.

Hey history tell the boys on the hill to start playing Highlands in football and move up two classes. they never could win when they had to play the big boys. HC have alot tougher District then NCC.[/QUOTE]

Marely-please return after looking up the facts. ETS Factor at least puts some thought into his comments. If you read previous posts in this thread, we have already dismissed your excuse for the Indians. If HC wants to make it to the region in two sports, they need to step it up. I think NCC should play Highlands in football. I also don't think it would be much of a game, and maybe Highlands wouldn't see any benefit to it. In the sport of football that you are referring to, Holy Cross is an average 2A program in the state at best.

Hey history tell the boys on the hill to start playing Highlands in football and move up two classes. they never could win when they had to play the big boys. HC have alot tougher District then NCC.

What are you talking about?

NewCath is AA by enrollment, and it would make no sense to move up to 4A. Do you know how long they were in AAA to make that statement? Just wondering who you considered the big boys to be.

Been around NCC sports for along time,watch them play in the GCL in the late 60's was at the game in 73 when NC beat Highlands 15 to 14,later that year NC played Henry Clay in the playoff and lost. The next time they won the District was in 79, then they did not even come close until 84 when they drop to AA in 84. And for the big boys, CovCath and Highlands they have not beat CovCath but once in the last twenty years.

Been around NCC sports for along time,watch them play in the GCL in the late 60's was at the game in 73 when NC beat Highlands 15 to 14,later that year NC played Henry Clay in the playoff and lost. The next time they won the District was in 79, then they did not even come close until 84 when they drop to AA in 84. And for the big boys, CovCath and Highlands they have not beat CovCath but once in the last twenty years.

Obviously you have a real ax to grind with NCC. Nobody in their program rapps Highlands and says they could beat them. Highlands and CovCath SHOULD beat NCC. The same way NCC SHOULD beat Dayton and Bellevue. No one is contesting that. It appears you just want a pound of flesch. That is why they have classifications in football.

What's your point? Those schools are bigger than NewCath and in general have more athletes. That's like saying that CovCath should beat Elder and Moeller more.

What's your point? Those schools are bigger than NewCath and in general have more athletes. That's like saying that CovCath should beat Elder and Moeller more.

My point is don't put down a School that has a tougher District.Bellevue, Dayton, Newport are no powerhouse year after year in any sport. I under stand what History is saying, but by the way Highlands should never win a playoff game because the Schools they play are bigger and in general have more athletes.:idunno: