Referee Focus 2009/10

So hoopit, if you, Mr. AThletics, and I are calling a game together and I miss an obvious walk on one end, are you guys going to let one go uncalled on the other end?

From what I have seen here is that one ref does not want to step on another refs toes and over-rule the call. Sad but many calls are missed by an official and the others don't want to "Have to" make that call and make the other ref look bad. I have seen many fouls this year called by the ref who is not in the best position to make/see the call and the one right in front of it does not. Very inconsistient - biggest problem that will never ever go away.

From what I have seen here is that one ref does not want to step on another refs toes and over-rule the call. Sad but many calls are missed by an official and the others don't want to "Have to" make that call and make the other ref look bad. I have seen many fouls this year called by the ref who is not in the best position to make/see the call and the one right in front of it does not. Very inconsistient - biggest problem that will never ever go away.

Actually I would question why the "other" ref is even looking in the area right in front of another official. He should not be "ball watching" out of his primary coverage area.

If you want to get ultimate consistency out of officials, go to your Athletic Director and ask why EVERY VARSITY GAME IS NOT A THREE MAN. That is the Home Team's choice. If you want officials to be absolutely consistant in the three man system, they need to work it every night, not once a month.

If you don't understand the coverage areas for either the three or two man system, then don't assume you know whose call it should be.

ATM, as always -- you've been the voice of enlightenment in the storm.

If you want to get ultimate consistency out of officials, go to your Athletic Director and ask why EVERY VARSITY GAME IS NOT A THREE MAN. That is the Home Team's choice. If you want officials to be absolutely consistant in the three man system, they need to work it every night, not once a month.

If you don't understand the coverage areas for either the three or two man system, then don't assume you know whose call it should be.

There are referees out there that do not like the three man. In there opinion, the refs are waiting for the other two to make the call and nothing gets called. This comes from a veteran referee.

There are referees out there that do not like the three man. In there opinion, the refs are waiting for the other two to make the call and nothing gets called. This comes from a veteran referee.

That is exactly why they should be all worked as a three. So that every referee has the same comfort factor with the game.

Costs more money to have a three man- does it not? There is your answer. As for 2 or 3 man coverage area, please enlighten us on where they should or should not be looking so we can learn who to blame when they miss the call.

Costs more money to have a three man- does it not? There is your answer. As for 2 or 3 man coverage area, please enlighten us on where they should or should not be looking so we can learn who to blame when they miss the call.

One example:

Drive to the basket and the defender goaltends. No whistle. Coach is ALL OVER the official who was right under the basket as its obviously his call since was the closest.

Problem is that its the outside official's call. The guy under the basket is watching the bodies . He's not looking at the basket.

YET, he's the one who will be labeled as "supreme sucko."

Per the KHSAA Officials' Guidebook:

"$50 per official for a two man crew, $40 per official for a three man crew"

Each region is alotted different amounts by their own Board of Control, but I don't think the $20 difference is going to bankrupt a program.

As for coverage areas, please review the documents at:

http://www.intra-focus.com/taso/DOCS/2009-10ThreePersonMechanics.pdf

These are a couple years old but with minor exceptions are correct.

One example:

Drive to the basket and the defender goaltends. No whistle. Coach is ALL OVER the official who was right under the basket as its obviously his call since was the closest.

Problem is that its the outside official's call. The guy under the basket is watching the bodies . He's not looking at the basket.

YET, he's the one who will be labeled as "supreme sucko."

How'd you know that was my title???:thumb:

From the 2009-10 NFHS Basketball Points of Emphasis for Referees:

1. Travelling

2. Closely Guarded

3. Three Seconds

4. Block / Charge

5. Free Throw Administration

If this is true.......I grade the officials I have seen a low D.

:ohbrother: